A Prequel

You make it sound like FE8 is unplayable. :/ It's actually a solid game. The only problems I can think of at the moment would be the difficulty and length.

you're serious?

The character development was.. to say the least, pitiful. And the story was weakkkkk.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you're serious?

The character development was.. to say the least, pitiful. And the story was weakkkkk.

>_> Support Conversations.

It's a standard Fire Emblem story. I don't know why everyone's complaining about the story.

@TheEnd: "Solid" may not be the best adjective, but you get the picture.

@TheEnd: "Solid" may not be the best adjective, but you get the picture.

Actually, I don't.

The game is clearly rushed and horribly balanced. It's too short and too easy. The story isn't special, character development isn't that hot. Compared to other games in the series, it's a rather flawed installment.

Edited by TheEnd

>_> Support Conversations.

It's a standard Fire Emblem story. I don't know why everyone's complaining about the story.

You don't get it, I guess. Fire Emblem's stories usually suck, imho. And, FE8's was even weaker.

Support conversations are NOT character development, at all.

Actually, I don't.

The game is clearly rushed and horribly balanced. It's too short and too easy. The story isn't special, character development isn't that hot. Compared to other games in the series, it's a rather flawed installment.

How is being balanced bad? o_O

I'm sure that the game was meant to be that easy for beginners. Also, it's not so easy that you'll never have to think about what you do, either.

Alright, the story isn't anything special; I can agree with that.

Compare FE1/3/DS and tell me there was worse character development in this.

You forget that it also brings back some good features like a world map and branched promotions.

You don't get it, I guess. Fire Emblem's stories usually suck, imho. And, FE8's was even weaker.

Support conversations are NOT character development, at all.

FE8's was as good as the original's. omgbaddudetryingtotakeovertheworldsendtheroyaltyandassortedunitstokillzhim

Support Conversations are concentrated character development. >_>

Edited by ChaosNinji

I'm sure that the game was meant to be that easy for beginners. Also, it's not so easy that you'll never have to think about what you do, either.

Alright, the story isn't anything special; I can agree with that.

Compare FE1/3/DS and tell me there was worse character development in this.

You forget that it also brings back some good features like a world map and branched promotions.

I said it isn't balanced.

Also, I'm not using FE1/3/DS as references - as a matter of fact, I've seldom played those. The fact it isn't the worst in a given way doesn't mean it's good or solid either.

The world map (with the repeatable battles) helped making the game too easy. The branched promotions are a nice concept, but does it save Seima and turn it into a solid game, on par with the others FEs? I don't think so. Especially if you consider what Ike-Mike just said.

FE8's was as good as the original's. omgbaddudetryingtotakeovertheworldsendtheroyaltyandassortedunitstokillzhim

The original FE wasn't good.

Edited by TheEnd

It's not balanced, and being aimed towards beginners is no excuse for any mode higher than easy still being a walk in the park.

I also don't consider the world map a "good" feature because it contributed literally nothing to the game other than abusable experience and access to shops.

I'm not quite sure why everyone is harping on the necessity of thorough character development; I believe that aside from main characters and some prominent secondary characters, it really makes no difference at all whether or not everyone's personalities are fleshed out. It's certainly not done in literature. Good plot should be primary to thorough character development, and while Fire Emblem in general doesn't have fantastic plots, FE8's was really lackluster. You shouldn't compare it to FE1's since, well... FE1 came before FE8.

Paladins vs. Great Knights: Axes vs. 2 Mov

Axes offer what, WTC, Swordslayer, and slightly higher might? Extra damage really isn't necessary in this game where player units rape anyway, but at least 2 move lets you blaze through this game faster.

I'm not quite sure why everyone is harping on the necessity of thorough character development; I believe that aside from main characters and some prominent secondary characters, it really makes no difference at all whether or not everyone's personalities are fleshed out. It's certainly not done in literature.

It's a nice extra.

Also, a game allows more chances of (optional) character development for secondary characters than a book would.

You shouldn't compare it to FE1's since, well... FE1 came before FE8.

Not exactly that - otherwise, we wouldn't be able to compare FE8 to FE3-7.

The point is that FE1 is an old, old NES game.

Hmm, they don't have any mage girls within the 12 Crusaders : /

(Off-topic, but I couldn't resist) Isn't Fala a mage girl? Fala certainly looks feminine in that classical illustration of the crusaders.

Edited by BloodySakura

In my opinion, I would greatly prefer that IS stay as far away from Magvel as possible. FE8 didn't overly impress me for various reasons which have been mainly mentioned already, and I think that they set the plight of the continent up well enough in the very beginning of the game that I can't honestly think of what they could even make a prequel about. Granted, though, with what they had in FE6 at the time, I probably wouldn't have been able to think up a prequel to it either...

I'd much prefer that IS stick to making new games in new locales with new characters. I hated how they handled FE10, seeing as they spent so much time showing off new characters in scans and such (most of the Part 1 cast), with the occasional returning character from FE9 showing up. It got my hopes up that this was going to be a new tale set years after Ike had finished his quest off having little to do with FE9 aside from the previous conflict (and plot points) and the continent/location. Something kind of along the lines of (dare I make the comparison) Tales of Symphonia 2 to ToS. Same world, cameos and references, etc. But, I was gravely disappointed as more and more information was leaked out in scans and the game had basically become what I had feared it would be, a direct sequel that was like a second part to the previous game. (At least NoA had the balls to reveal the returning characters along with the new characters so it didn't seem like it was an entirely new game in the same location.)

Not exactly that - otherwise, we wouldn't be able to compare FE8 to FE3-7.

The point is that FE1 is an old, old NES game.

Well, yeah. Since FE8 comes after FE1, one can criticize FE8 for being too similar plotwise to FE1, while it doesn't necessarily work the other way around.

And I'll concede that extra character development is a nice bonus to some, while it matters little to others. Personal preference, I suppose.

I don't think this game deserves a prequel.

Aside from being the worst in series, this game really doesn't have a great story.

While you might argue that the 5 heroes and their war against the Demon King would make a good sequel, nearly every FE has something of that type that would make a good sequel.

I haven't played the first 5 FE's so I don't know about their stories well, but I do know that if any of their ancient heroes deserves a prequel to be made for the sake of using them, its the Tellius series.

Theirs is the only one where the ancient heroes very heavily influence the games story (all of them still influencing the game's story. Yes Soan and Altina still influence the story even in death through their descendants.)

And it would make for a very interesting game to say the least (particularly because Altina could be the first primary Lord to be female.)

Edited by Chris Lionheart

None of the "legendary heroes" of FE games deserve a game for themselves and Tellius has outlived it's usefulness. >_<

You, sir, are seemingly unaware of how blasphemous those words are.

None of the "legendary heroes" of FE games deserve a game for themselves and Tellius has outlived it's usefulness. >_<

What about Seisen as your favorite game huh?

How can you think that the 12 Crusaders + Myra do not deserve their own game!?

Honestly, I feel that FE8 ultimately took from FE9(and thus 10. . .).

But a prequel isn't an AWFUL idea. Granted, I'd rather deal in the Scouring or with the 12 crusaders, just because those seem to be better stories, but that's just me.

What they really need is a brand new story. I can come up with better stories than IS.

Oh but...they still can make an interesting story....a prequel would sound very interesting to me. Only because it doesn't sound interesting from this game doesn't mean it won't be interesting. It ends up depending on the developers. I personally would look forward to a prequel of FE8.

A brand new story will hopefully be made since the FE series never should end.

Edited by Celestie

• 3 weeks later...

I say they make a loose sequel on the same continent to flesh out a section of politics and history of Magvel not previously focused on. Tie it directly to the first game in a way such as the events of the 2nd wouldn't happen without the first but not in a direct or obvious way similar to what Chrono Cross did with Chrono Trigger. Which would also mean new characters and hopefully a new antagoinists. It doesn't even have to be the same time period, but they can find a way to interwine both into a majestic story if they tried.

Edited by killaGAW