ULTRA SPOILERS!!! Star Wars Episode IX: Mini Rant

XRay

THAT DAMN SKYWALKER STOLE MY EMPRESS'S FIRST KISS!!! His filthy hands and mouth turned my imperial highness into a lowly farm girl!

Anyways, that is all I wanted to rant about. It was a good movie and I liked it. And yeah, Rey is my Star Wars waifu. I wonder if Rey can get pregnant from kissing Ben, since I assume she married into the Skywalker family now. Regardless, she is still MY waifu in my head canon. I am still a little jello about that nobody smuggling farm boy took her first kiss.

3 hours ago, XRay said:

THAT DAMN SKYWALKER STOLE MY EMPRESS'S FIRST KISS!!! His filthy hands and mouth turned my imperial highness into a lowly farm girl!

Anyways, that is all I wanted to rant about. It was a good movie and I liked it. And yeah, Rey is my Star Wars waifu. I wonder if Rey can get pregnant from kissing Ben, since I assume she married into the Skywalker family now. Regardless, she is still MY waifu in my head canon. I am still a little jello about that nobody smuggling farm boy took her first kiss.

Not saying I agree with your reasons, but I wasn't a fan of that kiss either, just not the right place of time for that. Also, that Skywalker was technically no nerfherder but a commander but whatever.

I'd also have rather seen both of them die in the end. A way to allow the force to reset itself and be free of the legacies imposed on it by the trilogy of trilogies. There's a lot I think the sequel trilogy could have done better story wise (Gee, 2 years per movie and giving each movie to a director and creative freedom was a legit stupid move in hindsight) but if they'd had the guts to do that (unlike Hux after this movie 😛) I'd have a lot more respect for them. 

I haven't liked any of the Disney Star Wars films except Rogue One. They had no plan, and it shows. The Original Trilogy and the Prequels had creativity; they were made by people who had a story they wanted to tell. The Sequel Trilogy has just been a bunch of needless rehashes of stories we already saw; repackaged as sequels in ways that break almost everything we knew about the Star Wars universe and its characters. I was never a huge fan of Star Wars, but these films were just disappointing. The only reason I liked Rogue One was that it did have a new story it wanted to tell, even if it did get a bit mangled (I'm guessing by the reshoots that Gareth Edwards wasn't allowed to direct for some reason).

In regards to the Rey Kylo kiss, my issue with it is that, if the writers were going for a romance arc between them, they did not build it up properly at all. Don't get me wrong; I'm frankly used to poorly-developed romances at this point as they're almost everywhere in media. But even this one stood out to me as particularly poorly set up. It's as if the only reason they did that was that they saw all the Rey-Kylo shipping online and thought making it canon would appease fans. That's all Episode 9 seems to be trying to do: appease fans in superficial ways, when the real way to appease disappointed fans is to give us a new and interesting story. But that takes creativity, and neither Disney nor JJ Abrams have that. 

Maybe I have low standards, but the overall films seemed fine to me.

The only thing I was disappointed in is that they took my waifu away, and that they did not ship Poe and Finn like I hoped they would.

The kiss did seem like it came out of nowhere, but if I came out of a near death experience, I think I would want to pork the closest hot chick next to me too to pass on my genes.

I have a lot to say about the movie for sure, but I don’t wanna ruin the thread with complaints and nitpicks when the focus is the kiss.

Anyways, the kiss really had no precedent whatsoever and was a very uncreative way to conclude Kylo’s character. And poor Finn, too.

(also I didn’t expect the note the series would end on to be Rey committing identify fraud)

10 minutes ago, Brave Lance said:

(also I didn’t expect the note the series would end on to be Rey committing identify fraud)

I am under the impression she married into the Skywalker family by kissing Ben, so she took on his last name. If not Skywalker by marriage, then it was at least maybe through adoption via Leia and Luke.

I would complain about your lack of spoiler tags, except I found out the hard way that TV Tropes didn't bother hiding spoilers on any of The Rise of Skywalker pages. Not that it mattered. I had already seen the leak that was spot on about every major plot point.

On-topic, this seems like a classic example of trying to please everyone and ending up satisfying no one. The shippers have their ship confirmed, but one of the characters dies immedietly afterwards, so little to nothing was actually done with the development. Meanwhile, people who liked that Rey and Kylo were platonic were robbed of that at the last second, just to appease the shippers.

At least I can understand why Kylo was fine with dying. Drawing parallels to Darth Vader, despite being redeemed, they had committed several atrocities in the name of their organizations, and would likely face imprisonment or execution by the victors afterwards, so they decided it was better to die with dignity while they had the chance. I do think it would have been more interesting if he had survived (or both of them died), though.

Slightly off-topic (but this is FftF, so that doesn't matter), but are the visuals, action and acting strong enough that it is worthwhile to see the movie in theaters? I already know about its asspull of a plot, but I'm debating whether to see it on the big screen or to save my money and wait until it comes out on DVD.

2 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

I would complain about your lack of spoiler tags, except I found out the hard way that TV Tropes didn't bother hiding spoilers on any of The Rise of Skywalker pages. Not that it mattered. I had already seen the leak that was spot on about every major plot point.

I am pretty lazy, so I put ULTRA SPOILERS in the title so I do not have to keep using spoiler tags.

Slightly off-topic (but this is FftF, so that doesn't matter), but are the visuals, action and acting strong enough that it is worthwhile to see the movie in theaters? I already know about its asspull of a plot, but I'm debating whether to see it on the big screen or to save my money and wait until it comes out on DVD.

I generally seem to have pretty low standards when it comes to entertainment when compared to everyone else, so while I think it is worth it for me, it might not be worth it for you though. To be safe, I think it is better to wait for the DVD. I think the acting and special effects are fine, but that does not really mean much coming from me. I am almost always satisfied with any movie I paid for and saw.

The only movie that I extremely regretted spending money watching was Independence Day 2, and the only reason I despise that film is because they soiled an iconic American brand into a filthy, disgusting propaganda piece for that Pooh-faced piece of lard shit and his soy-stuffed pigsty comrades. And yeah, fuck the Mulan movie too. Go Mongols and free Hong Kong.

Another movie I extremely dislike but a lot of people like is Avatar. I saw it in class during high school since the teacher had the DVD, so I did not have to pay for it, but those blue aliens really ticked me off for some reason. They just look absolutely repulsive. I know it is messed up, but I really wanted to see the blue aliens lose and I support the annihilation of their species. I cannot really explain why I find them so disgusting. They just look really disturbing to me and it elicits a really strong negative response. The only explanation I can find is the uncanny valley effect, but I am not sure if that is primary or only reason.

On-topic, this seems like a classic example of trying to please everyone and ending up satisfying no one. The shippers have their ship confirmed, but one of the characters dies immedietly afterwards, so little to nothing was actually done with the development. Meanwhile, people who liked that Rey and Kylo were platonic were robbed of that at the last second, just to appease the shippers.

To be fair, I do not think my rant is really that important literature wise. While I do prefer Rey to have platonic relationship with Ben because I want her to be my waifu, I do not think that is a good reason to force them to be platonic. I mean, when was the last time anyone considered having a chaste waifu character is a valid literary criticism?

Edited by XRay

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2019 at 10:57 PM, XRay said:

The only movie that I extremely regretted spending money watching was Independence Day 2, and the only reason I despise that film is because they soiled an iconic American brand into a filthy, disgusting propaganda piece for that Pooh-faced piece of lard shit and his soy-stuffed pigsty comrades. And yeah, fuck the Mulan movie too. Go Mongols and free Hong Kong.

I'm genuinely curious what they did here. I looked it up and it's a movie about aliens attacking on the 4th of July, I saw nothing about Chinese influence but I didn't really look long enough.

Also, Mulan was a great animated movie. I don't have high hopes for the live action one, but. China's government being horrible aside, it's a bit of a stretch to hate the whole country like you appear to be doing. The citizens are not their government, many of them are probably suffering just like Hong Kong.

Just now, Dragoncat said:

I'm genuinely curious what they did here. I looked it up and it's a movie about aliens attacking on the 4th of July, I saw nothing about Chinese influence but I didn't really look long enough.

You have to watch the movie to understand. A large part of the movie is about China taking the spotlight away from America.

2 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Also, Mulan was a great animated movie. I don't have high hopes for the live action one, but. China's government being horrible aside, it's a bit of a stretch to hate the whole country like you appear to be doing. The citizens are not their government, many of them are probably suffering just like Hong Kong.

I am hating on the government. I have beef with their culture and people too, but that is a personal issue, and as long as they leave me alone, I leave them alone. However, their government is not like that. Their government is interfering with my movies and games, and they keep doing that on an increasingly frequent basis. They are also screwing with Hong Kong, a democratic city. You do not just go around bullying democracies like that, especially when America is still the top dog of the world. You fuck with liberty, you fuck with America; you fuck with America, you fuck with me.

Pooh Bear and his pigsty party can go fuck themselves. If Trump was not such a giant ass pussy, he would set super high tariffs that increases day by day to the point where trade stops.

The only thing I want to comment on in that whole speel is that jacking up trade prices for China would help this situation immensely.

The rest is just stuff that I don't want to get into.

1 hour ago, Timely Rain said:

If US stopped trading with China, both countries would be in very deep trouble, so that's not a good idea at all lmao.

We can weather the storm and force manufacturers to move elsewhere. Prices will go up, but I think we can handle it.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

We can weather the storm and force manufacturers to move elsewhere. Prices will go up, but I think we can handle it.

That could impact the entire economy, with higher prices both for businesses and consumers. A lot of things are made in China, and when they're not, China plays an important role in the manufacturing process with raw materials or just assembling products. A trade war benefits nobody. Trade deficit with China has but increased after the tariffs, so it's not a situation that can last for long. 

53 minutes ago, Timely Rain said:

That could impact the entire economy, with higher prices both for businesses and consumers. A lot of things are made in China, and when they're not, China plays an important role in the manufacturing process with raw materials or just assembling products. A trade war benefits nobody. Trade deficit with China has but increased after the tariffs, so it's not a situation that can last for long. 

I think we will be fine. In the long run, we can better secure our intellectual property and our economy with our supply chain outside of enemy hands.

The trade deficit increase was temporary since businesses tried to import as many products as possible before the tariffs hit. China's role in processing raw materials is tied directly to their manufacturing. We divert their manufacturing away to our allies, and China will be processing much less. Prices will increase during the transition period, but it will better for the United States and our allies in the long run.

Edited by XRay