Video Game Spinoffs You Want to See

vanguard333

Basically, what do you think could be a neat idea for a spin-off title for an existing game series? They could be a crossover, a game where the protagonist isn't the series' protagonist, genre spinoffs, etc.

As per usual when I make topics like these, here's two examples:

Example 1:

Series: Metroid:

Now that Metroid Dread has apparently brought the series back on track (I say "apparently" only because I'm not a longtime fan and I've only played Dread and Super) and made it more popular than ever before, I think it might be interesting to see them revisit the idea of a spin-off where you don't actually play as Samus but as some random Federation soldier, but this time in an actual Metroidvania format.

The premise would be that the player character is a rookie Federation soldier whose squad is sent to investigate something happening on a planet, only for the mission to go awry and for the rookie to be the sole survivor with no way to leave the planet or call for backup. Since they're not Samus, but a regular Federation soldier in over their head, this would not only justify having zero upgrades at the start of the game, but it would also potentially make the enemies in the game seem all the more threatening and it would be a perfect opportunity to experiment with brand new upgrades that aren't as powerful as the typical Metroid upgrades (since, if I understand correctly, Samus' upgrades are usually Chozo tech and are more advanced than what the Federation can use; someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this). It would also allow for the game to be smaller in scale.

Example 2:

Series: The Legend of Zelda:

A Zelda game where the player plays as Zelda, who has to protect Hyrule while Link is unable to do so for some reason (be it from journeying outside Hyrule before the game began or some other reason). It would focus less on exploration and more on puzzle-solving (to fit the use of the Triforce of Wisdom rather than Courage), and magic would be used instead of items.

Edited by vanguard333

I've been wanting a Bowser spin-off for years. Luigi gets Luigi's Mansion, Yoshi gets Yoshi's Island, Peach gets Super Princess Peach, Wario gets Wario Land and WarioWare...what about Bowser? Show him some love with his own game.

After playing Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time, I'd also be very happy to see a Dingodile spin-off.

I definitely second a Bowser game. He's barely a villain anyway so you can have a whole game about playing a ''villainous'' Bowser without any problem. Especially if Bowser faces off against other villains rather than Mario.

Though the biggest reason to even make such a spin off might also be the reason there won't be one. Its been rumored that Bowser suddenly became a mute or less important in the later Paper Mario games  because Nintendo actually didn't like him getting more and more goofy over the years. Then again Inside Story managed to pull that off just fine. 

I could get behind a Bowser game. Maybe something kinda Rampage-esque, where the primary goal is to cause as much damage to the stage as possible? Getting to kidnap princesses or other characters as Bowser could be interesting as well, like an inversion of the classic Super Mario Bros. formula.

If we're counting genre spinoffs like kart racing and parties, I'd love to see Spyro and Shantae get their own kart racers. CTRNF gave us a taste of what Spyro Racing could be like, and between the heroes, villains, and numerous NPCs and enemies, has a ton of roster potential. Many of the Realms would be great inspiration for tracks.

Meanwhile, Shantae has fantastic potential thanks not only to a colorful and zany cast of characters but also a variety of magical items that translates to kart-style powerups surprisingly well. I'm working on a topic for this particular idea as we speak.

While this wouldn't be a new spinoff per se, I'd like to see a Kirby Air Ride sequel that adds a bunch of playable racers such as Ribbon, Daroach, Susie, etc. and lets you mix-and-match riders and rides.

On the party front, I'd be interested in a proper Crash party game (Bash had a handful of minigames and no boards, Boom! Bang! is an absolute joke) and a DK party game.

Crash's objective is easy enough to figure out; gather Wumpa coins to buy Gems. Minigames can draw from stage archetypes like animal riding, boulder/monster chases, jetpack and motorcycle races, magic carpet flying, etc. I'm imagining a minigame of hot potato where players toss a TNT crate between each other in an attempt to avoid having the crate blow up on them. There can be short platformer obstacle courses that test to see who can get to the finish first. And of course there'd be boss minigames, which could allow you to unlock said bosses as playable characters. Uka Uka would be the Bowser of this game, while Aku Aku serves as his benevolent counterpart in a fashion akin to DK in some of the Mario Party titles.

A DK party likewise can play into DKC tropes like collecting banana coins with which to buy Gold/Giant Bananas and using animal buddies to open shortcuts or alternate routes. K. Rool would probably be the Bowser of this prospective party, though it could also be fun to play him. They could always introduce new characters to be the Bowser and counterpart. Perhaps each map has a boss who serves in that capacity? Come to think of it, that'd be a brilliant way to integrate bosses into the gameplay beyond being bosses, by also having them mess with the players and challenge them to sadistic minigames. Makes getting to kick their butts later all the more satisfying. Each map could also have its own shopkeeper who sells you items for coins. Banana Fairies would probably return as the vendors for Giant Bananas.

Fire Emblem Warriors 2

Featuring all the important characters we've been owed for over 4 years now.

Super Robot Warriors

Gundam, Macross, TTGL, Evangelion, Code Geass, Sakura Wars, and more in one epic musou crossover.

Final Fantasy/Dissidia Warriors

This is so obvious and so overdue.

League of Legends/Runeterra Warriors

LoL has such an incredible cast that is just begging for it.

Golden Sun Warriors

Would be such a good translation of the Persona 5 Strikers formula.

5 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Final Fantasy/Dissidia Warriors

This is so obvious and so overdue.

Ah, I should have remembered that one. Yeah, the Final Fantasy series is ripe for a Musou crossover. My main concern is that it'd just end up being Dissidia Warriors, focusing primarily on the lead heroes and villains with maybe a few extras a la NT, and end up neglecting the larger cast. My ideal roster would be a bit bigger, and probably warrant DLC expansions themed around specific games like what Hyrule Warriors had. Each playable character could have a Trance Form and a Limit Break, and be able to equip a Summon Stone to call upon mighty summons like Ifrit and Shiva. Most have unique fixed jobs, while others can access various jobs that alters their weapon choices and movesets.

A Castlevania Warriors could also be interesting. The roster could include Simon, Dracula, Death, Carmilla, Trevor, Sypha, Grant, Alucard, Richter, Maria, Reinhardt, Carrie, Actrise, Cornell, Soma, and Shanoa.

@Fabulously Olivier Why did I have a feeling that your list would be all Musou crossovers?

12 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Super Robot Warriors

Gundam, Macross, TTGL, Evangelion, Code Geass, Sakura Wars, and more in one epic musou crossover.

One good addition to this might be the anime 86 EIGHTY-SIX: it's a brand new mecha anime that's really, really good. I mean, the mechs used in it aren't humanoid mechs; they're spider mechs. But it should still work for Warriors gameplay.

If you haven't seen this show, here's a small clip of an action scene from it to show what I mean:

Spoiler

Edited by vanguard333

12 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

@Fabulously Olivier Why did I have a feeling that your list would be all Musou crossovers?

One good addition to this might be the anime 86 EIGHTY-SIX: it's a brand new mecha anime that's really, really good. I mean, the mechs used in it aren't humanoid mechs; they're spider mechs. But it should still work for Warriors gameplay.

If you haven't seen this show, here's a small clip of an action scene from it to show what I mean:

Hide contents

Because it would.

I mean, aside from hysterical things like Pokemon Party, Diablo Party, etc. Things that I want ironically.

Just now, Fabulously Olivier said:

Because it would.

I mean, aside from hysterical things like Pokemon Party, Diablo Party, etc. Things that I want ironically.

That makes sense.

By the way, what did you think of that suggestion I made in regards to your idea of a super robot warriors (the suggestion of adding 86 to that list of robot/mecha anime)?

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

That makes sense.

By the way, what did you think of that suggestion I made in regards to your idea of a super robot warriors (the suggestion of adding 86 to that list of robot/mecha anime)?

I need to watch it to have an opinion of the show. But my general opinion when asked if another mecha series should be added is yes.

1 minute ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I need to watch it to have an opinion of the show. But my general opinion when asked if another mecha series should be added is yes.

I see.

The show is really good; definitely worth watching. (See the spoiler tag below for a synopsis):

Spoiler

In the show, the republic of San Magnolia is under attack by a drone army called the Legion that was created by an empire. In response, it put its citizens in 85 districts behind a set of defensive walls and tells the citizens that they're fighting back using their own drone army, resulting in zero-casualty warfare.

There's no such thing as zero-casualty warfare.

San Magnolia's drones aren't drones; they're mechs piloted by the 86: people from minority groups within San Magnolia that got rounded up, stripped of all rights, and placed outside the walls.

It's a really good show with a great story, interesting characters, and a lot of good social commentary.

That said, I mainly brought it up because it uses spider mechs rather than human-shaped mechs and I was wondering if those would work. Then again, Age of Calamity managed to have a guardian as a DLC fighter, so a spider mech should be no problem.