How can Lucina use the Falchion?

Glass_of_Milk

Honestly, it's not a bad assumption to make. When you have cases with both Marth and Chrom, who aren't the first born but apparently their older sisters can't use the sword...

Except, with a two-thousand year span between Anri and Lucina... the odds are just so low there hasn't been a female wielder before. I know they're not zero; but are still very low.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Well, it's better this way, honestly. In universe though, probably it's because Arachneans were sexist so few women tried to use the sword, plus Elice didn't have the requirements to hold Falchion, exactly like Lissa or Lucina's sibling used to think.  

As for the Holy Blood and Weapons of Genealogy of Holy war, my headcanon is that the whole cast have the blood of the Jugdral families in their family tree. It has been milleniums after all, so it's not so crazy that their descendants would be spread around the world to the point of forming cities or making entire royal families. Particularly I always interpreted that the 12 kids of second generation of Awakening are a direct reference to Genealogy. 

Edited by Mylady

I really doubt Lucina was the first woman that could wield Falchion.

I imagine it's more of a case if potential candidates simply not knowing that they can wield the Fachion. Since I really doubt the Falchion isn't put in a very guarded storage room when there's no more danger.

It's the blue hair. And Lucina's sibling can wield it because ... they have blue hair too. It's very simple. Emmeryn and Lissa and Owain don't have the blue hair. I like to think in some capacity over the centuries the 'strong' holy blood must have correlated to the blue hair. Hehe.

But on a serious note, the quote someone had from the game definitely doesn't make it seem like it has to be male-only. So it doesn't really feel like that much of a surprise or change in-lore. I also like the idea that the blood restrictions probably diminish over time naturally. 

Maybe it was a change made during the First Exalt's Awakening ceremony?

I mean, it wouldn't be the only thing that has changed about the blade between the Archanean games and Awakening.

It also however doesn't perfectly jive with the fact that Emmeryn wasn't able to wield it either. But we also know that Lucina's sibling can wield it as well in their support. It could just be chalked up to some strange curio, but maybe there's something else there.

Edited by Dayni

6 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

You can chalk that up to artwork differences. Here's a PRIME example:

340?cb=20190622053112latest?cb=20151027174527

You see these two guys? It's the EXACT SAME character. And meant to be the EXACT same APPEARANCE.

It was stated that it was the artwork that changed, but the appearances you see here are, storywise, intended to be the exact same appearance.

This is also why Tiki looks like a normal kind of dragon in Shadow Dragon, but different in Awakening. It's the same appearance storywise, but simply different artwork,

No, those are the same Zeros, but he has a different body in the MMZ series, Omega is the one with his original body that doesn't look like it should in the game,

and yes the Falchion is the same between the games canonically but design wise it looks different, as for the why Lucina can use it "The Falchion can only be used by those of Exalted blood, however the sword is selective on who can wield it even among Exalted blood." how the pact might have changed was during The Schism, with the First Exalt (who I believe to be Marth with Caeda and others who time traveled 1000 years forward) but it being male locked isn't confired to begin with, Fire Emblem Awakening's canon has always been... eh, like Priam, and the place Duma was buried, and the Valentian Falchion disappering, and Jugdral not mentioned even though it exists in the same world (and the deadlords and holy weapons from Jugdral)?

Edited by Fates-Blade

11 hours ago, Fates-Blade said:

No, those are the same Zeros, but he has a different body in the MMZ series, Omega is the one with his original body that doesn't look like it should in the game,

and yes the Falchion is the same between the games canonically but design wise it looks different, as for the why Lucina can use it "The Falchion can only be used by those of Exalted blood, however the sword is selective on who can wield it even among Exalted blood." how the pact might have changed was during The Schism, with the First Exalt (who I believe to be Marth with Caeda and others who time traveled 1000 years forward) but it being male locked isn't confired to begin with, Fire Emblem Awakening's canon has always been... eh, like Priam, and the place Duma was buried, and the Valentian Falchion disappering, and Jugdral not mentioned even though it exists in the same world (and the deadlords and holy weapons from Jugdral)?

It was confirmed that Zero's appearnace in X/Zero games are STILL the same. What changed is just the artstyle. So, lorewise, both designs are meant to be the exact same. But to viewers, it is completely different.

The First Exalt and his wife are just meant to be a little homage of like the second coming or such. But Marth is a thousand years before the First Exalt. 

Also, the lore has changed often times. Before it was stated that Falchion had a seal placed on it by Gotoh. Then it was stated that Falchion is a Holy Weapon like in Jugdral. Then Valentian Revelations reveals that Falchion can be wielded by those that have Divine Dragon blood and has a Brand. 

To be fair, it's possible it was a detail changed in development. Awakening has a support conversation where the First Exalt's wife is described in such a way it can't possibly be anyone other than Caeda. Perhaps they were meant to be one and the same; but it got changed later in development. Who knows.

Wait, it really said anyone with the blood and a brand? Marth himself has no brand (that we know of, and likely not yet since it might as well be retcon in eventually).

As far as artstyle/appearances go, I consider those to just be interpretations of things described in ancient texts newly discovered, like illustrations in a history book, or artistic depictions of historical figures and events.

Lucina and her sibling can wield the Falchion because they have blue hair. Nobody without blue hair has been able to wield it.

40 minutes ago, anikom15 said:

Lucina and her sibling can wield the Falchion because they have blue hair. Nobody without blue hair has been able to wield it.

Exactly! All these ridiculously anachronistic sexist theories until finally someone made some sense.

19 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Wait, it really said anyone with the blood and a brand? Marth himself has no brand (that we know of, and likely not yet since it might as well be retcon in eventually).

Marth has a brand in his left butt cheek.  Just Caeda and his mother saw it.