What new combat mechanics could Three Hopes have?

How might Three Hopes play differently to distinguish itself from FEW and what came before?

I have a few thoughts here.

Combat Arts/Spells

Combat arts and spells, equipped to the power wheel. Like Persona 5 Strikers, Samurai Warriors 5, and One Piece Pirate Warriors 4, this could be a way for characters to be distinguishable, customizable, and suitably punchy.

Adjuctants

Pair ups appear to not be a thing in this game. But setting a single adjuctant unit at the preparation screen could be a simplified way of achieving similar effects. A natural evolution of what came before.

Weapon Swaps and Proficiencies

There's a lot of ways weapon swaps could be used to make multiple movesets.

In combat vs. In prep only.

Specific character sets (ie: Edelgard can only be a knight, dark mage, or wyvern) vs. general unrestricted class customization.

Battalions

The Warriors Empires games and Bladestorm have some history with bodyguard units. I would consider this one unlikely.

9 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

It technically is a mechanic, do you all think Armor break will return? At first I though no way because of Lysithea but then again you could do it to Tiki. So think it will be back?

Kind of depends on where exactly it is on the timeline for that concern. They could also make it exclusive to post timeskip units.

13 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

It technically is a mechanic, do you all think Armor break will return? At first I though no way because of Lysithea but then again you could do it to Tiki. So think it will be back?

This is the franchise that lets you marry Nowi and Sothis. I don't think they care about propriety or western standards. But let's not get into that subject here.

Do I think it will be back? Yeah. Probably. 3H already has swimsuit/spa clothes.

8 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Do I think it will be back? Yeah. Probably. 3H already has swimsuit/spa clothes

Those jerseys are a extremely sad excuse of an outfit.

Edited by ciphertul

We've already what seems to be dismounting with Claude so I presume that's a safe bet.

I'm hoping units can use different weapons rather than be locked to one. We saw Dimitri have a sword in a cutscene and wield his lance in gameplay. If there were clone movesets but each unit had like 2 or 3 different weapon options and battle styles, that would make clones more forgivable.

Adjutants could be cool with each character having an adjutant skill maybe that helps you in battle.

Will also be interesting to see what they do with crests. They could just be part of combos or actually play a role.

So there is a thing I noticed when scouring the trailer lol

If you go to the segment with a bunch of map markers, you'll notice a few things.

For starters, there's the big ass gold map marker, with 3 smaller silver markers. These seem to signify a territory. When you look each one of them have an outlined area. 3 of them with red, one with blue. Blue being the territory the player controls, probably. Red being "enemy" territory.

There's also stuff like houses, caves, towers, keeps, etc on the map along with those markers.

The biggest things there are the fact that at the top of the screen it says "War Map: Battle of Garreg Mach" and one of the rewards for finishing the Battle for Eastern Garreg Mach fight they hover over is the reward of action points.

I think what they've done is make it to where the chapters are split up with multiple fights, with locations you have to conquer to win. Something sort of like the Empires games, or Brigandine, or Eiyuu Senki.

With the trailer showing Byleth's sword breaking in a cinematic fight, I began thinking that perhaps a variation Three Houses' version of weapon durability might appear in this game: a weapon can break, and rather than have nothing, you have a broken weapon that's a lot less useful.

However, I suspect that this would run counter to the 1 vs 1000 hack-&-slash gameplay.

9 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

With the trailer showing Byleth's sword breaking in a cinematic fight, I began thinking that perhaps a variation Three Houses' version of weapon durability might appear in this game: a weapon can break, and rather than have nothing, you have a broken weapon that's a lot less useful.

However, I suspect that this would run counter to the 1 vs 1000 hack-&-slash gameplay.

I can't think of a more counter-productive mechanic to have in a musou game, and if Breath of the Wild Warriors didn't have it, it definitely shouldn't be in this one.

25 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I can't think of a more counter-productive mechanic to have in a musou game, and if Breath of the Wild Warriors didn't have it, it definitely shouldn't be in this one.

Yeah; that's what I thought. It would be hilarious though if someone created a mod that implemented it as a joke.

Here what new mechanic it SHOULD have make characters being able to uses multiple weapons, one way or another, either as a combo change or just in the menu (this is gonna be a nightmare to build though) One of the worst thing in the original FEW was that there was one type of weapon per character, that was stupid (and let's not talk about the moveset). A part of the fun of Fire Emblem was units being able to use multiple types of weapons. 

Maybe even magic, who knows?