March's Mythic Hero Appears!! Yune: Chaos Goddess (March 28 ~)

Coolmanio

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I explained the word-final ンヌ sound on the previous page:

Even if this were true (see below), that still doesn't explain their decision to retcon a name that already appeared in an officially localized game, not change the other half of the name it's tied to, and then spell it the exact same way. That makes no sense to me at all.

4 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/feheroes_gamepedia_en/6/68/VOICE_Yune_Chaos_Goddess_STATUS_2_jp.wav

She doesn't say her name with the "u", but rather to the "n" sound.

You can clearly hear the "nu" at the end.

Edited by Alastor15243

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Even if this were true (see below), that still doesn't explain their decision to retcon a name that already appeared in an officially localized game, not change the other half of the name it's tied to, and then spell it the exact same way. That makes no sense to me at all.

To be honest, did they even know how to pronounce it at first? Voice cutscene dialogue in the Tellius series wasn't that great. It would not be a surprise if they pronounced it as they spell it. Saw "Yune" and thought to pronounce it "Yoo-nay." Very much like how Camus's name was pronounced "Ka-mus" rather than "Ka-moo" back then before the voiceline made it clear. 

You can clearly hear the "nu" at the end.

I've been listening to it several times. I don't detect the 'u' at all.

5 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

I've been listening to it several times. I don't detect the 'u' at all.

I don't know what to tell you. It's clearly there. The "u" is a bit shortened, as expected for following a ”ン”, but it's there plain as day. Are you using a playback program that cuts off the last bit of an audio file?

Edited by Alastor15243

I don't know what to tell you. It's clearly there. The "u" is a bit shortened, as expected for following a ”ン”, but it's there plain as day. Are you using a playback program that cuts off the last bit of an audio file?

Nope. Perhaps that's the accent thing. Depending on how one chooses or is able to listen to it, they hear it differently. At best, all I hear is an extended "n" sound, but not the "u" sound. 

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

Nope. Perhaps that's the accent thing. Depending on how one chooses or is able to listen to it, they hear it differently. At best, all I hear is an extended "n" sound, but not the "u" sound. 

The tone of her voice clearly spans two notes over the two-syllable word, and the "u" is where it hits the second, lower note.

7 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

It's like finding out after over a decade that this whole time "Ike" was supposed to be pronounced "Ikey".

That's not right. It's "Ikey-poo".

And whether you say call her "You-neigh", or "Yoon", or with an alveolar click, I think the Spirit of Chaos is a little alive here.

1 minute ago, Alastor15243 said:

That still doesn't explain their decision to retcon a name that already appeared in an officially localized game, not change the other half of the name it's tied to, and then spell it the exact same way. That makes no sense to me at all.

My name, "William", is correctly pronounced anything from "wil-lee-um" to "wil-yum" to "way-yum" depending on the speaker's accent. All of those pronunciations are still spelled "William".

4 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

I hear it just fine.

Fuck it, I'm done with this banner.

345 total pulls (career total in parentheses):

• 11 Yune (11)
  • 10 Kagero (18)
  • 14 Lewyn (18)
  • 2 Ryoma (10)
  • 3 Myrrh (15)
  • 1 Celica (3)
  • 1 Ophelia (10)

12.2% 5-star rate, which is pretty good. I wish the game didn't give me so many copies of Lewyn, though. I wanted a 12th Yune just in case, but ended up getting 6 non-Yune 5-stars at the end. On the other hand, I now have Bold Fighter, Vengeful Fighter, and Special Spiral fodder for days as well as a +Atk Brave Celica, so I can't really complain.

Back to pulling for Idunn again.