Fanservice, ratio of females to males, etc.

Lewyn

Why does it only have to be about sex fan service?  If Fire Emblem as a series was mostly female, it wouldn't be a big deal, but there are far more playable male characters, so focusing on girls at a 3:1 ratio means that most of the male characters have no real hope of getting in.  We get characters like Karla getting in over characters that had far more relevance in their game.

The first year, they were pretty good about keeping it 50/50 at least, but it's only gone downhill from there.

Well, in my opinion the gaming industry as a whole would be selling a whole lot more if they started appealing to women more.  I mean, the most recent push women have made in the movie industry with female superheroes has led to smashing hits, and practically every business that appeals to both men and women have by their very nature been more successful than those that appealed exclusively to one or the other.

This fixation on appealing to idealistic male fantasies is narrow and ultimately harmful for any companies still doing it.  Not to say every game out there that does it is bad, it's just that it's bad when they're doing it just for the sake of maximum profits because there's a better long term and limited creativity will lead to a tremendous crash in the end.

20 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Why does it only have to be about sex fan service?  If Fire Emblem as a series was mostly female, it wouldn't be a big deal, but there are far more playable male characters, so focusing on girls at a 3:1 ratio means that most of the male characters have no real hope of getting in.  We get characters like Karla getting in over characters that had far more relevance in their game.

The first year, they were pretty good about keeping it 50/50 at least, but it's only gone downhill from there.

Yeah, and didn't year 1 actually make more money than year 2? Maybe the gender ratio between both years is a factor there. Year 1 was more even while year 2 was not.

I can be thankful that we still do get a banner every now and then with two or more guys though, like the beautiful Greil's Devoted. :3

Also, while I do wish for some more males, I suppose it doesn't bother me quite as much as some other players because I like both males and females. I tend to like more males, but that's not really because they're male. They just happened to be better written and designed imo.

But I can like females just as easily if they get the same quality of writing and design.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, and didn't year 1 actually make more money than year 2? Maybe the gender ratio between both years is a factor there. Year 1 was more even while year 2 was not.

I can be thankful that we still do get a banner every now and then with two or more guys though, like the beautiful Greil's Devoted. :3

Also, while I do wish for some more males, I suppose it doesn't bother me quite as much as some other players because I like both males and females. I tend to like more males, but that's not really because they're male. They just happened to be better written and designed imo.

But I can like females just as easily if they get the same quality of writing and design.

I like plenty of female characters too, but I'd rather have one version of a guy I like than the third or fourth alt of a girl I like.

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I like plenty of female characters too, but I'd rather have one version of a guy I like than the third or fourth alt of a girl I like.

Yeah, that's fair.

I love to be thrown a sexy outfit here and there but I'm still greatly annoyed by the female/male ratio of new heroes released.

It greatly hampers the chances of so many of my favourite characters to get in, like Bastian, who oozes personality, and is exactly the sort of character likely to be a casualty of this system.

Interesting topic?  Yes.

Someone else can re-open this, assuming it's more neutral in its opening post.  But this first post is so full of bad opinions that I'm closing this topic.  I want numbers for those kinds of claims.