Shadow of Valentia Chapter Maps

Jotari

Anyone have any rips for the chapter maps for Shadow of Valentia, or know where to find them? I mean the actual gameplay maps. Everything I search is just giving me the dungeon maps. Specifically I want the final Grima map. Trying to recreate it on the GBA for a project, so I need to know how big it is and how the circle/pattern is made. Failing that if anyone could just count how big the dimensions are that would help quite a bit.

First of all, what do you mean by rip?  Do you mean an actual 3D model?  I think that's a fruitless search unless you want to try ripping the model yourself.  In fact, if you do indeed mean 3D model rips, I have to wonder how it is you even found rips of the dungeons, because there's barely a soul alive in this world that's interested in ripping 3D models from this game, let alone the specific kinds of models you're talking about (which I'll say are generally less popular rips because people mostly care about character models for the purposes of using them in posing/animation programs or other software like VR Chat).

I think it's just too much trouble to try to find a 3D model rip of the map for what you're trying to do, especially since the models won't actually have grids anyway so you'll just be confused about how big it is by unit squares.  I'd personally just seek out imagery of the entire field of battle.  The best I could find for you in terms of visualizing the post-game boss map is this video which kinda shows off most if not all of the map (which is already tagged to the time the battle actually starts, but in case it doesn't start then the timestamp is 43:13):

I've done my own quick measuring, and the diameter of the circle is about 21 units.  There's a bit of an opening at the bottom that's 5/1 units in width/length.  There's also plenty of rubble and columns strewn about in a conveniently "gamey" manner, but I'm not about to spend 12 hours trying to explain exactly how they're arrayed so just watch the video.  Barring that video, I'd honestly say you should try snapping a pic/some pics yourself.  I know they'll be bad quality unless you have special 3DS video capturing hardware, but sometimes you just have to do things yourself.

Don't know about ripped from the data maps, but War of Dragons has pictures. If you want the one for The Creation, it's here. Just scroll down't, can't miss it, really. The site is also available in English, if you mind too much the Spanish.

Their maps do include the units, so it's not quite a clean picture of the map, but it shouldn't be hard to discern what those tiles should look like.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

12 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

First of all, what do you mean by rip?  Do you mean an actual 3D model?  I think that's a fruitless search unless you want to try ripping the model yourself.  In fact, if you do indeed mean 3D model rips, I have to wonder how it is you even found rips of the dungeons, because there's barely a soul alive in this world that's interested in ripping 3D models from this game, let alone the specific kinds of models you're talking about (which I'll say are generally less popular rips because people mostly care about character models for the purposes of using them in posing/animation programs or other software like VR Chat).

I think it's just too much trouble to try to find a 3D model rip of the map for what you're trying to do, especially since the models won't actually have grids anyway so you'll just be confused about how big it is by unit squares.  I'd personally just seek out imagery of the entire field of battle.  The best I could find for you in terms of visualizing the post-game boss map is this video which kinda shows off most if not all of the map (which is already tagged to the time the battle actually starts, but in case it doesn't start then the timestamp is 43:13):

I've done my own quick measuring, and the diameter of the circle is about 21 units.  There's a bit of an opening at the bottom that's 5/1 units in width/length.  There's also plenty of rubble and columns strewn about in a conveniently "gamey" manner, but I'm not about to spend 12 hours trying to explain exactly how they're arrayed so just watch the video.  Barring that video, I'd honestly say you should try snapping a pic/some pics yourself.  I know they'll be bad quality unless you have special 3DS video capturing hardware, but sometimes you just have to do things yourself.

Huh, for some reason I was thinking the maps were 2D. Maybe because the game uses 2D sprites, but now that I think some more that solidly is in the whole zoom into that portion of the map era. Ideally I'd just whip out my own 3DS and map from that but years of traveling have eventually placed it in a less than working condition.

11 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Don't know about ripped from the data maps, but War of Dragons has pictures. If you want the one for The Creation, it's here. Just scroll down't, can't miss it, really. The site is also available in English, if you mind too much the Spanish.

Their maps do include the units, so it's not quite a clean picture of the map, but it shouldn't be hard to discern what those tiles should look like.

Ah, now that's actually perfect. The units are even helpful as it gives a sense of scale. Thanks.

13 hours ago, Jotari said:

Huh, for some reason I was thinking the maps were 2D. Maybe because the game uses 2D sprites, but now that I think some more that solidly is in the whole zoom into that portion of the map era. Ideally I'd just whip out my own 3DS and map from that but years of traveling have eventually placed it in a less than working condition.

I can see why you might think that, especially since the mountain ranges in SoV are actually kinda flat.  But if you scroll the map cursor over bits of the maps with elevated elements, such as mountains or walls, and if you zoom in and out at a crevice or mountain range, you'll find it is in fact 3D.  And of course zooming in at the battle animation level shows them rendered in 3D.  It's been like that since Awakening.  Also pretty sure it was like that with the Tellius games, too.

The only time the graphics had a pseudo 3D style to them where they looked 3D but were actually 2D was in the DS games, both with the sprites and the maps, and that style wasn't all that well received.