Ideal Fire Emblem game set-up

Mekkah

Most FEs have some unique features that I like, but all of them have flaws. How would you combine the features that you like? For me, the ideal Fire Emblem game would have:

- FE5's capturing

- FE5's thief, build and rescue system (your con/bld grows, thieves can steal anything, etc)

- FE6's or FE7's weapons Mt/accuracy/uses/etc (not sure which I like best - FE6 makes Skl matter since the accuracy is horrid, but it also makes axes and Javelins suck)

- FE6's enemy strength

- FE8's overworld map

- FE9's support system

- FE9/FE10's base and battle preparations

- FE10's Wind Edges

Does importing FE5's build system include how it doesn't work with magic >_>?

I dunno I care too much for FE5's growing build when you get right down to it; it's a leetle too close to Weapon Level except with lower drawbacks.

Personally... hm.

Let's come out of left field and start off with FE1's warp staffs. Seven uses a pop and you get a bundle of them. They're actually usable! Oh FE7 and your one-only 5 use warp staff. FE5 comes a bit close with having a fair amount of them, but the weapon rank is prohibitive; FE1 (possibly 3 and 11 as well) is really the only game where they're an actual resource.

Nothing else worth pulling from FE1, really >_>

Meandering onward to FE4; can probably get a bunch of stuff from here. Hm.

I like FE4's map system, really. You get a much better idea of the geography of the continent and it allows for better cutscenes, for all that they didn't really do a great deal in that regard, and if you're as mad as me you can stick a bunch of them together. But it's hard to deny that there is too much time when you're walking around without doing anything, so it can't play with us unless it figures out some sensible way to ameliorate this.

You know what I want in from FE4? Pursuit. You know what I don't want in? The horrifically flagrant failure at life misbalancing it got. I will never understand what can lead people to recognise that doubling is broken and needs to be toned down, and so they make it restricted, but then the majority of people they give it to are the ones that were overpowered already. Sigh.

Generation system as implemented in FE4 is majorly pointless and can go sit with big ol' maps.

Castle Towns should come back. That includes weapon repair shops. Although they'd probably be better off if they nixed the partial repair option. FE4 Arena _definitely_ needs to come back in some way; a direct translation doesn't work with the amount of characters nonFE4 has at a time, but I see no problem with having just one big chain of fights that moves your entire group up a rank whenever one is won. Also should take a hint from Holyn's recruitment and give you some sort of prize for clearing a whole arena.

FE5; capturing is nice and all, but it could probably be streamlined. For example, a captured unit is immediately sent to your caravan to be dealt with after the map. You'd lose the chance to pick and choose weapons to use during the map, but you'd also have no problems with inventory space, or with having to spend other characters turns to deal with the character you just captured. Dunno how this sort of thing would work with enemies capturing, though.

FE6 is kinda the base system I'm assuming this stuff would be thrown on top of, so I can't really take much from it. It doesn't really have any standout features anyway. Same holds true for FE7.

FE8's split-path and split-promotions... the split-path in a gameplay sense is nigh-worthless, but it's nice from a storyline perspective. I have no problem with importing it if the hypothetical game is on the short side. Split-promotions were never very worthwhile so they can jump. World map was never very useful either... neither was Tear Ring's, for that matter.

Field promotion from FE9 can definitely be included, but I think that promoting with items/location/however else should be boosted in some manner so that there's actually a reason to do it beyond premature promotion which isn't that often taken advantage of anyway. Even if it's something as simple as 5 extra hp. Base screen definitely; it can tie in with FE4's Castle Towns. Support system very very definitely, the earlier system was not the most well thought out thing ever.

Unfortunately I haven't played FE11 yet so I can't say whether the Class Swap system or generic fillers are as awesome as they sound, so I can't say whether they're a good thing to import or not.

Anything from Tear Ring? Can't really think of anything to be honest. I don't like monsters, already gone over split pathing albiet a different style of such... It has some nice sounding skills, but as with the majority of FE skills most of them are luck based and I have a considerable annoyance towards luck basery. Can I import just the Dead or Alive skill >_>? Even if that does boil down to luck itself in the end as well I suppose... Can I import Gatling Bows >_>_>_> *shot*

Aha! Magic with more varied ranges. Sunflame is love. This includes TRS's MAP-style magics, although the whole HUR HUR EVEN TURNS ONLY requirement can be thrown out with the rest of the garbage. FE really, really needs MAP style magic; mages have been getting too much of a bad rap recently.

Let's drag in Combination Attacks from SRWs while we're at it. And I'm not talking scrubby triangle-attack style things. Or I would have just said those from FE1. Might as well pull in Battle Masteries/etc from SRW too, as they're an arguably superior system to rankings (even if SRW isn't spectacularly good at making them difficult at all, in general; although there were quite a few in Alpha/Alpha Sidestory that were problematic...)

Augeries from FE7. Not very useful, but darned cool.

Branching promotions from FE8, possibly free-roam if done well.

Base prep area, Bonus Exp, auto promotions and skills from FE9.

Magic system from FE 10, abd third tier classes.

FE10 Magic system, third tier classes, base prep, height advantage/disasdvantage, skills, bexp, forging weapons, mastery skills, promoting without weapons, support system (anyone can support with anyone), split teams giving you a chance to play as characters that you probably wouldn't, ability to see enemies movement range while you move your characters, there's more but I can't think of them right now. A lot of that stuff was in PoR but RD improved on almost everything gameplay wise and that made it my fave FE game. Also, the victory poses when a character kills an enemy was a nice touch except that you couldn't watch the whole pose unless your character was leveling up.

Edited by KSFF2150

Let's see...

FE9's Strength used to negate Attack Speed- Much more flexible than using GBA Con, and slightly more than FE5's Build. Although I suppose it was prone to making high Strength characters a bit overpowered.

FE9's Fixed Mode, but a "real" one. That is, completely the minor factors from enemy class and equipped weapon/accessory (besides the ones that had additions in Random mode).

FE9/10's Base system. Pretty self-explanatory if you've used it.

FE11's Support system, but with actual conversations and the ability to see support levels.

FE11's ability to skip enemy turns.

I'm out of ideas already, myself ^^;;;

Can I import Gatling Bows >_>_>_> *shot*

I was half expecting to see some in FE10 D:

Here's mine.

Have lots of useless garbage characters like FE1 did.

Have lots and lots of chapters like FE3 did.

All I want from FE4 is the ability to interact with your castle on the castle defense chapters.

All the awesomeness of FE5 that's been mentioned.

All of the awesomeness of FE6, including the support system, though make it more flexible as FE9's was. Oh, and have frickin' brigand's as recruitable characters please.

From FE7, I want an axe using lord.

I'm not one of those people who just bashes FE8 for the heck of it, but there's really nothing from it that I want.

From FE9 (and somewhat 10), the flexible supports (as I already mentioned) and forging. Recruitable soldiers are fun too.

FE11: Sweet modernizations of classic FE music.

The Ideal that I have in my mind would draw from not that many FE sources, actually.

Some of them I can think of are:

- FE8's trainee system, but expanded, combined with FE10's third tier, for four tiers of classes.

- FE7's multiple pathline stories, but once again, expanded, and even capitalized on

- FE4's Blood bonuses, but toned down and generalized.

- FE2's duality.

- Skills in general, but more like FE8 in mannerism. Still don't approve of most of the skills out there.

Most FEs have some unique features that I like, but all of them have flaws. How would you combine the features that you like? For me, the ideal Fire Emblem game would have:

- FE5's capturing

- FE5's thief, build and rescue system (your con/bld grows, thieves can steal anything, etc)

- FE6's or FE7's weapons Mt/accuracy/uses/etc (not sure which I like best - FE6 makes Skl matter since the accuracy is horrid, but it also makes axes and Javelins suck)

- FE6's enemy strength

- FE8's overworld map

- FE9's support system

- FE10's Wind Edges

This pretty much.

- FE5's capturing

- FE6's enemy strength

- FE8's overworld map

- FE9's support system

- FE10's Wind Edges

Branching Promotions, endgame campaign, even MORE weapons than Radiant Dawn, even more characters than RD, branching storyline, three-tiered promotions, Anima weapon triangle, Radiant Dawn-style stats, etc...

I like the idea of con/bld growth, since characters being almost permanently crippled by low con was a bit annoying in the GBA FEs... but I think it should grow more like weapon ranks instead of character stats, otherwise you're relying more and more on the RNG system for stat growth. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's occasionally infuriating and in some games it's easily manipulated. I'd just prefer a bit less luck involved in this game.

The trading system from FE5 is great as well; being able to trade with all adjacent characters is a great utility.

As far as FE5's rescue system, I don't like halved movement for rescuing high-bld units.

Twilkitri mentioned TearRing's magic, and though I haven't played the game, I agree that magic in FE needs more diversity and more specialized utility. In basically every game in the series there are probably at least 2-3 times as many physical weapons as magical weapons, and magic always feels like it's secondary to melee.

That said, I believe that certain special properties should be restricted to certain weapon types (e.g. no 1-2 range swords, no armor killer lance, etc.). I don't like how in some later games, one weapon type is almost completely superior to the others because the only differences separating weapon types are trends in hit and might. It feels like that, aside from having partial control over the weapon triangle, there's not a whole lot of benefit from wielding another weapon type.

Edited by dondon151

Something simple and fun that everyone can enjoy. Otherwise, FE will continue to be our niche. Cut down the extra stuff like skills, capturing, above 2 and below 1 tiers, abundance of weapon levels and weapons/items, extra classes etc. Add things such as battle save, danger etc that are optional so they won't bother veteran gamers. No forced tutorials, just simple yet fun stages in the beginning so people will be able to get into the game.

FE4 Arena _definitely_ needs to come back in some way; a direct translation doesn't work with the amount of characters nonFE4 has at a time, but I see no problem with having just one big chain of fights that moves your entire group up a rank whenever one is won. Also should take a hint from Holyn's recruitment and give you some sort of prize for clearing a whole arena.
I was thinking that the Arena should replace Bonus EXP every few chapters and that the amount of units that can go and fight there is limited.

My time

FE9 - Using STR istead of Con is ASP

FE9 - Fixed Mode

FE9/10's Base system.

FE11's ability to skip enemy turns.

FE10 Laguz System to Manakute Class.

FE10 Weapon Triangle

FE11 Weapon Triangle Bonus

FE11 Upgrade Weapon System

FE10 Third Tier just if there is need on the game (like 40 chapters)

I'd like FE5's whole system used as the base set-up, with added changes such as:

-FE2's duality--controlling two parties at the same time and merging them at the end was pretty interesting

-FE2's overworld map--to go with the above

-exploring certain places (FE2)--although with more conversations and narrative added so the battles don't seem random

-FE4's arena

-FE9's base system

-FE9's shove option

-FE9's support

-FE9's stats and calculations

-more unlockables (various FE)

-FE11's modes of difficulty

FE5's capture, fatigue, various chapter goals, BLD and MOV stat growths, leadership, re-move, scrolls, and variety of weapons would definitely stay. With this set-up the game probably wouldn't be very balanced, though.

Hm...

FE 6's awesome sword and lance users.

FE 7's sidequests that you unlock after certain conditions are fulfilled.

FE 8's overworld system (minus Tower of Valni, of course)

FE 9's support system, base sysem, vendor system, weapon forge system, etc.

FE 10's BEXP system (Yes, I actually liked it) and epic final chapter.

What major differences are there from FE6/7/8? Forging?

Forging, convos, supports, a shop that changes, it's a lot more than just a simple battle prep.

For what I'd like:

-STR in place of CON for AS.

-Capturing (Twilkitri's idea for streamlining it sounds good too)

-Possibly some sort of fatigue system.

-No World map

-Base from FE9/10

-Third Tiers

-Lots of personal weapons like FE5

-I kinda like the idea of movement having a very low chance to grow.

-FE5's promotion system, one item and it's character based, not class based in what you turn into.

-FE4's arena

-Anima Triangle within the Magic Triangle

-Lots of different victory conditions, or possibly multiple ones.

-FE10 stealing.

tbh you don't need forges or whatever for a good FE game either...the guy is just saying what he'd like most in one FE game (though I agree a lot of it would be pretty useless)