Social board?

VincentASM

First things first, I don't want any (direct) continued discussions from the FFtF topic quality thread. If you have an opinion on that matter, either wait until it reopens (which it probably won't), or PM me or another staff member.

Basically (yes I was serious about the idea), what would members think of adding a Social board, for discussions of day-to-day stuff and things that aren't utter spam, but not quite serious enough for the General boards? If created, the board probably wouldn't increment postcount, if that matters at all.

Honestly I think it's a half-assed solution. Simply sorting the idiocy from the spam doesn't fix the big issue which is the bleeding effect. However, I suppose a half-assed solution is better than no solution.

Alright, I'll see how this goes. If all else fails, I can always unload the topics to FFTF... Just kidding, kind of.

Anyone have any preference on where the SF chat subforum should go? I was thinking of in the Social board, but I'll admit it's been a long time since I checked the state of that subforum.

It's not the quality of activity that bothers me, it's the lack of activity. The most recent thread in there was posted yesterday and has received no responses. Prior to that, it had been dead for a week or so.

Will postcount count in the new section?

No. I already mentioned it : P

As for the chat forum, that was established because there were a relative abundance of chat-related topics. I agree that it's relatively inactive now, so maybe it is time to close the curtains on it.

Edited by VincentASM

No. I already mentioned it : P

As for the chat forum, that was established because there were a relative abundance of chat-related topics. I agree that it's relatively inactive now, so maybe it is time to close the curtains on it.

Smarty makes announcements and such there

Whats the point of this new board, I mean I don't see a point, it will just take out any relevant fftf posts

I know this is out of place but while we're on the subject of the chatroom. It would be nice to have a link on the links bar (the one that links to things like the portal and the rules) to the chatroom.

I don't think the new board for that kind of thing would be a good idea. If you have something serious to say about something that happened in your day, it can go in the general board as long as the OP provides a talking point. (I.E. The Dream Thread. OP posted about a dream they had, then provided the opportunity for other members to discuss their dreams as well. ) I think if it can foster reasonable discussion then its worthy of the general board. As for the other side, its pretty obvious when a topic is worthy of FFTF.

I think that most people can turn a marginal topic sitting on the fence into a General Board worthy discussion with just a little effort. If they don't feel like putting forth the effort, then they can just dump it in FFTF. If there's a social board without postcount and with lax standards, I feel that it will get mostly watered down threads because there will be no incentive to put forth effort.

And if you REALLY want to tell someone how shitty your day was, just start a LiveJournal or something.

Edited by Iceland

Alright, I'll see how this goes. If all else fails, I can always unload the topics to FFTF... Just kidding, kind of.

Anyone have any preference on where the SF chat subforum should go? I was thinking of in the Social board, but I'll admit it's been a long time since I checked the state of that subforum.

I wouldn't mind if it got moved to the social board. Either way works for me.

Smarty makes announcements and such there

Whats the point of this new board, I mean I don't see a point, it will just take out any relevant fftf posts

Yeah, i don't post annoucements about it often, but where else would i put them then for whenever i do need to?

Personally i still think we should keep it, even if it is somewhat inactive right now.

I know this is out of place but while we're on the subject of the chatroom. It would be nice to have a link on the links bar (the one that links to things like the portal and the rules) to the chatroom.

That sounds fine to me, might help any people who didn't know about it already find out about it.

As for actually even making the social board, i don't really have much of an opinion on it.

Edited by SmartRutter7