Common Misconceptions

Defeatist Elitist

Although it must be stated that a character is bad if most of the other characters in general are better than them. :P

Not necessarily. Especially if you're playing Sacred Stones.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that SS is easy doesn't mean Knoll and co. do not suck. Let's for the moment assume that in SS, most of your units one-round consistently, and it takes 5 hits to die, and they often face something like 20% hit.

Now, for example in Thracia, your dudes often get 2HKOed at 30% hit or even worse. I'm not talking garbage such as Ronan here, but even top tiers like Fergus.

My point here is that being good or bad is relative to other characters. Knoll is getting killed in 1-2 hits at extreme hit and even crit rates. The other units are far above that. In Thracia, your best units face chances of death nearly every turn in some chapters. But there are much worse units out there.

I'm not talking garbage such as Ronan here

I see what you did there.

Either way, I'm interpreting "characters" as "units you recruit" - as opposed to enemies. If a character is relatively weak compared to others (in SS, this almost means "not capping everything"), and yet is stronger than his enemies, he isn't bad at all.

It's like saying the less bright of a group of 30 geniuses is a retard. You'd probably pick the other 29 over him, but he can still do his job.

Parts of the FE6 sidequest/true ending requirements. I blame the outdated FAQs.

Speaking of incorrect FAQs I remember back in FESS1 when someone tolds us they were having trouble capturing Galzus to which we all responded "Why would you want to do that?" and it turned out some Chinese FAQ said you had to capture Galzus else you wouldn't get him later on...its most likely a misconception of don't kill

The FE4 ones refresh 4 people at the same time. The FE5 one is bleh for a dancer, since she fatigues really quickly.

And the FE3 one refreshes 1 unit, recieves 10% support from Navarre, can use Rapiers and the Lady Sword and has good strength growth (60% making her joint third in the game). Of course her combat potential is limited to glass cannon (lack of HP and defences...in a game where evade isn't a reliable option...) against units weak to those weapons.

Fiona is terrible because of her joining conditions.

This isn't a misconception, it's the truth of it.

Either way, I'm interpreting "characters" as "units you recruit" - as opposed to enemies. If a character is relatively weak compared to others (in SS, this almost means "not capping everything"), and yet is stronger than his enemies, he isn't bad at all.

It's like saying the less bright of a group of 30 geniuses is a retard. You'd probably pick the other 29 over him, but he can still do his job.

That means he's capable, but when making tier lists and such, it's relative strength that matters, not absolute. Galzus looks like a retard when you compare him to FE10 endgame units because his absolute stats are lower, but he's definitely better off than a lot of those.

That means he's capable, but when making tier lists and such, it's relative strength that matters, not absolute. Galzus looks like a retard when you compare him to FE10 endgame units because his absolute stats are lower, but he's definitely better off than a lot of those.

You're the one talking about tier lists. I'm talking about playing.

She's actually even better than a Laguz royal if you baby her to her second class.

Maybe better than Nailah come endgame. Maybe. The other Royals destroy any unit. Well, Caineghis does. If not for his joining time, he'd be God tier.

The FE5 one is bleh for a dancer, since she fatigues really quickly.

Though Lara does retain Theif utility, so at least she has that perk. ^_^

Marth sucks because he can't promote seems like a pretty common misconception to me.

This. Marth is actually pretty good in FE1, and one of the best in Book 2. Caps are low everywhere, so not promoting isn't so terrible. The Fire Emblem gives great utility, too. :)

She's actually even better than a Laguz royal if you baby her to her second class.

No, every Laguz royal beats her. Nailah isn't bad at all, in fact, she's better than Tibarn/Naesala.

Oh yeah, FE2 fails because it's FE2.

At least, that's the impression I get from some people.

Related: FE2's features were ignored in the later FEs.

FE4, 8 and 10 would like to have a chat with those who think so.

Maybe better than Nailah come endgame. Maybe. The other Royals destroy any unit. Well, Caineghis does. If not for his joining time, he'd be God tier.
No, every Laguz royal beats her. Nailah isn't bad at all, in fact, she's better than Tibarn/Naesala.

I agree with Knife. Ninji, you talk about Nailah like she's the worst laguz royal, but in the overall scope of the game, she's likely the best. In endgame, she still beats Naesala and possibly Tibarn.

Actually, I was talking about Nailah's overall usefulness. She is almost critical to beating Part 1 endgame (assuming you want to reach those Thieves in time).

In battle, Caineghis>Kurthanaga=Tibarn>Nailah>Naesala.

Eh? No. Maybe Naesala, but certainly not Tibarn. If we're just talking endgame, which is what I thought we were talking about, Caineghis is easily the best.

It's easily debatable. For endgame only, Caineghis is easily the best. But between Nailah and Tibarn, it's tough to choose. Nailah had two part 1 chapters to build supports, so she can have A when Tibarn can only have B. She also has a level lead on him to start, and laguz don't gain much experience through normal kills. You'd have to dump a lot of BEXP on them, and then they're still so even it's a tough call.

Tibarn has the swamp chapter and he can fly. Big bonus.

He's got 4 leadership stars too, and since he commands in 4-2 and 4-5, he greatly benefits anyone with him on those two chapters.

Edited by Black Luster Soldier

Tibarn has the swamp chapter and he can fly. Big bonus.

Flying is pretty much useless in endgame, as it isn't really benefitting him at all. And I don't know about you, but I like to have my Beorc get the massize exp. in 4-5. And, although it isn't as good, you can't ignore the huge number of reinforcements you face in Oliver's mansion. And you also can't ignore Nailah's already existing support.

@BLS: Yeah, that too. >_< Nailah only has 3.

@Fox: Even if you want to give your Beorc units the experience, you still have to option. There's about 100 reinforcements in 4-5. Oliver's mansion doesn't even come close to that. Nailah's got a bond support with Rafiel, right? Unfortunatly for her, Reyson is much, much better than Rafiel, so he's not being used come endgame. Tibarn has a total of THREE bond supports, one with each Heron. No matter which you choose, he's benifitting from them.

Edited by ChaosNinji

@BLS: Yeah, that too. >_< Nailah only has 3.

@Fox: Even if you want to give your Beorc units the experience, you still have to option. There's about 100 reinforcements in 4-5. Oliver's mansion doesn't even come close to that. Nailah's got a bond support with Rafiel, right? Unfortunatly for her, Reyson is much, much better than Rafiel, so he's not being used come endgame. Tibarn has a total of THREE bond supports, one with each Heron. No matter which you choose, he's benifitting from them.

Rafiel is not as good as Reyson, but still good for being able to refresh four units at once. And why would you even mention bonds? Neither Nailah or Tibarn are benefitting from them at all, especially the ones with Canto, since they are moving away. If wanting to use a bond, Rafiel is actually the easiest to get it from.

I also just found out that Nailah has a much better chance of capping the majority of her stats. Same total growth% + fewer stat ups actually needed + naturally capping a few stats. Tibarn doesn't cap stats as well, naturally or through BEXP. Better stats + better availability = Nailah wins.