How do I calm down after having bees in my house.

6 minutes ago, Nym said:

Bee calm.

And bee ready for anything.

thanks Nym.

1 minute ago, Captain Karnage said:

Raise honey bees like I did last year. You'll eventually get used to it.

Also don't drop the frame or you'll be swarmed and have some 30 odd stings over your body.

I'm a bit too scared of getting stung.

That and I have two dogs and live in the city.

Bees, huh.

This reminds me of that one time an actual hive formed in the house. Turns out, there was a portion of the roof that wasn't completely sealed up (from a room added in, so I guess the job was not done perfectly); and one day a group of bees decided to get in make themselves at home. The problem was dealt with; but afterwards for like two weeks we had honey dripping from the wall. Since the room's ceiling was not sealed up properly either. Or maybe it was structural damage from the quake that struck years ago. Hard to tell.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Bees, huh.

This reminds me of that one time an actual hive formed in the house. Turns out, there was a portion of the roof that wasn't completely sealed up (from a room added in, so I guess the job was not done perfectly); and one day a group of bees decided to get in make themselves at home. The problem was dealt with; but afterwards for like two weeks we had honey dripping from the wall. Since the room's ceiling was not sealed up properly either. Or maybe it was structural damage from the quake that struck years ago. Hard to tell.

I think they might have infested my gazebo.

Sounds like an extremely awful scenario.  I can sympathize, I am absolutely terrified of wasps, hornets, yellow jackets, and horse flies (really fat flies that bite you; they frequent near lakes and the like).  Stuff like honeybees are fine though, as they are pretty passive and harmless, and will only attack if you actively threaten them.

Don't carry any food or drink on you when you approach areas with high volumes of bees, especially not anything with sugar because they're attracted to that kind of stuff.  Since it's getting late into the summer, they'll probably be more aggressive due to them eating fermented fruit that have fallen from trees and rotted, which makes them slightly drunk, so you'll want to be extra cautious.

What you should do to deal with the problem is look for any hives around the inside of your house - and also look for any places where they would be able to get into.  You should do this at night, because that's when they're gonna be least active.  Search every nook and cranny you can think of, especially places in your home that you don't frequent much (e.g. an attic, storage place, etc.).  When you've located all the hives, either use a can of insect-killer spray or contact some form of pest control if you don't want to deal with them yourself and tell them where you found the hives so that they can immediately get to work.

After dealing with that, patch up whatever faults in your housing structure you noticed while you searched the home for hives.  You'll need some actual hardware for this - tools and structural supplies.  Get a wood-cutting saw of some kind, some nails, a hammer, some measuring tape, and a wooden plank (pretty sure any Ace Hardware store will have all of this), and then use those tools to make makeshift patches for the places with holes.

However, if you didn't notice any faults, there's a chance they're getting in through whatever ventilation system you have.  I know my sister and grandfather had that problem - there was an old ventilation system they had that wasps formed a nest near, and so they frequented the interior of the house as it provided a quality source of food stuff.  I'm not sure how to deal with that kind of issue other than upgrading it or simply destroying whatever nests might be nearby the ventilation system's entry point.  It helps to have the entry point of the ventilation system somewhere that gets a lot of sun, as insects are much less inclined to form nests in such places, especially if the entry point is made of metal.

39 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

I think they might have infested my gazebo.

They love stuff like gazebos.  Any place that gets a lot of shade for most of the day is a place where nest-making insects will want to build their home, and a gazebo is probably the shadiest place of all.

With that, you'll just have to deal with the hives as they pop up.  Again, try to do it around sunset or at night, because there's less of a chance they'll retaliate since they'll probably be asleep.

It might also do to see about getting a bee catcher - basically a trap meant for bees.  Though in my experience they haven't really worked out all that well.  But you might find better bee traps than I could.

EDIT: Also, it could be a case where you left a door or screenless window open for an extended period of time.  Just don't do that, especially not in the day.  I can think of a number of reasons it's a horrible idea to leave windows and/or doors open in the middle of a summer day, not least of which is the notion of insects entering through those points.

Edited by Ertrick36

Honey bees are having issues right now, so if possible please find a bee keeper to get the hive if they can, killing a hive when it can be saved is bad.  Honey bees are for the most part gentle, but they do like anything that smells sweet.  I like honey bees and I am still mourning the hive my family had that was killed by wax moths this past month.  Moths are evil.

Take solace in knowing that bees are dying off at a rapid pace and will be gone before long

and therefore so will we

Edited by Slumber

Is this my legacy now?

Also, there's another bee in my house.

9 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Sounds like an extremely awful scenario.  I can sympathize, I am absolutely terrified of wasps, hornets, yellow jackets, and horse flies (really fat flies that bite you; they frequent near lakes and the like).  Stuff like honeybees are fine though, as they are pretty passive and harmless, and will only attack if you actively threaten them.

Don't carry any food or drink on you when you approach areas with high volumes of bees, especially not anything with sugar because they're attracted to that kind of stuff.  Since it's getting late into the summer, they'll probably be more aggressive due to them eating fermented fruit that have fallen from trees and rotted, which makes them slightly drunk, so you'll want to be extra cautious.

What you should do to deal with the problem is look for any hives around the inside of your house - and also look for any places where they would be able to get into.  You should do this at night, because that's when they're gonna be least active.  Search every nook and cranny you can think of, especially places in your home that you don't frequent much (e.g. an attic, storage place, etc.).  When you've located all the hives, either use a can of insect-killer spray or contact some form of pest control if you don't want to deal with them yourself and tell them where you found the hives so that they can immediately get to work.

After dealing with that, patch up whatever faults in your housing structure you noticed while you searched the home for hives.  You'll need some actual hardware for this - tools and structural supplies.  Get a wood-cutting saw of some kind, some nails, a hammer, some measuring tape, and a wooden plank (pretty sure any Ace Hardware store will have all of this), and then use those tools to make makeshift patches for the places with holes.

However, if you didn't notice any faults, there's a chance they're getting in through whatever ventilation system you have.  I know my sister and grandfather had that problem - there was an old ventilation system they had that wasps formed a nest near, and so they frequented the interior of the house as it provided a quality source of food stuff.  I'm not sure how to deal with that kind of issue other than upgrading it or simply destroying whatever nests might be nearby the ventilation system's entry point.  It helps to have the entry point of the ventilation system somewhere that gets a lot of sun, as insects are much less inclined to form nests in such places, especially if the entry point is made of metal.

They love stuff like gazebos.  Any place that gets a lot of shade for most of the day is a place where nest-making insects will want to build their home, and a gazebo is probably the shadiest place of all.

With that, you'll just have to deal with the hives as they pop up.  Again, try to do it around sunset or at night, because there's less of a chance they'll retaliate since they'll probably be asleep.

It might also do to see about getting a bee catcher - basically a trap meant for bees.  Though in my experience they haven't really worked out all that well.  But you might find better bee traps than I could.

EDIT: Also, it could be a case where you left a door or screenless window open for an extended period of time.  Just don't do that, especially not in the day.  I can think of a number of reasons it's a horrible idea to leave windows and/or doors open in the middle of a summer day, not least of which is the notion of insects entering through those points.

They came in because my grandmother was doing yard work, I think she scared them.

BUT! I did figure out where the hive may be. I saw bugs swarming an old bag in my gazebo filled with trimmed shrubs. I didn't think anything of it because I thought they were flies.

Orkin, do your fucking job.

9 hours ago, EricaofRenais said:

Honey bees are having issues right now, so if possible please find a bee keeper to get the hive if they can, killing a hive when it can be saved is bad.  Honey bees are for the most part gentle, but they do like anything that smells sweet.  I like honey bees and I am still mourning the hive my family had that was killed by wax moths this past month.  Moths are evil.

Thing is, I'm not sure if they're honey bees. I looked up a picture on google and these bees aren't fuzzy.

9 hours ago, Slumber said:

Take solace in knowing that bees are dying off at a rapid pace and will be gone before long

and therefore so will we

If there's one thing Bee Movie taught me, it's that bees are important.

42 minutes ago, Lysithea said:

I have a phobia against wasps since my birth. Whenever one comes close to, I immediately panic and run away. When a wasp flew into my office,  I had to ask a colleague to kill it or to let it get out. 

Sounds like me.

I think the only insects I don't have a phobia of are butterflies, moths, caterpillars, fireflies, ladybugs, and oddly enough praying mantises.

2 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Wasps are giant assholes burn them.

Actually, I'm not sure if they're wasps or honeybees.

On one hand, they weren't fuzzy like honeybees usually are, but on the other hand, some of them died after stinging my grandmother.

Just now, Espurrhoodie said:

Actually, I'm not sure if they're wasps or honeybees.

On one hand, they weren't fuzzy like honeybees usually are, but on the other hand, some of them died after stinging my grandmother.

I'd say bumblebees or carpenter bees.

9 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I'd say bumblebees or carpenter bees.

Too small to be bumblebees, and they don't look like carpenter bees.

They look like wasps, but my grandma noticed that one of the dead bees/wasps was missing a stinger.

47 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Question: anyone have any advice for getting rid of wasp nests?

I'm 90% sure they're wasps and not honeybees.

Can you google it?

Honeybees look like this:

YIPMsdp.jpg

Wasps look like this:

WrNDHQz.jpg

Honeybees are docile, fuzzy, fat, and retract their legs when flying.  They will usually only sting you once (I think they die if they sting you), and rarely bother humans in the daytime (you'll usually find them by plants).

Wasps are aggressive, hairless, thin, and let their legs dangle when they fly.  They will sting as many times as it'll take for you to get away from their nesting places, and they'll typically buzz around homes because they're hunting for insects and sugar residing nearby or within the building.

Another way to tell the difference is in the colors.  The most aggressive wasps are black with bright yellow stripes, whereas a lot of bees usually come in more subdued browns and oranges.  In late summer, wasps will buzz around very aggressively - they'll dart back and forth with great speed, and will probably fly at you to scare you away.

One more way to tell whether it's a bee or a wasp: the nest.

Bee nests look like this:

TV8DF0J.jpg

Wasp nests look like this:

vT0CsCV.jpg

Bee nests are noticeably more "holey" than wasp nests are.  Wasp nests look like they're made of wood or paper, usually because they are.

2 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

They look like wasps, but my grandma noticed that one of the dead bees/wasps was missing a stinger.

Male wasps have no stingers, only females do.

Upon further thought and research, I'm gonna tell you that calling pest control after identifying the location is the best option.  It's a very bad idea to try to destroy a nest yourself.  And yes, the wasps are pests if they're nesting in your holdings, don't feel bad about evicting them.  Bees are harmless, though, so you should find a bee keeper if you ever find bees nesting in or around your home in a way that's obstructive.

I'll still recommend DIY fixes when applicable.  Although if it's in your gazeebo, there's really not much you can do other than dealing with any nests that pop up before late summer.

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

Honeybees look like this:

YIPMsdp.jpg

Wasps look like this:

WrNDHQz.jpg

Honeybees are docile, fuzzy, fat, and retract their legs when flying.  They will usually only sting you once (I think they die if they sting you), and rarely bother humans in the daytime (you'll usually find them by plants).

Wasps are aggressive, hairless, thin, and let their legs dangle when they fly.  They will sting as many times as it'll take for you to get away from their nesting places, and they'll typically buzz around homes because they're hunting for insects and sugar residing nearby or within the building.

Another way to tell the difference is in the colors.  The most aggressive wasps are black with bright yellow stripes, whereas a lot of bees usually come in more subdued browns and oranges.  In late summer, wasps will buzz around very aggressively - they'll dart back and forth with great speed, and will probably fly at you to scare you away.

One more way to tell whether it's a bee or a wasp: the nest.

Bee nests look like this:

TV8DF0J.jpg

Wasp nests look like this:

vT0CsCV.jpg

Bee nests are noticeably more "holey" than wasp nests are.  Wasp nests look like they're made of wood or paper, usually because they are.

Male wasps have no stingers, only females do.

Upon further thought and research, I'm gonna tell you that calling pest control after identifying the location is the best option.  It's a very bad idea to try to destroy a nest yourself.  And yes, the wasps are pests if they're nesting in your holdings, don't feel bad about evicting them.  Bees are harmless, though, so you should find a bee keeper if you ever find bees nesting in or around your home in a way that's obstructive.

I'll still recommend DIY fixes when applicable.  Although if it's in your gazeebo, there's really not much you can do other than dealing with any nests that pop up before late summer.

Yeah, they're wasps.

I saw a honeybee buzzing around me while I was doing yard work and it just ignored me to go for the flowers.