The Game Boy

General Spoon

Ah yes one of Nintendo's infamous bricks in the sense you can drop them and they'll still work fine...the Gamecube is also a brick...though mainly becuase its inards are highly concentrated

Of course these days as far as electornics go the screens are too sensitive and if you have a hinge and it falls in a certain way, you've got no hope. Though on the flipside at least the LCD screens are good and the backlights work. Back in the Gameboys days Backlights were unreliable (seriously, great that the Game Gear has one...now find me one that still works?) and LCD screens were not great either.

Also, that isn't even touching on the fun of contrast dial and the motion blur as soon as anything moves. Seriously, try playing the original Pokemon and get on the bike...it is hard to make anything out :( All in all good times though.

To start us off, this is a Game Boy damaged in the Gulf War. It still works.

Whoa....

Nintendo was known for having long-lasting hardware. I still have my working N64 for over half of my whole life (if you're wondering what that is, 11 years and it still works).

Edited by Black Luster Soldier

The American Super Nintendo seemed the most fragile of all the Nintendo systems (omitting things like the VirtualBoy) :( That thing is damn easy to break into, almost as easy as a glass ornament (structural integrity is existent in only certain areas, really).

None of my consoles are really damaged. Worst that happened is yellowing and dirt/stains in certain older systems that really just set around :E

The American Super Nintendo seemed the most fragile of all the Nintendo systems (omitting things like the VirtualBoy) :(

DS Lite would like to have a word with you. (I'm looking at you, you damn shoulder buttons, hinge, don't think I've forgotten about you either)

Slightly off-topic, didn't Nintendo only stop repairing NESes a year or two ago? And then its only because of a lack of parts.

Edited by General Spoon

I didn't try to include shittly constructed consoles like the DS systems :(

I know the Famicom was discontinued a little while ago, after, if memory serves, their policy declared it too old to bother with support. I'm sure the NES had something similar, but died far quicker :/

I know a guy who dropped a DS down a flight of metal stairs and the DS only got a slight dent. But to think a Game Boy suvived the Gulf War? Wow, Nintendo definitely builds their things to be durable... :blink:

Edited by Herr Wozzeck

I saw the Gulf War Game Boy quite a long time ago. Pretty impressive, I suppose. The original Game Boy was my one of favorite video game systems. I used to play it for hours after my bedtime when I was a kid. Those were some fun times.

Nintendo build tough systems i'll show a vid later

Is it the PS2 Gamecube and Xbox dorpped off the buliding or the PS3 Wii and Xbox360 beaten up my some strong men :P

I saw the Gulf War Game Boy quite a long time ago. Pretty impressive, I suppose. The original Game Boy was my one of favorite video game systems. I used to play it for hours after my bedtime when I was a kid. Those were some fun times.

I used to play it when I couldn't sleep...I should have chosen Dr.Mario if I wanted to cure insomnia...not Motorcross Madness (kind of similar to excitebike except with courses more like a platformer...multiple levels, loop the loops).

Iloved my 8-in-1 pirate cartridge and years later trying to work out what half the games were on it (due to being Japanese versions). I foundly remember this example:

whatgame.jpg

In case anyone wants to know it is Serpent (Japanese name reads: "Kakomun Hebi")

Edited by Starwolf_UK

I know a guy who dropped a DS down a flight of metal stairs and the DS only got a slight dent. But to think a Game Boy suvived the Gulf War? Wow, Nintendo definitely builds their things to be durable... :blink:

It's called The Brick for a reason. I've also heard stories of it being run over (by a car) and working. And I've heard somewhere that one was dropped in water and came out fine.

Is it the PS2 Gamecube and Xbox dorpped off the buliding or the PS3 Wii and Xbox360 beaten up my some strong men :P

Both those were awesome. although ps3 Xbox360 and wii one were kind of unfair.

My first Game Boy was the Game Boy Colour. It was a turquoise colour... I had it only to play Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow.

Me TWO!

I still have it actually, I can't get rid of it, sentimental value lol

My Gameboy Color was a worthless piece of crap. All I had to do was tap it and it would erase all data in the game I was currently playing. I wrapped it in a huge beach towel and dropped it about 1 foot and it erased my file in Pokemon Silver.

My sister and cousin's Gameboys, however, were invulnerable. My cousin chucked his across my pop up camper while it was still on, and it hit a seat and flew onto the floor. The thing was still totally fine. And my sister placed hers on the top shelf of a 6.5 ft. high bookshelf and it fell off and was completely fine.

It's called The Brick for a reason. I've also heard stories of it being run over (by a car) and working. And I've heard somewhere that one was dropped in water and came out fine.

Really? :o

Yeah, I honestly give up. Watch somebody try to crush this thing with an anvil... :P

I accidently left my Gameboy SP in my pants pocket when it got washed. When I finally found it, I expect it not to work, but it still does! It just can't play any sounds. :x

It actually isn't as unusual for electronics to survive being submerged in water as some of you might think. They can survive as long as the power isn't on while wet. My MP3 player survived several watery encounters and it definitely isn't a "brick".