Man I just really love Severa

Ottservia

That’s really all I wanted to say. I just love her a lot and I feel like I haven’t really expressed my love for her on here lately so that’s what I wanna do. She’s just my favorite fictional character in general and I love her far too much.

I'm more of a Cordelia person myself; she's kindhearted, humble, smart, and she manages to be serious in an endearing way rather than a placid way or annoying way. Plus, I like redheads. …Oh, you meant as a character; never mind (just joking). 

I guess Severa's fairly interesting as a character, though I should point out that I know more about her and all the other 2nd-generation characters from wikis and discussions than from the actual game because I didn't see many of their support conversations, as I recruited all the optional characters at the very last minute. I found her a bit irritating; I understand why she behaves that way, but it can still be a bit grating. I suppose another thing I should stress is that I've never been a fan of tsunderes, with the few exceptions being characters whose tsundere attitude was tied directly to their character arc/development, such as Midna from Twilight Princess and Riley Miller from Valkyria Chronicles 4, and Severa has no arc due to being an optional side-character. 

Still, as a unit she was pretty good. She suffered the 2nd-gen issue of being level 10 and unpromoted when your team is already promoted by the earliest time you can recruit her, but her being the daughter of Cordelia and Robin in half of my playthroughs more-than compensated for that. I still didn't use her that much, as I honestly didn't use any of the 2nd-gen units except Lucina that much. 

…And that's all I can really say about her as a character. 

17 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Severa has no arc due to being an optional side-character. 

*Severa has no arc* I want you to try saying that again cause from where I’m standing that statement is simply wrong in every way. 

55 minutes ago, Parrhesia said:

Severa isn't even the best version of Severa, which is Selena, who isn't even the best Selena. Makes you think.

the only part of this i disagree with is selena not being the best selena; the fluorspar is a modestly executed one-note series trope character. selena, by contrast, has mixed execution but is overall more ambitiously realized, with the only downside being that her summon line scans to any trump tweet you want

1 hour ago, Ottservia said:

*Severa has no arc* I want you to try saying that again cause from where I’m standing that statement is simply wrong in every way. 

Clarification on my part: I meant more that Severa has no story arc; it's all in the support conversations so we don't see it outside of those or see any long-term effects of it or anything like that. She has growth, but it's all in optional conversations when she's already an optional side-character someone who breezes through the story and either forgets to do the 2nd-gen units' paralogues and recruit them until the last-minute (as I did) or deliberately ignores them would miss out on. It's buried so far down that I almost have a hard time calling it an arc. Does that make more sense?

Anyway, what did you think of the rest of what I said?

57 minutes ago, Parrhesia said:

Selena doesn't have pigtails, which is a massive advantage over Selena.

pigtails become swaggy when they're like five feet long

2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Clarification on my part: I meant more that Severa has no story arc; it's all in the support conversations so we don't see it outside of those or see any long-term effects of it or anything like that. She has growth, but it's all in optional conversations when she's already an optional side-character someone who breezes through the story and either forgets to do the 2nd-gen units' paralogues and recruit them until the last-minute (as I did) or deliberately ignores them would miss out on. It's buried so far down that I almost have a hard time calling it an arc. Does that make more sense?

Anyway, what did you think of the rest of what I said?

I mean what’s there to say? It’s mostly just personal taste at that point. You don’t like Severa fair enough. I can’t really argue that. The only thing I’ll call bullshit on is that she’s probably one of the better tsundere characters I’ve seen because it’s extremely well integrated into her character. But if you find her grating no amount of me telling you there’s depth is really gonna change that so it’s like whatever man personal taste. Also I just don’t feel like writing an entire analysis essay right especially of one I’ve already done.

Awakening's got some great characters that really resonated with people, I myself have one or two of my favorige fictional characters come from this game. I will say, Severa didn't stand out to me initially, as I was never the biggest fan of Tsunderes, but she did eventually win me over through her supports, and by Fates I felt the character was as well rounded as most Fateswakening characters could get.

Her goal is to be like her 'perfect' mother but can't be.

Her goal may have come from people telling her she needs to be perfect like her mother or she's worthless.

She is jealous of people that can do things better than her because of her goal.

Her cold exterior is a shield, putting people down to make herself seem better than them in her eyes.

Ultimately she just wants her family and people she loves to care about her.

She's a good character but I've never understood why she tries so hard to be someone she knows she can't be but wants to be, her mother.

Maybe she thought people wouldn't care about her if she isn't like her? But I would've not cared what people thought of me after trying for some time and it never being enough.

Also, people have mentioned interestingly in there supports that she's fine as she is and helpful, I know she truely believes she's useless herself and so doesn't believe it, but how?

She really DOES help the army, she fights for one and is one of the strongest according to Fates IIRC

Maybe she does stop caring about people's expectations of her in Fates?

I don't know because I haven't dived deep into her character, but she seems to be a good character with reasonable depth.

BUT, I can also say I.S. doesn't make clear, sometimes, character's backstory, e.g. Hana and why she is so dedicated to Sakura. (It could be because of her father but, to my knowledge, who knows...)

While I.S. leaving it vague does leave room for player interpretation, it also can seem lazy as it does for me, I think I could enjoy characters in all FE games better if they had more clear instead of vague or confusing backstory, especially for why they act the way they do in the main story.

Also, do you know about the Parent Child Convo at Hoshidan festival of Bonds with Selena and Caeldori? If not you might want to take a look.

https://fe14festivalofbondstranslations.tumblr.com/post/144826454878/hoshidan-festival-selena-and-caeldori

And I think CordeliaxVirion is a good pairing when you put all of her character together.

It's even better to me since she's a Bow Knight in Fates, and her Awakening hair is blue with Virion as the father and blue is on the opposite end of the color spectrum to red.

Edited by Fates-Blade

8 hours ago, Ottservia said:

I mean what’s there to say? It’s mostly just personal taste at that point. You don’t like Severa fair enough. I can’t really argue that. The only thing I’ll call bullshit on is that she’s probably one of the better tsundere characters I’ve seen because it’s extremely well integrated into her character. But if you find her grating no amount of me telling you there’s depth is really gonna change that so it’s like whatever man personal taste. Also I just don’t feel like writing an entire analysis essay right especially of one I’ve already done.

I didn't say that I don't like her; more just that I don't have enough about her character from my experience of playing Awakening to really say much that's positive or negative. 

If it helps, I did like her in Fates: Conquest (her being an established character helped her avoid being one-dimensional like the bulk of the characters surrounding her). I even paired her with Silas, mainly because they complemented each other well stat-wise, but I did enjoy their support conversations to some extent; I just can't really remember their support conversations. 

i didn't like her in awakening, which i played for like fifty thousand hours and experienced every drop of content from, and married her in conquest, which i played once

part of that was because i wasn't exactly spoiled for choice in nohr, but also i kinda liked her as selena years later where as severa she was always one of the consistent low points of the roster for me

5 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I didn't say that I don't like her; more just that I don't have enough about her character from my experience of playing Awakening to really say much that's positive or negative. 

If it helps, I did like her in Fates: Conquest (her being an established character helped her avoid being one-dimensional like the bulk of the characters surrounding her). I even paired her with Silas, mainly because they complemented each other well stat-wise, but I did enjoy their support conversations to some extent; I just can't really remember their support conversations. 

To be frank, her silas support is by far one of my least favorites of hers(only being beaten out by her Corrin support) simply due to the S-support where she tells Silas to love her over their potential children which is super out of character for her especially considering what she's been through. If anything Severa would implore her husband to love their child above all else since she accused her mother of loving someone else over her own daughter. It's incredibly hypocritical of her to say that to Silas. She knows what it's like to feel neglected by her parents and she would never want any child of hers to go through what she had to. In all honesty I also feel like she just has better supports in awakening. Not to say her supports in fates are bad, they're just not nearly as good because the reason for her insecurities is not there. Basically if you only played fates, your understanding of her character as a whole is going to be rather shallow because the struggles of her character and what makes her relatable aren't really present in fates. Read her father support enough said.

12 hours ago, Fates-Blade said:

Her goal is to be like her 'perfect' mother but can't be.

Her goal may have come from people telling her she needs to be perfect like her mother or she's worthless.

She is jealous of people that can do things better than her because of her goal.

Her cold exterior is a shield, putting people down to make herself seem better than them in her eyes.

Ultimately she just wants her family and people she loves to care about her.

She's a good character but I've never understood why she tries so hard to be someone she knows she can't be but wants to be, her mother.

Maybe she thought people wouldn't care about her if she isn't like her? But I would've not cared what people thought of me after trying for some time and it never being enough.

Also, people have mentioned interestingly in there supports that she's fine as she is and helpful, I know she truely believes she's useless herself and so doesn't believe it, but how?

She really DOES help the army, she fights for one and is one of the strongest according to Fates IIRC

Maybe she does stop caring about people's expectations of her in Fates?

I don't know because I haven't dived deep into her character, but she seems to be a good character with reasonable depth.

BUT, I can also say I.S. doesn't make clear, sometimes, character's backstory, e.g. Hana and why she is so dedicated to Sakura. (It could be because of her father but, to my knowledge, who knows...)

While I.S. leaving it vague does leave room for player interpretation, it also can seem lazy as it does for me, I think I could enjoy characters in all FE games better if they had more clear instead of vague or confusing backstory, especially for why they act the way they do in the main story.

Severa's character is a lot more clear cut than you think and I have written an analysis of her character if you want to read it.

but to summarize, the core of Severa's character is the want to be acknowledged and loved. She wants to feel needed. All her life she's been told she's not good enough. She's always in the shadow of her mother. But despite all this, she loves her mother more than anything. Cordelia is Severa's role model who she holds in the highest regard but she hides because she doesn't want to be compared to her mother. She wants to be acknowledged for her own efforts. She feels like no one really cares about her feelings because she's constantly been told that she isn't perfect like her mom then she isn't worth anything and the one time she did open up to someone they died on her. They broke their promise. She feels like she can't really trust anyone with her feelings because she thinks they won't care. The core of her character centers on her being able to trust people. To realize that she doesn't need to be perfect in order to be loved. 

Also, do you know about the Parent Child Convo at Hoshidan festival of Bonds with Selena and Caeldori? If not you might want to take a look.

https://fe14festivalofbondstranslations.tumblr.com/post/144826454878/hoshidan-festival-selena-and-caeldori

I haven't read it until now and all I have to say is that it's really sweet and I love it. It's great.

And I think CordeliaxVirion is a good pairing when you put all of her character together.

It's even better to me since she's a Bow Knight in Fates, and her Awakening hair is blue with Virion as the father and blue is on the opposite end of the color spectrum to red.

I personally thing CordeilaxRobin is the best pairing when you take everything about her character into account. I could write an essay as for the reasons I think this but to keep it brief essentially what this does is it kind of triples Severa's inferiority complex. She's got the perfect father, perfect mother, and perfect little sister. Her entire family is better than her or at least is perceived to be better than her. It gets to the point where Severa has trouble carving out her own little niche in the family. Again, there are a bunch of other reasons but then we'd be here all day and that also gets into headcanon territory.

Ottservia:

But soft, what light through yonder window breaks?

It is the east, and Severa is the sun.

Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon,

Who is already sick and pale with grief

That thou, her maid, art far more fair than she. . . .

The brightness of her cheek would shame those stars

As daylight doth a lamp; her eye in heaven

Would through the airy region stream so bright

That birds would sing and think it were not night.