I miss that feeling

I miss being able to sit down, play a videogame, and feel like I'm going on an adventure. I don't have that anymore. Where did it go? I struggle so much to just do that: Sit down and play. I think so much internet fucked up my dopamine receptors, so I struggle to even do that (and let alone things like reading manga).

And it's not even like I don't want to, it's just that I've been doing this crap for years, and it's not like there's any real enjoyment. Addiction isn't enjoyment, it's just the illusion of it- and time flies by, anyway, and you realise you just waste day after day on stuff you probably don't even care about.

The Zelda games were that to me. When I was 11, I would wake up at 6 am on Summer just to play Twilight Princess... for only an hour, because that's all my mother allowed back then. And I fucking loved it. I would also get sucked into an adventure like The Minish Cap, which was only a GBA game, but it still managed to create that magical atmosphere for me.

012d34f3fdf5f5e98b3c66d3e0ccbbc24c706fae

Literally my life.

14 hours ago, ♠Soul♠ said:

I miss being able to sit down, play a videogame, and feel like I'm going on an adventure. I don't have that anymore. Where did it go?

Its called growing up.

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'Rads @FeelingEuphoric [the creation of nostalgia] GOD: ok give the children all the happy feelings ANGEL: okay GOD: now as they age don't let them recreate those feelings ANGEL: uh- GOD: make them hyper aware that they once had something they'l never have again ANGEL: dude what is your problem'

For me, a game is still sometimes a nostalgia trip, a way of looking back on things and reflecting on my experiences (the game is like a funny mirror and I don't always look fat). Not only do I look back, but I get a perspective I didn't see before, or I think I see a connection between games or books or whatever that suggests togetherness. It's often refreshing in some way. Maybe when I experience nostalgia, I feel glad that my life has changed somewhat from what it was before. I definitely don't think that as a child I had all the happy feelings (please don't focus too much on the fact that my avatar is a picture of a child). Maybe if you find a way to get some new experiences, it'll breathe life back into things you used to like doing, too. However, in the past, I remember you saying you don't want to get a job or something? That's mostly  what I do besides recreation on my own or with my family, so I don't know what to suggest for you (and I know a job can be a bad fit). If you really do think you're addicted, maybe you should seek professional help if the advice ppl give on here, which you say is generally good, hasn't been helping much. Even though I do a lot of gaming (about 40 hrs this biweekly period), I still get plenty of enjoyment out of it. Maybe I'm not quite right about that though - sometimes it's just calmness or contentment from the contemplation, not joy or happiness.

Also, what you said about having trouble to bring up the energy to play games, sometimes I feel that way too, but that usually means I take a nap or something, and during that nap I usually feel good.

Reg meme: I spent a lot on my cpu tower but for whatever reason I'm still using this mediocre TV monitor for visuals and audio that I've had for like 10 years.

Edited by Original Johan Liebert

On 7/19/2022 at 7:37 PM, ♠Soul♠ said:

I miss being able to sit down, play a videogame, and feel like I'm going on an adventure. I don't have that anymore. Where did it go? I struggle so much to just do that: Sit down and play. I think so much internet fucked up my dopamine receptors, so I struggle to even do that (and let alone things like reading manga).

And it's not even like I don't want to, it's just that I've been doing this crap for years, and it's not like there's any real enjoyment. Addiction isn't enjoyment, it's just the illusion of it- and time flies by, anyway, and you realise you just waste day after day on stuff you probably don't even care about.

The Zelda games were that to me. When I was 11, I would wake up at 6 am on Summer just to play Twilight Princess... for only an hour, because that's all my mother allowed back then. And I fucking loved it. I would also get sucked into an adventure like The Minish Cap, which was only a GBA game, but it still managed to create that magical atmosphere for me.

012d34f3fdf5f5e98b3c66d3e0ccbbc24c706fae

Literally my life.

Try a different game or series maybe?

Or have ya?

18 hours ago, Original Johan Liebert said:

Maybe if you find a way to get some new experiences, it'll breathe life back into things you used to like doing, too. However, in the past, I remember you saying you don't want to get a job or something?

Oh yeah, you should definitely get a job and try new things. You're never going to find joy as an adult just trying to be a kid again. As a kid, you probably weren't thinking about how much better your infancy was, you were engaging with childhood. As an adult, you should engage with adulthood. Enjoy the fact that you are in a more capable form.

On 7/19/2022 at 7:37 PM, ♠Soul♠ said:

Literally my life.

I was gonna ping you but I don't know how to type that spade symbol.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sounds like you’re just burned out… maybe just take a break from it. There isn’t anything forcing you to play games if your not enjoying them anymore. When I get burn out I’ll catch up on tv shows, films, music or whatever for a while. Just try and find something else you enjoy and do that, video games aren’t compulsory and won’t go anywhere.

____

https://apix-drive.com/en/wise

Edited by Buran