Oguma

Oguma

Oguma's a pretty decent character, If he got more strength he'd be truly amazing.

See my char. review page for more info on my opinion.

He doesn't get more strength?

I thought he capped strength...

Agreed. I treated the arena the way a whore treats a popular street corner, and I still had no fighting characters (non mages) that so much as sniffed 20/10. My highest character was Rena at 20/12 before she died in the last chapter.

Edited by Superbus

The golden rule is to always use the one that's the most powerful. If one gets RNG rapes, then ditch him for someone. My post in the Maric or Linda thread wasn't actually a joke. I benched Maric cause he got RNG raped and I replaced him with RNG blessed Maji the mage.

RNG screwed units are usually still better than picking up new units to train.

Unless you got like, five levels with nothing but +0, they will still have gained something, not to mention have improved weapon levels to allow them to use stronger weapons. They will also be closer to promotion.

Not to mention that the game isn't impossible to beat with RNG screwed units, you just have to improvise. If it's possible to do playthroughs using the crappiest units, it is certainly possible to use RNG screwed good units.

Normally, lategame pre-promotes are supposed to replace RNG screwed/underleveled units since they're usually good enough to be useful, but obviously that isn't happening in FEDS.

The golden rule is to always use the one that's the most powerful. If one gets RNG rapes, then ditch him for someone. My post in the Maric or Linda thread wasn't actually a joke. I benched Maric cause he got RNG raped and I replaced him with RNG blessed Maji the mage.

OK, that's all well and good, but you can't be schizophrenic about it.

So my unit has a couple of poor level-ups. Am I going to bench him then just to get another unit that could turn out poorly? Or am I going to give him a chance, especially knowing that everywhere except H5, he's likely going to be good no matter what?

The hardest thing to do with Fire Emblem characters is figuring out when to cut the cord that's keeping them off the bench.

If your unit begins to suck, make up for it with stat boosting items and forging. If you're against that, just try to make due with whatever strengths they may have, and use Silver/Weakness hitting weapons whenever possible.

Even on H5, as long as a unit isn't getting doubled, he/she is usable.

Personally, unless a character becomes a liability (as in, is about half as good as the average of my team, which Bors turned out to be in my last run--Silver Spear did about 17 Damage in the Brunya chapter :( ).

So generally, I stick with a character the entire run, no matter how bad they turn out, unless it gets to the point where they can't even kill a thing without dying in the process.

OK, that's all well and good, but you can't be schizophrenic about it.

So my unit has a couple of poor level-ups. Am I going to bench him then just to get another unit that could turn out poorly? Or am I going to give him a chance, especially knowing that everywhere except H5, he's likely going to be good no matter what?

The hardest thing to do with Fire Emblem characters is figuring out when to cut the cord that's keeping them off the bench.

I'd qualify RNG rape as when their biggest strength is failing them. Maric should gain magic, but he gained almost none... or 1 point for maybe 5 or 6 level ups. It was time to let him go.

It's just all based on your own instinct and how you play. Low magic isn't exactly a killer since most enemies have no magic defense, but I had better unit to use, so I ditched him. I'm not saying my timing will be right cause you never know, but sometimes it's just not worth it. You have to gauge that yourself.

Edited by Super Mecha Death Christ

Er... Maric has crap Magic, although there's only one person who beats him. He averages 17, and that's if he gets to 20/20, which he's very unlikely to get to. He's not good for any single stat, he just, overall, has better stats than his competition, as well as a much better joining time.

Oguma is definitely worse now, worse than Barts, but he's still quite powerful. He is very helpful at the start of the game on the harder modes thanks to his high bases (or should I say the Mercenary's bases?).

• 2 weeks later...
Oguma is definitely worse now, worse than Barts, but he's still quite powerful. He is very helpful at the start of the game on the harder modes thanks to his high bases (or should I say the Mercenary's bases?).

So he's worst because he's powerful? That doesn't really make any sense...<_<

You might want to try checking your context, Namie. He's saying Oguma is worse than he was in the game's previous incarnations, but still powerful. That makes perfect sense.