Game Awards hopes and predictions

Fabulously Olivier

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BotW 2 footage would be great, as would some on Elden Ring. Although it's probably too small-profile to include at the Game Awards,  an FE announcement would be kinda neat, but I'm not holding my breath.

Aside from that, I'm hoping to get a trailer for Like a Dragon 2, or whatever they'll call it. I'm not confident that it'll happen at the Game Awards, but RGG studios do have incredibly quick turnarounds for their games.

Edited by Benice

I'd like one trailer for Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak (a showcase for one new and/or returning Monster) and news on Dragon Age 4 (it's been ages and we still have no gameplay).

Elden Ring, the new Star Ocean, FF XVI, DQ XII and maybe, just maybe, Dragon's Dogma 2.

As for Nintendo, I don't think they will showcase anything but FE or DK or anything else would be cool.

i hope for some more Elden Ring footage, but i wouldn't necessarily need it, they already have my money

as for other announcements... more info about FFXVI would be awesome, but that's it, i still have too many 2021 games i want to get first

1 hour ago, Florete said:

Silksong.

Could not care less about the actual awards.

I do find it kinda funny how nobody's even mentioned awards yet, actually.

But yeah, Silksong stuff would be really neat.

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Honestly, to me, the Game Awards is a joke, so I'm largely just hoping I get some good laughs out of it.

I think you're the only one on the htread who won't be disappointed.

Well, in terms of awards, perhaps my boy Lost Judgement can win GotY? I'm not too sure who the contenders for the prize will be this year, but it'd be nice to see an RGG game win something.

BotW2 and Spyro 4. C'mon, Crash has gotten three-and-a-half new games already, it's time for Spyro to get something new! Though a Spyro Team Racing would be fun too. CTRNF's Spyro N. Friends Grand Prix gave us a taste of what that could be like.

I did have some predictions that I want to see it happen in the Game Awards 2021 are:

1. I do hope that we can get some more Nintendo announcements this year. I hope that they don't do it again in 2019 since it did lack a single Nintendo announcement.
  2. Maybe some wins for Tales of Arise in Best RPG, some sections for Metroid Dread, Genshin Impact in Best Ongoing and Mobile Game, and WarioWare: Get it Together! for Best Family in 2021 as well.
  3. Maybe some big surprises similar to like how it was handled in The Game Awards 2020 when Sephiroth was announced for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

5 hours ago, Benice said:

I do find it kinda funny how nobody's even mentioned awards yet, actually.

I think you're the only one on the htread who won't be disappointed.

So do I. I think there's a reason for that: does anyone actually care about the awards? The only time I cared was the time Fire Emblem Three Houses won the player's voice award, because that one meant people actually voted for Fire Emblem.

Most likely.

This has been a solid year for games. And I don't think that's just coming off the bummer that was 2020. I haven't played or heard of a lot of these. Two categories I'm passionate about are RE Village for best Audio Design, and Metroid Dread for GOTY. And is it just me, or does the Best Indie nominees have something against the "love letter to retro classics" style of game? Blaster Master Zero 3, UnMetal, Cyber Shadow were all pretty good. Maybe it's because these games aren't really "about" anything in terms of narrative, but if that's the case Axiom Verge 2 and Omori are begging to be recognized as having transcended their inspirations. The latter made me cry. And heck if Kena counts as an "indie" game, then No More Heroes 3 should be in the conversation somewhere too. 

As for announcements, I'm thinking Metroid news is a possibility. Nintendo knows Game Awards plays to a mostly western crowd - and so does Metroid. If they've got a Prime 4 trailer in their back pocket, now's the time. Prove to me that game isn't in vaporware hell. 

1 hour ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I'd hope for something Crash Bandicoot and/or Spyro the Dragon, but with all the terrible things going on at Activision right now...doesn't seem too likely. Other than that, meh. Breath of the Wild 2 is about all I can think of to be eager for.

I do think The Game Awards employees would avoid showing off any announced Activision Blizzard games after the incident happened. I also do think they might avoid showing to the Crowd incase if they would make a Boo Noise when they see the Activision Blizzard logo on a trailer on it as well.

I still think more stuff from The Breath of the Wild sequel would most likely get announced along with more stuff from Bayonetta 3 in The Game Awards as well. I also do think Splatoon 3 would be shown off as well since we're getting close to 2022.

Edited by King Marth 64

12 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

So do I. I think there's a reason for that: does anyone actually care about the awards? The only time I cared was the time Fire Emblem Three Houses won the player's voice award, because that one meant people actually voted for Fire Emblem.

Most likely.

To be real, the Player's Voice is the only award that actually matters. Because it's the only one we get to decide.

If only 10% of the vote in other categories is player vote, our vote is entirely illusory.

12 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I'd hope for something Crash Bandicoot and/or Spyro the Dragon, but with all the terrible things going on at Activision right now...doesn't seem too likely. Other than that, meh. Breath of the Wild 2 is about all I can think of to be eager for.

Though not likely, they could downplay Activision-Blizzard as the publisher and emphasize the developers, assuming Beenox, Toys for Bob, and Vicarious Visions themselves are innocent. They may be subsidiaries, but they're still separate entities, far as I know.

It's frustrating because there's nothing wrong with the IPs themselves, it's the current owner who's the problem. And I want to believe the devs are just people trying to earn their paychecks and have fun while they're at it.

Edited by Lord_Brand

On 12/6/2021 at 10:40 PM, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Willing to settle for Sonic? Because that is what we are already confirmed to be getting.

Oh good. After this tweet I was expecting some much raunchier and less safe for work...

What...led to this interaction? Sega approaches Keighley, says "We want to show our movie trailer. How do you want to handle the teaser on Twitter?" Then Keighley is like tweet this at me and I'll handle the rest. 

You don't understand, We have to make Sonic more bangable.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Seriously? They're making a Sonic movie sequel? Why?

Well, here's the ling version:

The initial backlash to the first movie's trailer led to the movie getting delayed to change Sonic's design. When the movie premiered in theaters proper, people were not only less harsh on it, but it quickly became the highest-grossing film based on a video game...ever. Following the first movie's success, the sequel was announced only 3 months later. And now, fast forward to today, people are genuinely excited for the sequel's first trailer.

TL;DR Feedback actually saved the first movie and the sequel exists because of it.

36 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

Well, here's the ling version:

The initial backlash to the first movie's trailer led to the movie getting delayed to change Sonic's design. When the movie premiered in theaters proper, people were not only less harsh on it, but it quickly became the highest-grossing film based on a video game...ever. Following the first movie's success, the sequel was announced only 3 months later. And now, fast forward to today, people are genuinely excited for the sequel's first trailer.

TL;DR Feedback actually saved the first movie and the sequel exists because of it.

So, basically, because they fixed the most glaring problem, people decided to overall be a lot more forgiving toward it than they'd normally have been?

Anyway, just a quick correction: the Sonic movie is not the highest-grossing video game film: it made $319.7 million, while Pokemon: Detective Pikachu made $433.9 million.

Edited by vanguard333

3 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Seriously? They're making a Sonic movie sequel? Why?

Because money.

49 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

So, basically, because they fixed the most glaring problem, people decided to overall be a lot more forgiving toward it than they'd normally have been?

They listened to fan complaints and changed something accordingly instead of ignoring (or even insulting) them and releasing it anyway.

I'll be the first to say that doing such a thing is not always a good idea, though in this case I'd say it was definitely for the better, and it got them into the good graces of the sort of disgruntled fan who complains about companies never listening to consumers.

12 minutes ago, Florete said:

Because money.

They listened to fan complaints and changed something accordingly instead of ignoring (or even insulting) them and releasing it anyway.

I'll be the first to say that doing such a thing is not always a good idea, though in this case I'd say it was definitely for the better, and it got them into the good graces of the sort of disgruntled fan who complains about companies never listening to consumers.

I figured "because money" was probably the answer; my surprise was largely that the film made money.

Don't get me wrong; I'm normally all in favour of accepting criticism. I'm just surprised that fixing Sonic's design at the last minute was enough to get the film in people's good graces.