FE Genealogy - Pick My Pairings!

Ertrick36

So I've been doing some LP's this thread and I recently incorporated Genealogy (specifically at this post) into my weekly schedule that is only somewhat adhered to.

And as of a few weeks ago, I've already decided the 1st Gen pairings thanks to other users.  They are as follows:

• Ayra x Arden
  • Aideen x Jamke
  • Briggid x Holyn/Chulainn
  • Fury x Claude
  • Lachesis x Naoise
  • Sylvia x Nobody
  • Tailtiu x Levin

So I'd like to ask that anyone offering suggestions:

• Refrain from giving me any more 1st Gen pairings.  They're locked in now.
  • Remind yourself that I've already played the game before in a fairly optimized way, so please don't talk to me as if I never even touched the game before.  Seriously, stop bumping the thread just to either give some 1st Gen pairings or to tell me how those pairings aren't the best.  Believe me, I know exactly what I'm doing with these pairings, I know Lex is objectively better than Arden as a father, and I know about what may or may not be wrong with some of these pairings.  Though go ahead and throw suggestions about who should have what items/weapons, as I haven't entirely decided who should hold onto what.
  • Go ahead and offer recommendations 2nd Gen pairings.  They aren't as important, and there's still plenty of time before I get around to that part of the game.
  • Bear in mind that anything else said in this thread will only be taken as potential considerations, not as commands of gods.  Don't be surprised if I decide that Tailtiu should hold onto the Defense Ring instead of Levin despite maybe one guy adamantly telling me that I should give it to Levin.
Edited by Ertrick36

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jamke - Aideen: Lester gets the Killer Bow, Lana isn't really hurt by any father.

Noish/Holyn - Ayra: Her kids don't need any help, but they appreciate those skills. Noish has more interesting skills but Holyn has a couple of convos.

Finn - Lachesis: FE5 canon, and a second-gen conversation. Finn passes on Pursuit, they'll be fine.

Dew - Sylvia: If you want someone else to inherit the Leg and Knight Rings Leen will have an easier time buying them. Corple also gets cheap staves.

Levin - Fury: One old pairing is alright.

Claude - Tailtiu: They get a conversation, and Tinny will get A staves on promotion so she can be an alternate staffbot. Though Arthur gets a raw deal.

Midir - Brigid: It doesn't outright cripple the kids, and they get a couple of conversations.

How about Lexesis? Tanky cavs, if lacking Pursuit (or should it now be known as Followup?), plus Paragon of course. Nanna can be healer who doesn't faint when an enemy hits her. Roughly ~7 base Def, +6 from promotion, which should equate to hitting the 24 Def cap by like level 22(?). Toss a Brave Sword or the Followup Ring and she'll be great, Diarmuid too of course.

As for a Gen 2 pairing, Paisy x Coilot. The two don't have a marriage convo together, but they're both on the young side and have a convo that give LP.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Aideen x death
Ayra x death
Lachesis x death
Sylvia x death
Fury x death
Tiltyu x death
Brigid x death

Edited by Roxas

I'd like to go by the rules of one pair per user, btw.  Sorry I didn't make that very clear.

5 minutes ago, Roxas said:

Aideen x death
Ayra x death
Lachesis x death
Sylvia x death
Fury x death
Tiltyu x death
Brigid x death

Also want serious answers.

I'll do a subs-only run one day, but this isn't gonna be that day.  I'm let's playing this to people who may not have ever seen this game, I'd like to demonstrate one of the game's main features.

Edited by Ertrick36

I was giving you two options for each girl, but then your last post came out asking for one pair per user so I deleted all my work. Oh well. The pair I'll recommend is....

Sylvia x Dew

An underrated pairing, but one that works pretty well. With Dew as a father, Sylvia's children will get the Bargain skill. Since both of them require a lot of money, but don't have offensive abilities to finance their purchases, Bargain is the best inheritable skill for Lene and Coirpre other than Paragon. Both of them benefit from having Bargain: Lene may need to buy some rings if she doesn't start off with them or a better sword to defend herself with. Coirpre benefits more for having Bargain because staff repairs are expensive AF, especially the ones he'll be using because he needs high EXP reaping staves to catch up with everyone.

Lene also gets Sun Sword, but this is situational. Although the Twins use this skill the best, Sun Sword is useful for Lene if you decide to put her in the arena and that one rare moment she got put in enemy range and happens to proc Sun Sword to regain some HP.

This couple doesn't have any conversations though.

hey well, sylvia x death is legit then. At least it shows you that some of the subs are unique in their own right, and get little bonuses that make up for their lack of inheritance.

brigid x death is interesting too, at least from a story perspective. muh hitman of conote Asaello feels out of place in an army thats made up of fancy schmancy nobles with their holy blood, and curses his existence for not having any magical crusader powers flowing through his veins. meanwhile faval gets like +20 in stats and Life because of uh, his parents aren't dead. 

31 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

I was giving you two options for each girl, but then your last post came out asking for one pair per user so I deleted all my work. Oh well. The pair I'll recommend is....

I mean, you can offer two options.  I'd just say voice whichever one you want most first (and make it clear that it's the one you would want the most), and then voice your sloppy seconds.  Maybe list the one you'd want most in bold, and have the rest in italics, or however else you'd like to format it.

I just don't want people making entire lists for me and me having to sift through all the replies to find the most common choices.  If I wanted the most commonly asked for pairings here, I would've made a poll.

Lewyn x Tailitu - Arthur with Forsetti will be way better than Ced with Forsetti, despite what Thracia might show. When Arthur promotes into a horse, you get Horsetti, and that's just fun to mess around with, plus it shows off another main mechanic of FE4, that being that horses are stupidly overpowered. Fury's children are fine regardless, since they're both pretty good no matter the parent, so don't worry about breaking away from the canon pairing. Oh yeah, Tinny also gets off pretty good due to it, since it fixes her subpar speed.

Arden x Ayra - It gives her kids vantage, and then they both inherit swords. That and my main man Arden deserves more love, so why not give him some of it? In addition, it gives her kids some much needed bulk, and he won't hurt any of their other stats in the slightest due to Ayra being pretty good overall.

Holyn (Formally known as Dude you get in the Arena) x Briggid - Anyways, this is a pretty good pairing due to the fact that Briggid passes her items down to the son, and the Dude passes them down to Patty. Since the Dude uses swords, Patty has some leg up. Mr. Dude is fairly tanky, and just an all around good unit with some holy blood to boot. I forget his skills, but I think he has some good ones.

And for the kids

Seliph x Julia - Second gen pairings are mostly irrelevant imo. Some small stat boosts endgame at most, but with this pairing you show off FE4's most important mechanic. INSEST FOR THE WINSEST. 

Edited by DarthR0xas

13 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I mean, you can offer two options.  I'd just say voice whichever one you want most first (and make it clear that it's the one you would want the most), and then voice your sloppy seconds.  Maybe list the one you'd want most in bold, and have the rest in italics, or however else you'd like to format it.

I just don't want people making entire lists for me and me having to sift through all the replies to find the most common choices.  If I wanted the most commonly asked for pairings here, I would've made a poll.

Oh ok. I'm pretty happy with Dew x Sylvia. Laylea and Charlot are cool too though, and they got Cipher art recently.

Although if you're feeling experimental, Briggid x Lewyn may be interesting.

No conversation, but a Runaway Prince and a Lost Princess? Sounds romantic to me. I haven't tried this pairing, but I am curious about it. Faval won't gain much and won't need to because Ichival. However Patty will be a speed demon with an 11 base and 95% growth. I thought she would be a good magic sword user but with base magic of 1 and a growth of 35%, I'm not so sure. At least she'll be able to dodge shit at Yied.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As for a Gen 2 pairing, Paisy x Coilot. The two don't have a marriage convo together, but they're both on the young side and have a convo that give LP.

Oh yeah, and folks can feel free to suggest 2nd Gen pairings.  I won't heed them as closely as I would Gen 1 pairings, but I might agree.  Though for Seliph, I'm strongly leaning towards Lana, Tine (I'm led to believe she's of proper wedding age despite the FE wiki's claims), or their subs.  For the record, my Gen 2 pairings were:

• Seliph x Larcei
  • Leif x Nanna
  • Aless x Lene
  • Shannan x Patty
  • Sety x Tine
  • Ulster x Lana
  • Oifaye x Fee

Anyway, who the hell are Paisy and Coilot?  You referring to Daisy and Coirpre/Charlot?

15 minutes ago, DarthR0xas said:

Seliph x Julia - Second gen pairings are mostly irrelevant imo. Some small stat boosts endgame at most, but with this pairing you show off FE4's most important mechanic. INSEST FOR THE WINSEST. 

That's not an easy pairing to do.  Relies heavily on exploits not explained in-game.  I mean, I could figure it out, but I've kind of already got other biases for Seliph in particular.

Lewyn x Tailitu - Arthur with Forsetti will be way better than Ced with Forsetti, despite what Thracia might show. When Arthur promotes into a horse, you get Horsetti, and that's just fun to mess around with, plus it shows off another main mechanic of FE4, that being that horses are stupidly overpowered.

I'm unsure of whether or not I'd want to do this pairing just because of how ridiculously broken it makes Arthur.  But at the same time, I'd actually like to use Tine, and that B-rank in Wind she gets from the minor Sety blood would help tremendously.

Arden x Ayra - It gives her kids vantage, and then they both inherit swords. That and my main man Arden deserves more love, so why not give him some of it? In addition, it gives her kids some much needed bulk, and he won't hurt any of their other stats in the slightest due to Ayra being pretty good overall.

This is helped by the fact that A) their movement stat is closer than other units and B) they actually do have a conversation together.  Also, Arden's sort of like a diet coke version of Lex for Ayra's kids.

Dude you get in the Arena x Briggid - Sorry, I forgot his name.

Given that he's got at least two entirely different translated names, that's understandable.  I usually call him "Holyn", as in "hollin" which is shorthand for "hollering".  I don't know, I just have a dumb way of remembering things.

Anyway, I'd say this is the most helpful for Patty.  It's a shame all of Briggid's good pairings for Patty don't have any convos; they're all with bow users and Alec.

All of your Gen 1 recommendations are good, but I'll have to wait for what others will say.

6 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Oh ok. I'm pretty happy with Dew x Sylvia. Laylea and Charlot are cool too though, and they got Cipher art recently.

Yeah, right now it's pretty much either gonna be that pairing for her or none.  Only issue is Coirpre won't have any staves, but that's not difficult to rectify through a simple visit to the pawn shop.

7 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

No conversation, but a Runaway Prince and a Lost Princess? Sounds romantic to me. I haven't tried this pairing, but I am curious about it. Faval won't gain much and won't need to because Ichival. However Patty will be a speed demon with an 11 base and 95% growth. I thought she would be a good magic sword user but with base magic of 1 and a growth of 35%, I'm not so sure. At least she'll be able to dodge shit at Yied.

I mean, Fee has the same base magic stat and an even lower growth (25%), but she's known for being a competent magic sword user.  Though Fee also has the advantage of being a pegasus knight which is generally more able to flee from danger than Patty the thief is.

A rather unorthodox pair, regardless.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

How about Lexesis? Tanky cavs, if lacking Pursuit (or should it now be known as Followup?), plus Paragon of course. Nanna can be healer who doesn't faint when an enemy hits her. Roughly ~7 base Def, +6 from promotion, which should equate to hitting the 24 Def cap by like level 22(?). Toss a Brave Sword or the Followup Ring and she'll be great, Diarmuid too of course.

No convos though because Lachesis only dates blondies.

If only Delmud could use axes...  Actually nevermind, axes blow in this game.  The only reason Lex is so good is 'cuz of Paragon, the Brave Axe, and getting stupidly good defense and strength.

So far, the most likely 1st Gen pairings are as follows ("~" indicates less likely options following it):

• Ayra - Arden ~ Holyn | leaning more towards the former than the latter - the Ayra kids with major holy blood sounds cool and all, but I think Holyn could have other uses than making those kids redundantly better, while Arden's best bet is with someone almost as slow as him
  • Aideen - ~ Jamke | not enough discussion here, though the one pairing I've seen recommended is not bad except it's rather common
  • Briggid - Holyn/no one ~ Levin | I'd either like to super buff Patty into an actually viable combat unit or see what the "Hitman from Conote" can offer; Lewyn is tempting, though I'm worried about Patty's lack of inheritance from him
  • Fury - ~ Levin | not enough discussion, as much as I love this pairing for Fury's sake (in the same vein as I like Oboro x Takumi or Katarina x Kris), this is one I'm less keen on repeating
  • Lachesis - Lex | I will see what others may recommend for all the other pairings first, but it's an interesting recommendation and will probably be used if the rest are good
  • Sylvia - Dew/no one | could swing either way, I think there are valid reasons for either one
  • Tailtiu - ~ Levin/Claude | these pairs either come with the issue of breaking or neutering Arthur, but I'm considering them because they both make a better Tine than Azel or anyone else could and I'm kind of biased towards her because of her tragic upbringing (and I kind of want to use her to kill Hilda)

I'm surprised no one has tried to pair Finn up with anyone.  Maybe everyone's equally reticent to strip the man of his weapons as I am.

24 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I'm surprised no one has tried to pair Finn up with anyone.  Maybe everyone's equally reticent to strip the man of his weapons as I am.

Oh, I'm a major Finn x Lachesis man myself, but I still strip him of most of his gear to put on Fury.

Alright, I'll throw some suggestions. I doubt you'll consider most of these but:

Aideen: Now, I know I could suggest someone like Claude for his staff rank for Lana. But nah, I'm going to suggest Azel. This pairing does hurt Lester, but it's not as much of a dumpster fire and does give him Pursuit while also making Lana pretty capable in combat herself. Bow inheritance is a pain though, it'd be understandable if you didn't want to pick it.

Ayra: Personally I think Dew's an underrated pairing, but I'm going to suggest Jamke here for the combat utility. Simply put, this pairing has great potential in regards to amount of attacks what with having Charge, Continue and Pursuit on both of them. Noish is pretty similar, though Skashaha won't get Continue but they both get Critical while inheritance is easier.

Lachesis: My suggestion for this is Alec. He's got similar growths to Finn, has it easier when passing down sword and Nihil means that horseslayers are of no concern.

Silvia: If you're going to pair her, might as well go with someone out there. But no pairing works too, people seem to love that 10% charisma for some reason. Another option is Lewyn, probably the most nerfed Holsety carrier and gives both kids some needed dodge.

Fury: Now, hear me out. While Noish has some decent reasons to be picked, I'll suggest Claude here. Simply put, neither of them are that stuck for skills, both use staves so they both get the rank boost and you'll get the Valkyrie staff, Fee can really use magic here and Sety's bases are good enough that he isn't bothered by having Claude as his dad. Inheritance is not a problem here either.

Tailtiu: Okay, so Lewyn make sense here. I'm a bit on the fence with the Claude suggestion and want to be stupid though. Lex. You already know why: Wrath + Vantage. They'll also be able to actually use their swords better than usual, though it won't be as good as Ayra's kids. Inheritance is also a problem.

Brigged: I can tell you Chulainn's great as a dad to Patty and Faval from experience. I'm going to suggest Beowolf or Dew here though. Beowolf gives some needed skills with Charge and Pursuit (which can hurt Patty, but I doubt it will come up), while Dew gives the ever useful Bargain and Sol (Patty can do real well as a thief, while Faval gets to repair for cheap. You know what that means.). No inheritance issues either.

3 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Anyway, I'd say this is the most helpful for Patty.  It's a shame all of Briggid's good pairings for Patty don't have any convos; they're all with bow users and Alec.

I mean, Fee has the same base magic stat and an even lower growth (25%), but she's known for being a competent magic sword user.  Though Fee also has the advantage of being a pegasus knight which is generally more able to flee from danger than Patty the thief is.

A rather unorthodox pair, regardless.

• Aideen - ~ Jamke | not enough discussion here, though the one pairing I've seen recommended is not bad except it's rather common
  • Briggid - Holyn/no one ~ Levin | I'd either like to super buff Patty into an actually viable combat unit or see what the "Hitman from Conote" can offer; Lewyn is tempting, though I'm worried about Patty's lack of inheritance from him

Wait if Fee is considered a good magic sword user than Patty would probably be a great one then. It would be so much easier for her to steal money with a ranged magic sword and put people to sleep. Yeah, she would have to buy swords, but just magic swords. Holyn is a great father though; she's actually a decent sword fighter and gets inheritance + Luna.

Even if you go with Holyn, I think I'll try a playthrough myself with Briggid x Lewyn and see how Patty turns out. Holyn!Patty is pretty great. Holyn as a father is pretty underrated IMO. He's great for any kid with a sword, which is a lot of them. Even Lene can become a decent offensive unit with Holyn as her father.

If you want discussion on Aideen, I can give it a try. For some reason, I've been liking Aideen a lot of lately and she works well with a few fathers. Although Jamke is my favorite pairing for her, if you want someone a little more uncommon, I'd recommend Finn. He gives Lester good physical bases and Pursuit. As for Lana, he'll have a conversation with her in CH7 which will give her 5 points of magic. Lana also gets Miracle, which is always nice for healers. He's the only father that "meets in the middle" for Aideen's kids. And since they're all alive by the end of Gen 2, it's one of the only pairings in this game where the couple can actually grow old together and live a happy life after the wars. Plus, it gives us an explanation on why Lester's hair is blue. I have tried this pairing myself and I liked the result.

Don't want Finn to give up his stuff? Then Beowulf is your man. He will give Lester no bows unfortunately, but will give him Pursuit and Charge, which are both pretty useful for Lester's class. Lana doesn't really benefit but she'll be a staff bot anyways.

Although I would recommend Jamke/Finn over Beowulf though. I would say Jamke > Finn > Beowulf, but all 3 will make a good Lester. Finn will make the best Lana out of the 3 though. 

Ugh I hate finding fathers for Lester, due to the lack of bow users in Gen 1; it's no fun trying new experiments with Lester when it takes forever in Gen 2 to get his hands on the Killer Bow.

as we're apparently going from one pairing suggestion to multiple ones, i'll just include them all in order to give a complete overview with details( and also because people can get more ideas out of it ).

what follows is the traditional pairings that i've always used in my previous and current playthroughs. they've always ended up being useful in a way or another, however items swapping also played a major role in 2nd generation:

Sigurd - Deirdre

└ Details: forced pairing driven by the game.

└ Overview: it would be wise to use the silver sword as much as possible in order to reach 50 kills and unlock the weapon's critical chance.

the Elite ring can be very useful for both Sigurd and Seliph.

Cuan - Ethlin

└ Details: forced pairing driven by the game. it gives extra conversations and items throu the game up until the end of the 1st generation.

└ Overview: it would be a good idea to give a silver sword to Ethlin as soon as possible, since Leaf will be able to have a decent melee weapon in 2nd generation.

the Knight Killer lance works very well on Cuan too, and will work even better on Altenna.

the Elite ring can be a real blessing for Leaf.

Jamka - Adean

└ Details: one of the canon pairings. it gives extra conversations and items throu the game up until the end of the 1st generation. for those who like to have strong and useful units.

└ Overview: a pairing mainly used for Lester, since he will be a well balanced mounted archer with the Killer bow from his father, and eventually the Brave bow her mother gifted to Jamka.

Killer bow + Skill ring is also a good combination for both Jamka and Lester, and it will be more than enough as main weapon throu the whole game.

Lana will be a decent healer, while getting all the B grade staffs from her mother.

Holyn - Ira

└ Details: one of the canon pairings. it gives extra conversations and items throu the game up until the end of the 1st generation. for those who like strong units, especially swordmasters with high class-based stats.

└ Overview: thanks to Holyn, Ira will get a Brave sword and their Holy Blood will become enriched in 2nd generation, maxing their sons stats even further.

needless to say, a Silver blade on Holyn is always good, especially after it gets 50 kills. both children can get awesome swords by the start of the 2nd generation.

the Speed ring works well on Lakche, and the Power ring works well on Skasaher.

Noish - Lachesis

└ Details: one of the canon pairings. it gives only extra conversations by the end of the 1st generation. for those who like to have balanced and versatile units.

└ Overview: the children will have overall balanced stats, and they will be good at both supporting allies and dealing damage thanks to their passive skills.

as much as Noish, Delmud can work really well with a Defender sword + Shield ring, and be useful as much as Oifaye during early 2nd generation chapters.

Midir - Brigid

└ Details: one of the canon pairings. it gives only extra conversations throu the game up until the end of the 1st generation. for those who like balanced units.

└ Overview: the children will be quite balanced, althou Faval will be the one that will profit the most from this pairing due to weapon inheritance from her mother.

Crusader bow + Power ring can be a strong combo, and a Brave bow eventually helps not only with dealing damage, but also with saving money for the Crusader weapon.

Levin - Fury

└ Details: one of the canon pairings. it gives only extra conversations throu the game up until the end of the 1st generation. for those who want impressive and versatile units.

└ Overview: the children will have one of the most powerful builds in the game due to their stats and skills. Sety will become a godlike mage thanks to his Crusader weapon, while Fee will become a very agile Pegasus knight.

Barrier sword + Barrier ring is a killer combo on Fee, and can easily become the bane of mages.

Lex - Tiltyu

└ Details: usually an overlooked pairing. it gives only extra conversations by the end of the 1st generation. for those who like to play with versatile units.

└ Overview: an odd pairing with an odd goal: reward risky play. in other words, it shines only when a unit is at low HP.

considering how 2nd generation plays out, it will be a build useful mostly( if not only ) for Arthur. he will level up faster thanks to his father skills, and can become quite versatile after promotion.

some people eventually end up playing him as a knight with Defender sword + Shield ring after promotion, making him a front-line tanking unit with occasional damage spikes when he goes to low health.

otherwise, when he reaches a critical hp situation, people using this build usually switch to tomes and abuse his passive skills in order to not only attack always first, but also to deal stronger nukes with the right spells.

give or take, it depends on the situation.

Sylvia - Alec/nobody

└ Details: one of the canon pairings. it gives only extra conversations throu the game up until the end of the 1st generation. for those who like to play around with background stories.

└ Overview: based mostly on personal preferences. to be more specific:

- by pairing the two of them, you will end up having a dancer with better survival skills in case you want to try arenas for money, but that's it. there's really nothing else to gain from them.

- by not pairing them and leaving Sylvia alone, you can get alternative characters that will give you access to more useful items, given you know where/how to get them.

these items are the Barrier sword and the Berserk staff, two items that should never be underestimated, especially in late game chapters.

Edited by Fenreir

Well first of all, I demand that you pair Brigid with Holyn, cuz Patty needs to exist :P

Second of all, I'd recommend pairing Sylvia with Dew instead of killing her off, that way she buy the Leg Ring from Seliph at a cheaper price once he promotes (cuz I assume you'll be giving her the Knight Ring if you do decide to pair her mother). While Charm is a nice skill to have, Laylea shouldn't be anywhere near combat, whereas Lene is able to join with the Leg and/or Knight Rings right when you get her. To me, that's much more useful than a third Charm unit in a playthrough where the only substitutes are Laylea and Sharlow.

Edited by Gregster101

1 hour ago, Fenreir said:

as we're apparently going from one pairing suggestion to multiple ones

What I meant was that I wanted people to give one pairing they'd recommend the most and offer maybe a few other ones, but I guess at this point this PMP is off the rails, into a dumpster fire anyway and now it's become a "Suggest My Pairings".

4 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Ugh I hate finding fathers for Lester, due to the lack of bow users in Gen 1; it's no fun trying new experiments with Lester when it takes forever in Gen 2 to get his hands on the Killer Bow.

That's always the problem, isn't it?  The weapons that the units use.  It's like, you either get cases like Finn where the father can't pass down any weapons, or you get cases like Lester where only a couple fathers will pass him down weapons.  Then all you really can do in either case is just load them up with rings, like they're frickin' big time rappers who gotta show off where all their money went.

At least the mothers are all straightforward.

In any case, I will probably settle on Jamke being Lester's father.  Somewhat similar to something I did before, but it's different enough.

5 hours ago, Dayni said:

Alright, I'll throw some suggestions. I doubt you'll consider most of these but

Now you see, the reason why I might not go with them is because a some of them are a bit too "out there" for what I would want to do.  Understand that I'm recording this and my hope is that I'll be able to show it to a couple of people I know who have never played or even seen this game.  So while I will accept some that are "out there", I don't want an abundance of ones that are completely unorthodox, and that's mostly because I want to showcase certain elements of this game and too many unorthodox pairs can hinder that.

That being said, Fury x Claude and Tailtiu x Claude/Lex aren't bad recommendations.  In fact, I might seriously consider Tailtiu x Lex because lots of guaranteed enemy-phase crits sounds fun even at the expense of the kids' magic.  I'll just slap one of 'em with a magic ring (probably Arthur due to lower magic growths) and call it a day.  And Fury x Claude is the only other recommendation I've heard, and it's a perfectly viable one too (only hindered by the difficulty of its acquisition and lack of convos)

2 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

cuz I assume you'll be giving her the Knight Ring if you do decide to pair her mother

It's dangerous to make assumptions.

Though regardless, I would like to hand whatever dancer I get the cavalier rings because a mobile dancer in this game is more broken useful than a mobile anything else.

But I'm also not necessarily looking for the most efficient pairs, more the pairs that would make my LP an interesting one.  In my book, Laylea and Charlot are viable enough.  So are some of the other subs, such as Amid, Linda, Hawk, and Asaello.  Though Sylvia x Dew is still an option.

8 hours ago, Fenreir said:

Sylvia - Alec/nobody

└ Details: one of the canon pairings. it gives only extra conversations throu the game up until the end of the 1st generation. for those who like to play around with background stories.

└ Overview: based mostly on personal preferences. to be more specific:

- by pairing the two of them, you will end up having a dancer with better survival skills in case you want to try arenas for money, but that's it. there's really nothing else to gain from them.

- by not pairing them and leaving Sylvia alone, you can get alternative characters that will give you access to more useful items, given you know where/how to get them.

these items are the Barrier sword and the Berserk staff, two items that should never be underestimated, especially in late game chapters.

Alec doesn't really give Lene better survival skills. In fact, he's a pretty mediocre father for Lene if you want emphasize her survival skills. Lex and Arden will give her better Strength + Defense. Lex will also give her Paragon, which allows her to gain EXP faster as well, allowing her to bulk up quicker. Arden gives her vantage, which allows her to attack first too. Lewyn is also a better survival father because he gives her a base speed of 11 and a 65% growth. Lewyn!Lene is fastest dancer in the game and the only one that will dodge often. And they have a conversation together which results in Lene getting 5 points of defense. Claud will give her tremendous resistance and she can be more efficient than Laylea with the Barrier Sword.

If you want her to go to the arena, Chulainn is a great father because he gives her a decent offensive stat spread as well B rank in swords. She'll be able to use the Hero Sword and Luna. In some Japanese FE4 videos I've watched, this pairing came up quite a bit to show Lene kicking ass.

Then again she's a dancer so it really doesn't matter too much anyways.

2 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Alec doesn't really give Lene better survival skills. In fact, he's a pretty mediocre father for Lene if you want emphasize her survival skills. Lex and Arden will give her better Strength + Defense. Lex will also give her Paragon, which allows her to gain EXP faster as well, allowing her to bulk up quicker. Arden gives her vantage, which allows her to attack first too. Lewyn is also a better survival father because he gives her a base speed of 11 and a 65% growth. Lewyn!Lene is fastest dancer in the game and the only one that will dodge often. And they have a conversation together which results in Lene getting 5 points of defense. Claud will give her tremendous resistance and she can be more efficient than Laylea with the Barrier Sword.

If you want her to go to the arena, Chulainn is a great father because he gives her a decent offensive stat spread as well B rank in swords. She'll be able to use the Hero Sword and Luna. In some Japanese FE4 videos I've watched, this pairing came up quite a bit to show Lene kicking ass.

Then again she's a dancer so it really doesn't matter too much anyways.

perhaps i should have been a bit more specific, since i gave for obvious that Lene gets her default survival skills mainly from her mother( Prayer ). as far as i remember, the other alternative dancer doesn't have Prayer. i could be wrong thou, haven't been playing FE4 for a while.

then of course, there's also other characters than can eventually improve Lene's build further. i simply choose Alec due to extra conversations, something that the other characters that were left after fixing my main pairings probably would not have provided.

besides, i don't really like playing a dancer as offensive unit because i'd rather prefer to unlock 4 units at once and keep the dancer safe in the back rows, but that's just me.

there's also people who make Chulainn(Holyn?)xBrigid in order to make a viable Patty just for fun, so it's all about personal preferences in the end.

Edited by Fenreir

5 minutes ago, Fenreir said:

perhaps i should have been a bit more specific, since i gave for obvious that Lene gets her default survival skills mainly from her mother( Prayer ). as far as i remember, the other alternative dancer doesn't have Prayer. i could be wrong thou, haven't been playing FE4 for a while.

then of course, there's also other characters than can eventually improve Lene's build further. i simply choose Alec due to extra conversations, something that the other remaining characters from my pairings probably would not have provided.

besides, i don't really like playing a dancer as offensive unit because i'd rather prefer to unlock 4 units at once and keep the dancer safe in the back rows, but that's just me.

there's also people who make Chulainn(Holyn?)xBrigid in order to make a viable Patty just for fun, so it's all about personal preferences in the end.

You're right about the alt dancer, Laylea; she has Charisma (which some people prefer her over).

And yep, Alec gives her plenty of conversations.

And yeah, I prefer Chulainn as Patty's father more because Patty needs the help more than Lene.

For me, Lene's survivability doesn't matter much.  The only dancers I've ever had confidence in using in combat are Olivia and Phina.  If she is to have a father, it absolutely ought to be someone who could give her a good utility skill like Dew with Bargain.  Same goes for Coirpre since healbots in this game aren't typically good combatants.

So far, these are the pairings I'm thinking of going with:

• Ayra x Arden
  • Aideen x Jamke
  • Briggid x Holyn/Chulainn
  • Fury x Claude
  • Lachesis x Naoise (?) ~ I'm gonna have to decide between Finn, Alec, Lex, and Naoise, and right now I'm biased towards the latter
  • Sylvia x Dew (?) ~ On the one hand, inheritance is nice and it'd be convenient for Lene and Coirpre to have bargain, but on the other hand I'd really like to play with some subs and the subs for Sylvia's kids aren't bad for what they're supposed to do
  • Tailtiu x Lex (?) ~ Would really like to try this, but would also like to try x Levin just for early 2nd Gen Holsety

Thanks to those who've thrown around suggestions so far.  I'll keep this going until the end of the weekend, then I'll settle on pairings.

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:
  • Lachesis x Naoise (?) ~ I'm gonna have to decide between Finn, Alec, Lex, and Naoise, and right now I'm biased towards the latter
  • Sylvia x Dew (?) ~ On the one hand, inheritance is nice and it'd be convenient for Lene and Coirpre to have bargain, but on the other hand I'd really like to play with some subs and the subs for Sylvia's kids aren't bad for what they're supposed to do
  • Tailtiu x Lex (?) ~ Would really like to try this, but would also like to try x Levin just for early 2nd Gen Holsety

regarding the 1st pair, always keep in mind that Delmud/Nanna will get Charisma, so their role will be not only dealing damage/healing, but they can also support allies when they're placed properly.

then, it kind of goes like this:

- Fin has mainly a speed-based build with good sinergy between Pursuit, Brave lance and Prayer. no weapon inheritance thou, as Delmud will start with swords only.

- Alec can be viable, and probably it's a better solution when it comes to weapon inheritance, plus Pursuit for doubling attacks.

- Lex would be the top in terms of tactical skills and stats for tanking, but there's no weapon inheritance.

- Naoise(Noish) would be almost the same as Alec in terms of stats spread, with the difference that it would be a build based on occasional burst damage via critical hits, rather than costant double attacks via Pursuit. he could eventually make double attacks with Charge thou, just don't rely on it too much.

the Skill ring should help with the passive Critical skill trigger rate, however there's other characters like Jamka that can benefit more from the Skill ring due to higher class stats. you also get extra conversations with this pairing.

as for the 2nd pair, i would trade a Bargain skill for a Barrier sword/Berserk staff any day, especially if we consider the main role of the children/alternatives. that's just me thou.

the 3rd one is tricky. if you really like risky play and versatile units, then go for x Lex. i guarantee for Arthur, since watching him critting with Thoron on armored units everytime can be quite entertaining.

also, another thing i forgot to mention is that if you give him the Berserk sword from Fee, he's going to literally be a major pain in the ass after promotion. if RNG goes right, it can potentially break the enemy army, and it can be devastating together with the Sleep/Berserk staffs. it would be wise to give him a Shield ring too, if you plan to play him that way.

otherwise, if you simply want utility over high risk-high reward, then go for x Levin.

Edited by Fenreir

29 minutes ago, Fenreir said:

the 3rd one is tricky. if you really like risky play and versatile units, then go for x Lex. i guarantee for Arthur, since watching him critting with Thoron on armored units everytime can be quite entertaining.

also, another thing i forgot to mention is that if you give him the Berserk sword from Fee, he's going to literally be a major pain in the ass after promotion. if RNG goes right, it can potentially break the enemy army, and it can be devastating together with the Sleep/Berserk staffs. it would be wise to give him a Shield ring too, if you plan to play him that way.

otherwise, if you simply want utility over high risk-high reward, then go for x Levin.

It should be noted that most of Lex!Arthur's advantages only take place after promotion, while Lewyn!Arthur is useful right off the bat thanks to Forsetti. That and with the Lex pairing it makes it so that Arthur basically just becomes another Tinny, since that's mainly what she does in regards to critting with Thoron, as neither can use it off the bat, and I think there is only one Thoron tome (I might be wrong in that regard). That and Lewyn has inheritance, while Lex doesn't. The only Thoron tome I can recall appears in Chapter 8, so until then Arthur will only have his Wind tome, and maybe a Fire tome since I believe you can buy one in Chapter 7. 

5 hours ago, Fenreir said:

regarding the 1st pair, always keep in mind that Delmud/Nanna will get Charisma, so their role will be not only dealing damage/healing, but they can also support allies when they're placed properly.

then, it kind of goes like this:

- Fin has mainly a speed-based build with good sinergy between Pursuit, Brave lance and Prayer. no weapon inheritance thou, as Delmud will start with swords only.

- Alec can be viable, and probably it's a better solution when it comes to weapon inheritance, plus Pursuit for doubling attacks.

- Lex would be the top in terms of tactical skills and stats for tanking, but there's no weapon inheritance.

- Naoise(Noish) would be almost the same as Alec in terms of stats spread, with the difference that it would be a build based on occasional burst damage via critical hits, rather than costant double attacks via Pursuit. he could eventually make double attacks with Charge thou, just don't rely on it too much.

the Skill ring should help with the passive Critical skill trigger rate, however there's other characters like Jamka that can benefit more from the Skill ring due to higher class stats. you also get extra conversations with this pairing.

as for the 2nd pair, i would trade a Bargain skill for a Barrier sword/Berserk staff any day, especially if we consider the main role of the children/alternatives. that's just me thou.

If he goes with those pairings, should the pursuit ring go to Jamke!Lester or Naoise!Delmud? I'm leaning towards Delmud because at least Lester will have inherited the Brave Bow. Of course, Delmud can pull a Tristan and wait for the first available Hero Sword.

I agree for the most part, Claud!Fee would be great with the Barrier Sword. As for the Berserk staff, I wish it had more uses on it. Laylea also has Charisma which is nice, although it won't make too much of a difference because there's already 2 Charisma users (Lachesis' kids) and Seliph's authority stars also give a bonus. Plus all the pairings are good, so the bonus isn't too much of a big deal when a lot of the kids can 1 round 95% of the enemies even without a bonus. From a narrative standpoint though, I do feel as though Laylea and Charlot fit into the narrative the best out of all of the substitutes. Since neither Lene nor Coirpre really knew their origins, they don't really go with the Gen 2 theme of reclaiming your birthright. Meanwhile, everyone else's does. Although I do like Bargain for the healer boy, since staves in this game are so damn expensive. At least Charlot has Paragon and looks a chubby shota Sigurd. Plus they both got some Cipher art recently, which can be good for thumbnails!

Spoiler

latest?cb=20181217161543latest?cb=20181213152826

For the 3rd one, they both have the same amount of conversations (1), but they happen in different generations. Lewyn is a better father because HORSETI is pretty great and Tine will be able to use Tornado upon promotion. Plus Lewyn gives her some magic(?) during their talk.

When deciding for the 3rd pairing, if you want a really good Arthur, go for Lewyn. If you want a really good Tine, go for Lex.

Edited by Dandy Druid