Religion.

Oguma

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about YOU get your [religious] facts straight for once? In the book of Revelation, Satan's army has the amount of people to a grains of sand. Most likely a metaphor, but it's meant to say he's got a shitload of people.

Head count as in people killed. Why would I give a shit how many people follow them?

Which makes Atheism just as much a religion. Prove me wrong but isn't Atheism just living your life the way YOU want to? Without anyone else in the picture, unless they are chosen to be? That is a belief, and there is no way in hell you can prove that to be the way everyone should live life.

Atheism is only necessarily the lack of belief in God. If it's a religion, then baldness is a hair color.

More later.

Atheism is a belief, a belief that no god exists. That doesn't make it a religion.

Actually, it isn't. Athiesm is a LACK of belief. It's not believing that God doesn't exists. It's NOT believing that he does. Different things. :D

Also, @ The Bible. It can't be credibly used in an argument, because how do we know it's true? It could be a pack of lies, since VERY few sources have confirmed anything more than a couple basic facts.

We KNOW historically that there was no great flood which wiped out almost every animal in the world. And on, and on. The Bible basically doesn't count, as it generally comes down to circular logic ("Why is the Bible true?" "It's the word of God." "How can we trust God." "The Bible says we can." "Wut?")

Listen carefully. Everyone. Religion is illogical. That's fact. Don't defend it with logic because Esau and Revan will cheerfully tear you a new asshole. If you've got to defend your religion, do so in this manner:

Oh pitiful one, you cannot imagine the power of God. You are blinded by the ways of this world. You will one day learn that you are mistaken and hopefully on that day, you will run to us and become brethren with us, and we will laugh and play and worship together as a people.

Except that doesn't defend it. Debate, or any such thing requires logic.

I find it ironic that a lot of atheists complain about the church "Tellin em what to do"

but I find a lot of Atheists feel the need to force their believes more then religious nutjobs

Nice try, and I get this a lot, but I'm afraid that's impossible. We have no beliefs. :D

Defending something doesn't require logic. That's just you assuming logic is neccessary to defend something. To debate and to defend are two different things. If you want to debate something, you tend to need logic, if you want to defend something, you just have to care about it and have the courage to tell other people off or attack them. Snipers are good at defending things.

Phoenix: You can't just say that. If they're wrong, they'll learn it one day. Saying it now makes you look foolish though.
That post was me giving them a general defence to use. IT's not the one I use.

QUOTE(ZXValaRevan @ Dec 1 2008, 07:23 PM)

Defending something doesn't require logic. That's just you assuming logic is neccessary to defend something. To debate and to defend are two different things. If you want to debate something, you tend to need logic, if you want to defend something, you just have to care about it and have the courage to tell other people off or attack them. Snipers are good at defending things.

Edited by Phoenix

That post was me giving them a general defence to use. IT's not the one I use.

QUOTE(ZXValaRevan @ Dec 1 2008, 07:23 PM)

Lolno. Well, ish. But it just makes you look stupid. It's like saying you're defending the fact that 2+2=5. :D

Actually, it isn't. Athiesm is a LACK of belief. It's not believing that God doesn't exists. It's NOT believing that he does. Different things. :D

I would argue that they *are* equivalent. Do you believe God exists?

Lolno. Well, ish. But it just makes you look stupid. It's like saying you're defending the fact that 2+2=5. :D
Once again, I'm not defending anything. You don't know my religion and therefore can't attack it, so I can't really defend it right now. And I'm not defending the existence of God either. I'm just here to manipulated a few elements of the conversation.

I would argue that they *are* equivalent. Do you believe God exists?

It's a thin line, but it's their. It's usually an argument created by extremists in order to make Atheism look like a religion. The point is, you don't believe anything to be an Atheist. It's the default point of being.

And do I believe in God? No.

I'm not trying to do that at all, not that you were accusing me.

My reasoning is that even a default setting is still a belief.

Not at all. I didn't think that's what you were doing, I was just explaining where that is usually used.

I would disagree with that later statement though.