Moves that should exist

Lord_Brand

Certain move concepts seem like such an obvious inclusion, but for whatever reason have yet to manifest even eight generations into the series. These are my ideas for such moves, and I welcome you all to share yours as well.

• Fireball - Fireballs are probably one of the best-known fire-element attacks in all of fiction. And yet there has yet to be a Pokemon move by that name. Are they saving the name for a potential Poke Ball designed for catching Fire-Types? Who can say? But if that's the case, then they're out of luck with Ice Ball (which incidentally could be a good counterpart to Fire Ball, using Rollout's template).
  • Vine Wrap - A Grass-type variant of Wrap, Bind, etc. Or alternatively, Clamp, Sand Tomb, Fire Spin, and Whirlpool. How is it that Fire and Water both have trapping moves but Grass doesn't?
  • Elemental Horns - We have elemental punches and fangs, so why not horns? Plenty of Fire, Ice and Electric-types have horns, and there exist plenty of Normal and Poison-types who would benefit from the type variety as well. These could be either variants of Horn Attack (making them weaker than the Fangs and Punches) or counterparts to the Bug-type Megahorn (making them much stronger).
  • Dragon Horn - A Dragon-type horn attack. Could be a variant of the generic Horn Attack, a relative of the Elemental Horns, or its own move.
  • Dragon Wing - A Dragon-type counterpart to Steel Wing. Where Steel Wing raises Defense, Dragon Wing could raise Attack or Speed. If Speed, Dragon Horn could raise Attack.
  • Vampiric Bite - A Dark-type move similar in function to Leech Life or Mega Drain. Bite is currently classed as a Dark-type move, so a life-draining bite move would make sense in Dark as well.
  • Metal Blade - A Steel-type variation of Leaf Blade. (And a prime source of jokes referencing Mega Man.)
  • Steel Edge - A Steel-type equivalent of Stone Edge.
  • Magic Horn - A Fairy-type horn attack. Would have been ideal for Galarian Ponyta and Rapidash, as classical unicorns are known for using their horns to impale rather than shoot magic blasts like commonly seen today. Could be part of the Elemental Horn cycle listed above.
  • Sweet Dreams - A Fairy-type move that lulls the target to sleep and gives them pleasant dreams. The target regains all health, is cured of all status ailments, and is protected from nightmares. Can be used on a target that's already asleep, which will restore their health, remove the nightmare status, and protect them from nightmares. Sweet Dreams provides a higher catch rate bonus than regular Sleep or Freeze. The user can target either their self, an ally, or an opponent, thus making Sweet Dreams functions as a blend of Rest, sleep-inducing moves such as Spore, and Heal Pulse. This would be an excellent move for Cresselia in particular, though I could also see other Fairy-types learning this move.
Edited by Lord_Brand

Just give us another physical Fairy-type attack, Game Freak.

17 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Magic Horn - A Fairy-type horn attack. Would have been ideal for Galarian Ponyta and Rapidash, as classical unicorns are known for using their horns to impale rather than shoot magic blasts like commonly seen today. Could be part of the Elemental Horn cycle listed above.

...With wider distribution than that one. Your idea is pretty nice, though.

• Dragon Horn - A Dragon-type horn attack. Could be a variant of the generic Horn Attack, a relative of the Elemental Horns, or its own move.
  • Dragon Wing - A Dragon-type counterpart to Steel Wing. Where Steel Wing raises Defense, Dragon Wing could raise Attack or Speed. If Speed, Dragon Horn could raise Attack.

I'm a fan of attacks that increase a stat, so these are pretty nice. I'd make Dragon Wing raise Sp. Def, so it's a more clear parallel. Perhaps Dragon Horn could work like Fell Stinger, giving a big boost to Attack if it finishes off the foe?

Metal Blade - A Steel-type variation of Leaf Blade. (And a prime source of jokes referencing Mega Man.)

Pretty wild that the "Sword" moves we've gotten are both Fighting-type. Why is Honedge using a ramming attack for Steel-type damage? It barely even has a head!

Here's one: a status move that increases both Evasion and Speed. If a Pokemon is speeding up, then it makes sense that it would become more evasive, right? Maybe call it "Spark Step", and give it to a few Electric types. Electric-types tend to be speedy, yet there's no Speed-boosting status moves of that type. Go figure. Its effect would be doubled in Electric Terrain, but unusable in any other Terrain.

Here's another: a status move that sets up an "exit hazard". Like Pursuit, this would take priority over switching. When the target tries to switch out, it will lose 1/4 of its HP, even if it means fainting in the process. This includes leaving the field of battle via moves like U-Turn or Baton Pass as well. Once triggered, the effect disappears until it is reset. Let's make it a Dark-type move called "Tripwire". Select abilities (i.e. Magic Guard) and held items (i.e. Heavy-Duty Boots) would provide immunity to the effect. However, they would not stop the move from being used, or its effect from triggering on the next Pokemon sent in.

22 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Just give us another physical Fairy-type attack, Game Freak.

...With wider distribution than that one. Your idea is pretty nice, though.

I'm a fan of attacks that increase a stat, so these are pretty nice. I'd make Dragon Wing raise Sp. Def, so it's a more clear parallel. Perhaps Dragon Horn could work like Fell Stinger, giving a big boost to Attack if it finishes off the foe?

Pretty wild that the "Sword" moves we've gotten are both Fighting-type. Why is Honedge using a ramming attack for Steel-type damage? It barely even has a head!

Here's one: a status move that increases both Evasion and Speed. If a Pokemon is speeding up, then it makes sense that it would become more evasive, right? Maybe call it "Spark Step", and give it to a few Electric types. Electric-types tend to be speedy, yet there's no Speed-boosting status moves of that type. Go figure. Its effect would be doubled in Electric Terrain, but unusable in any other Terrain.

Here's another: a status move that sets up an "exit hazard". Like Pursuit, this would take priority over switching. When the target tries to switch out, it will lose 1/4 of its HP, even if it means fainting in the process. This includes leaving the field of battle via moves like U-Turn or Baton Pass as well. Once triggered, the effect disappears until it is reset. Let's make it a Dark-type move called "Tripwire". Select abilities (i.e. Magic Guard) and held items (i.e. Heavy-Duty Boots) would provide immunity to the effect. However, they would not stop the move from being used, or its effect from triggering on the next Pokemon sent in.

Thanks!

Question is, what about a wing would raise S. Defense? I chose Speed for Dragon Wing because a wing is used for mobility (though you did just give me an idea for a Dragon Scales move that raises Defense and Special Defense, similar to Cosmic Power). I could see a Fairy Wing or Angel Wing (whatever type that would be) raising Sp. Defense, though. Heck, maybe go further and have a Dark Wing that raises, I dunno, Attack or Evasion?

Speed and Evasion could easily be connected, but Evasion isn't purely a matter of movement, it's also a matter of reflexes. You have creatures that move fast but might not be as fast at reacting. That said, I could see, say, "Lightning Reflexes" being a move that fits your parameters.

I got one for the "exit hazard": Brambles. A Grass-type trap that damages upon entry and upon leaving.

I'd also like to see a Dragon Jump that's basically Bounce or Fly but Dragon-type.

On 7/7/2022 at 9:52 PM, Lord_Brand said:

I could see a Fairy Wing or Angel Wing (whatever type that would be) raising Sp. Defense, though.

Basically that. If "Steel = Defense" can be justified intuitively, then so can "Fairy = Special Defense".

Speed and Evasion could easily be connected, but Evasion isn't purely a matter of movement, it's also a matter of reflexes. You have creatures that move fast but might not be as fast at reacting. That said, I could see, say, "Lightning Reflexes" being a move that fits your parameters.

Ooh, "Lightning Reflexes" is a great name. Still, I kind of disagree with your distinction. Even with a perfect reaction time, a very slow Mon isn't going to be able to avoid attacks. Even if they know an attack is coming, they won't be able to get out of the way in time. Conversely, a speedy target is harder to hit than a slow-moving one, even if it doesn't have the agency to "react" to anything. Maybe Game Freak just views "boosts Speed and Evasion" as overpowered?

I got one for the "exit hazard": Brambles. A Grass-type trap that damages upon entry and upon leaving.

I like the idea of a Grass-type one. Would it do fixed damage, or would it be type-sensitive (a la Stealth Rock)?

I'd also like to see a Dragon Jump that's basically Bounce or Fly but Dragon-type.

Are there any jumping-oriented Dragon-types, though? Like, Dragon Hammer made some sense with Alolan Exeggutor's design, but this seems kind of out-there. Plus, Flying is usually a better offensive type than Dragon, so I can't see many Mons who get "Dragon Jump", yet can also learn Fly, choosing it over the latter.

Anyway, one more: Inverse Room. This has been an obvious pick since X and Y introduced Inverse Battles, yet left them remarkably limited in presence. For four turns after use, this status move would invert all type matchups. Flying is super-effective against Electric! Water is not very effective against Fire! And so on. Abilities (i.e. Levitate, Thick Fat) would still work as usual, though. Could give this move to Mons who already learn Trick Room, and the other "Rooms" that nobody ever bothers with.

4 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Ooh, "Lightning Reflexes" is a great name. Still, I kind of disagree with your distinction. Even with a perfect reaction time, a very slow Mon isn't going to be able to avoid attacks. Even if they know an attack is coming, they won't be able to get out of the way in time. Conversely, a speedy target is harder to hit than a slow-moving one, even if it doesn't have the agency to "react" to anything. Maybe Game Freak just views "boosts Speed and Evasion" as overpowered?

The funny thing is that though they can be easily connected flavorwise, Speed is more offense-focused as having higher speed means getting to move first while Evasion is defensive as it serves to help your Pokemon avoid damage.

I like the idea of a Grass-type one. Would it do fixed damage, or would it be type-sensitive (a la Stealth Rock)?

Probably type-sensitive.

Are there any jumping-oriented Dragon-types, though? Like, Dragon Hammer made some sense with Alolan Exeggutor's design, but this seems kind of out-there. Plus, Flying is usually a better offensive type than Dragon, so I can't see many Mons who get "Dragon Jump", yet can also learn Fly, choosing it over the latter.

You have a point, though they could always design Dragon-types with a more agile appearance. But then they'd probably just want Bounce.

Anyway, one more: Inverse Room. This has been an obvious pick since X and Y introduced Inverse Battles, yet left them remarkably limited in presence. For four turns after use, this status move would invert all type matchups. Flying is super-effective against Electric! Water is not very effective against Fire! And so on. Abilities (i.e. Levitate, Thick Fat) would still work as usual, though. Could give this move to Mons who already learn Trick Room, and the other "Rooms" that nobody ever bothers with.

I could see it.

One my bro pointed out is a 2-5 multi-hit Fighting-type punch move. Kinda raises the question why Comet Punch wasn't Fighting-type.

4 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

One my bro pointed out is a 2-5 multi-hit Fighting-type punch move. Kinda raises the question why Comet Punch wasn't Fighting-type.

Arm Thrust exists. It's just very weak, and not on many Pokemon. And all the Mons that get it also receive a better Fighting-type option.

I wouldn't mind seeing Comet Punch retconned to Steel-type (a la Bullet Punch, or Meteor Mash), since there's no multi-hit move of that type. My radical take? Make Double-Slap a Fairy-type move. Prominent users include Clefairy, Jigglypuff, and Mime Jr - all fairies. Plus, it would fill the elusive "physical Fairy-type attack" niche.

4 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Probably type-sensitive.

That'd be nice, considering that many Stealth Rock resisters (i.e. Ground-types) would take higher damage from Brambles, while those weak to Rocks (i.e. Bug, Fire, Flying-types) would take reduced damage. Steel resists both, unfortunately, but that's nothing new.

• 2 weeks later...

If HMs coming back ever becomes a thing (And I really hope not!), I'd like to see that Cut, Strength, and Rock Climb are at least re-typed. Say, Steel, Rock or Fighting, Rock or Ground respectively. At least give them some use as supereffective moves, whether STAB or type-counters. Surf since the beginning of time and Waterfall since Gen 4 are more tolerated for that reason. Flash, if it ever returns as an HM, should at least be buffed to reduce an opponent's speed and/or evasion for the next 1-3 turns.

I also like Brambles too. Let's face it, water-types have been long reigned supreme. Grass types can get countered by Ice-type moves and Electric types are neither exactly great in defending nor resist Water-type moves.

Edited by henrymidfields

On 7/20/2022 at 10:02 AM, henrymidfields said:

If HMs coming back ever becomes a thing (And I really hope not!), I'd like to see that Cut, Strength, and Rock Climb are at least re-typed. Say, Steel, Rock or Fighting, Rock or Ground respectively. At least give them some use as supereffective moves, whether STAB or type-counters. Surf since the beginning of time and Waterfall since Gen 4 are more tolerated for that reason. Flash, if it ever returns as an HM, should at least be buffed to reduce an opponent's speed and/or evasion for the next 1-3 turns.

I think Flash is fine. It can be great in the main game for crippling a foe whom you proceed to set up on. If you wanna buff it, changing it to "sharply lowers accuracy" would probably be the way to go.

As for Cut, maybe have Fury Cutter take over its role? As a Bug-type move, it makes sense that it would be useful for chopping down (Grass-type) trees. Plus, it can actually become very powerful.

A Rock-type Strength (Bouldershove?) would be very welcome. There are practically zero 100-accuracy physical Rock-type moves. It could even see some competitive use.

Rock Climb... what if it became a status move? Say, one that causes the user's Accuracy and Evasion to both go up a stage (or "climb", I should say). Makes sense that a Mon in a high position would have a clear line of sight to the target. And all that climbing could increase its dodginess, too.

On 7/20/2022 at 10:02 AM, henrymidfields said:

I also like Brambles too. Let's face it, water-types have been long reigned supreme. Grass types can get countered by Ice-type moves and Electric types are neither exactly great in defending nor resist Water-type moves.

Water is a good type, yes, but I'd hardly call it "supreme" (at least in a competitive context). The best defensive type is Steel, followed by Fairy. Poison, Fire, and Ghost are all pretty good, too. As for offenses, Ice, Rock, Ground, and Fighting are really the premier options. Water sits around the middle of the pack on both sides, although it's a more defensive than offensive type.

15 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

As for Cut, maybe have Fury Cutter take over its role? As a Bug-type move, it makes sense that it would be useful for chopping down (Grass-type) trees. Plus, it can actually become very powerful.

Now that you mentioned it, maybe assign HM cut functions to any moves that is similar? Such as your Fury Cutter, Slash, Psycho Cut, Air Cutter etc?
HM Rock smash function could be the namesake move itself, or Karate Chop, any of the Fighting-type punch moves etc?
Surf could be an HM ability for most water Pokemon and a HM move for anyone else that learns them.

15 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

A Rock-type Strength (Bouldershove?) would be very welcome. There are practically zero 100-accuracy physical Rock-type moves. It could even see some competitive use.

I kind of had the impression that Rock-type moves in general are less than perfect in accuracy, but never actually knew that.

• 1 month later...

A physical Fairy-type slashing attack, something like say "Fairy Sword." With how popular swords are in old folklore it seems like a natural choice to broaden the physical pool for fairies.

Also a physical Electric-type whipping move, "Wire Whip" maybe? Live wires are a thing and electricity has been associated with whips or tendrils when they're involved in elemental attacks.

Edited by X-Naut

Good suggestions! How about "Enchanted Blade" and "Livewire Lash"? I think a Dark-type whip attack could also work quite well. Can have the ability to flinch the target.

A Dark-type binding move would make sense, given how much Dark loves to fight dirty. Actually, I can think of a few binding moves that would make sense:

• Biting Bonds - Dark; the target is tightly bound in dark ropes or tendrils that dig in to their body for 2-5 turns.
  • Squeeze Hold - Fighting; the user grips the target in a crushing embrace that prevents either from switching out or escaping for 2-5 turns.
  • Granite Grip - Rock; the user grips and crushes the target with its stony body for 2-5 turns, with a chance to lower the target's Defense each turn.
  • Wire Wrap - Electric; the target is bound in electric cables or wires that administer a shock for 2-5 turns, with a chance to Paralyze the target each turn.

I can also think of some trapping moves, as in moves that prevent switching out indefinitely.

• Heavy Chains - Steel; the target is wrapped in heavy chains that reduces the target's Speed and prevents them from switching out, escaping, or using Fly or Bounce. Similar to Anchor Shot, but not necessarily restricted to Dhelmise.
  • Sticky Ooze - Poison; the target is stuck in place with a sticky, toxic ooze that poisons them and prevents them from escaping, switching out, or using Fly or Bounce
  • Adoring Embrace - Fairy; the user hugs the target tightly enough to deal damage, and prevents them from escaping or switching out for three turns. The move can't actually faint the target, however. If the user is Attracted to the target, the move deals double damage, prevents escape for five turns, and won't fail due to Attract.

Edited by Lord_Brand

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 6:31 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

They need to create a variant of the line with removable pommels so they can throw them at their foes and end them rightly. :P

Thinking about it, it would make sense if Fireball or Fire Ball was a Fire-type equivalent to Shadow Ball and Energy Ball. Fire-type attack with power 80 or 90, can lower Special Defense by one stage.

Edited by Lord_Brand

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/9/2022 at 8:40 AM, Lord_Brand said:

Thinking about it, it would make sense if Fireball or Fire Ball was a Fire-type equivalent to Shadow Ball and Energy Ball. Fire-type attack with power 80 or 90, can lower Special Defense by one stage.

Wouldn't that be kind of redundant though? When there's already Flamethrower that is also Special with similar BP?

On 11/5/2022 at 4:19 PM, Lord_Brand said:

Flamethrower inflicts burn, not Sp. Def reduction. It's kinda like saying Psybeam's redundant with Psychic around.

In a competitive sense, Psychic does essentially render Psybeam redundant. Psychic is just more powerful, and the higher PP plus chance of Confusion doesn't make up for the damage difference.

In a "main game" sense, Psybeam maintains a useful role as a "mid-power" Psychic-type move - stronger than Confusion, weaker than Psychic - for Mons to get in their teens or twenties. In some contexts, there's a case for keeping it in addition to (or instead of) Psychic, as its higher PP may come in handy. 

On 10/8/2022 at 5:40 PM, Lord_Brand said:

Flamethrower, Heat Wave, Mystical Fire... we already have quite a few widely-available Fire-type special attacks with a power in this neighborhood. While a Special Defense drop certainly isn't bad, it's usually a less impactful effect than a Burn (since switching out erases stat drops, but not status conditions). And you'd have to be worried about the occasional opposing Mon with the Bulletproof ability. So this move could see some use, but I wouldn't imagine it used often over Flamethrower, on Mons who have access to both.

Here's an interesting proposal - a multi-hit Fire-type special attack. Say with 20 BP per hit, 90 accuracy, and a 10% chance of a Special Defense drop per hit. Call it something like Volcanic Volley. This could be a neat "high-risk, high-reward" option that stands out as the first Fire-type multi-strike move. Especially if a Mon with Technician or Skill Link gets access to it.

I'm talking about a move literally called Fire Ball. It's the most iconic kind of fire attack in the public imagination, yet Pokemon has never featured a move by that name despite adapting the similarly iconic Thunderbolt from day one. Eight generations and there's still no Fire Ball attack. It's baffling.

Flamethrower and Heat Wave are actually burning moves themselves, and the latter is basically a tweak on the former save for double and triple battles where it has the distinction of hitting multiple targets (and also is associated with Pokemon who are either Fire-type or fly, owing to the Japanese name: Hot Wind). Mystical Fire lowers Sp. Attack rather than Sp. Defense. So, there really isn't a true Fire-type equivalent to Shadow Ball thus far, making Fire Ball the perfect candidate for one.

That said, a Fire-type multi-hit does sound novel, though I'm inclined to simply call it "Rapid Fire", for a similar flavor as Bullet Seed. Volcanic Volley makes me think of some kind of lava catapult.

On 11/9/2022 at 1:41 AM, Lord_Brand said:

I'm talking about a move literally called Fire Ball. It's the most iconic kind of fire attack in the public imagination, yet Pokemon has never featured a move by that name despite adapting the similarly iconic Thunderbolt from day one. Eight generations and there's still no Fire Ball attack. It's baffling.

I guess I don't see the particular value of having a move named "Fire Ball". Like, there's no Flying-type "Tornado", or Water-type "Tsunami", or Fighting-type "Jab". There are a lot of names that could be used for moves, but haven't been yet. My question for adding any such move, though, would be "does it do anything mechanically unique?" Speaking of which...

Solar Spray. Water-type, Special, 60 BP, 100 Acc, 20 PP. This attack receives reversed effects from weather, falling to 30 BP in Rain, but jumping up 90 BP in Sun. Example Mons: Castform, Volcanion, Sunflora, Heliolisk.

Fiery Rain. Fire-type, Special, 60 BP, 100 Acc, 20 PP. This attack receives reversed effects from weather, falling to 30 BP in Sun, but jumping to 90 BP in Rain. Example Mons: Casform, Volcarona, Lumineon, Thundurus.

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I guess I don't see the particular value of having a move named "Fire Ball". Like, there's no Flying-type "Tornado", or Water-type "Tsunami", or Fighting-type "Jab". There are a lot of names that could be used for moves, but haven't been yet. My question for adding any such move, though, would be "does it do anything mechanically unique?" Speaking of which...

Solar Spray. Water-type, Special, 60 BP, 100 Acc, 20 PP. This attack receives reversed effects from weather, falling to 30 BP in Rain, but jumping up 90 BP in Sun. Example Mons: Castform, Volcanion, Sunflora, Heliolisk.

Fiery Rain. Fire-type, Special, 60 BP, 100 Acc, 20 PP. This attack receives reversed effects from weather, falling to 30 BP in Sun, but jumping to 90 BP in Rain. Example Mons: Casform, Volcarona, Lumineon, Thundurus.

I'm cool with those becoming moves, incidentally. In fact, you make me want to brainstorm designs for them here and now.

• Tornado - Flying, Special, 100 BP, 100 Acc, 10 PP. Can hit Pokemon in the semi-invulnerable phase of Fly, Bounce, and Sky Drop, and if it does, will deal double damage to those Pokemon. In team battles, hits all adjacent Pokemon.
  • Tsunami - Water, Special, 70 BP, 100 Acc, 10 PP. On the turn this move is used, an earthquake occurs, dealing Ground-type damage to all adjacent Pokemon (70 BP) and hitting Pokemon in the semi-invulnerable phase of Dig. On the second turn, a wave of water strikes the field, hitting Pokemon in the semi-invulnerable phase of Dive.
  • Punch - Fighting, Physical, 40 BP, 100 Acc, 35 PP.

Tornado as a Flying-type counterpart to Earthquake is so genius, I'm amazed it hasn't been done already. Tsunami could be a tweaked Surf, but I kinda like the idea of paying homage to the connection between earthquakes and tsunamis in real life, thus Tsunami could be a two-phase attack with the first phase being Ground-type and basically a weaker Earthquake while the second phase is a weaker Surf. I'd rename "Jab" to "Punch" and have it be the basic vanilla Fighting-type move.

Moves that invert the effects of weather are novel. I could see that working for Legendaries in particular.

A long time ago, I came up with a Ghost-type counterpart to Tri Attack that would make use of the other three most common status effects:

• Tri Terror - Ghost, Special, 80 BP, 100 Acc, 10 PP. Three spirits attack the target and have a chance to inflict confusion, poison, or sleep on them.

A recent move category that I came up with is a series of "type addition" moves that add their respective type to the target's next move. This is similar to Electrify, but rather than replace the move's type, it adds the type to that move, making it effectively dual-type. This can be useful for both offense and defense; an incoming attack can be granted a type to which the user is resistant or immune, or in a team battle, the user can target their ally to make their next attack more effective against one or more of their opponents.

• 10 months later...
On 11/10/2022 at 3:17 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Waiting on my royalty check, GameFreak.

On 11/10/2022 at 9:17 PM, Lord_Brand said:

Tri Terror - Ghost, Special, 80 BP, 100 Acc, 10 PP. Three spirits attack the target and have a chance to inflict confusion, poison, or sleep on them

Never responded, but this could be really cool! Definitely appreciate it as a counterpart to Tri Attack, with even the status effects switching over. Although, I'd consider something like "Triple Trauma" for it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2023 at 4:54 AM, Lord_Brand said:

How about "Triple Terror"? Of course, the move's type would mean it's SE against Ghost and Psychic, which gives it an edge over Tri Attack.

That works too! The one risk is, GameFreak seems reluctant to have damaging moves that cause Sleep. The only one I can think of is Relic Song, exclusive to Meloetta. That said, I don't think a "1 in 15 chance" is all that OP.

On 11/10/2022 at 6:17 PM, Lord_Brand said:
  • Tri Terror - Ghost, Special, 80 BP, 100 Acc, 10 PP. Three spirits attack the target and have a chance to inflict confusion, poison, or sleep on them.
8 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

The one risk is, GameFreak seems reluctant to have damaging moves that cause Sleep. The only one I can think of is Relic Song, exclusive to Meloetta. That said, I don't think a "1 in 15 chance" is all that OP.

From a competitive standpoint, it definitely would be. Not only for the 100% accurate damaging move sleep chance, but also because one of the other conditions is Confusion, which both is not mutually exclusive with Sleep, and assists in allowing for players to fish for more chances for Sleep to apply. Kyurem got banned in during SwSh OU in part for a 10% Freeze chance on an extremely spammable Freeze Dry, which compounded other things.

Relic Song is only a 10% chance, only 75 BP, exclusive to 1 Pokemon (who doesn't even want to spam it bc it swaps it's Atk and Spatk), and is Normal Type meaning it's not inherently offensively threatening either. Ghost is much more spammable of a type since offensively it's resisted by much less, as well as the higher BP on this move.

That said, I do like the idea, and given it's Ghost type, it could maybe use some more niche effects like Torment, Embargo or Disable (and Confusion would still be fine).
Honestly, I've wanted damaging moves that apply Torment or Embargo for a while now, they're very cool effects but it's hard to justify running a whole slot for them unless it's for a specific matchup. Taunt too. Hell, we've got a Heal Block damaging move coming in DLC2 (which is a good replacement for. the move being removed, lmao).

2 hours ago, Emerson said:

Honestly, I've wanted damaging moves that apply Torment or Embargo for a while now, they're very cool effects but it's hard to justify running a whole slot for them unless it's for a specific matchup. Taunt too. Hell, we've got a Heal Block damaging move coming in DLC2 (which is a good replacement for. the move being removed, lmao).

Those would all be cool. Heal Block was always too weak to justify a moveslot, but as a secondary effect, it could work. Here's another idea - what if some of these effects were tied to items? Say, a literal "Heal Block", or a "Torment Tag". That could combine with Trick to really torment (heh) opposing Mons.

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
Typo.