Dai Gyakuten Saiban

Rapier

So, I've been playing through the translation and I can say I'm having a blast with the game so far. I've played up to case 3 and for now I can say that the writing does stand up to the series' standards (also, what the hell, a third case that is actually good...?). It's really unfortunate that the game's being held in an eternal No Export for You situation due to (or more likely because of) copyright issues.

3 hours ago, Jingle Bells said:

I thought that Dai Gyakuten Saiban wasn't translated into English due to the very Japanese influences on the title?

It might be a combination of some things that would make it incredibly hard to localize and the copyright on Sherlock Holmes that is keeping it from the west.

18 hours ago, Jingle Bells said:

I thought that Dai Gyakuten Saiban wasn't translated into English due to the very Japanese influences on the title?

It's just a guess, but I think there are plenty of reasons for it to not be localized. Even so, I'd say the US' copyright law is the biggest impediment to a localization, since it heavily references some of Sherlock Holmes' cases and characters, including from books that are not on public domain. The others would be the heavy japanese influences (but still, I think one can cope with them without much issue, if the translation is decent) and very present racism in the game (which I find a stupid reason, but anyway).

There's a decent fan translation for cases 1-4, though.