Prepromotes

Tino

Units that join promoted are referred to as "prepromotes". However, units that join unpromoted can be referred to as "prepromotes" as well, right? They are "before promotion"...

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think a couple of people have brought this up in the past. The whole term is just a fan thing, so it depends on how fans interpret it. Since most can live with "prepromote" meaning "previously/beforehand promoted" then I guess that's why it's stayed that way.

I love bringing this up, but it's similar to how most characters in a archetype set are technically "wrong"

To make things more complicated, some people refer to units like Myrrh and Tethys as prepromoted since they do not promote, and some people do not see 90% of FE10's cast as prepromote despite the fact they are Tier 2 in a game where there are units in Tier 1.

I prefer to refer to units that come as a promoted class (in FE6/7/8/9) as prepromotes. Everyone else is a unit in a base class, including Dancers, etc. that don't promote. Sure, some units may have caps that resemble promoted units, but the fact is that the class itself isn't promoted.

FE10 is different, for me. I don't consider all of the characters that come as "second tier" units as prepromotes, despite "first tier" units appearing earlier in the game. By the point that you get into the thick of "second tier" units, most of the enemy units are (basically) "second tier" as well. It's the units that show up as "third tier" classes that I consider prepromotes in FE10.

For FE10 I take a progressive definition.

If you join as a teir 2 unit is part 1 you're a prepromte, in other parts it is teir 3 to be called that.

And then comes the Laguz which are like Mamkutes and Dancers. You can't call them promoted because they didn't promote from anything even if their stats resemble it.

I don't really care so much about prepromote vs not as joining substantially overleveled vs not. Like in part 2 of FE10, Even though Haar and Lucia are the same tier as Nephenee, it's almost like Orson vs Kyle or Cuan vs Noishe.