If the Tellius games got remade, would you like to see Jason Adkins return as Ike?

DarkSage861

Even though the rumors of a potential Tellius remake has died out for some time now, I still think a good topic would be to wonder if you guys would like to see Jason Adkins return for his role as Ike. Personally I'd like to see him come back, I know people are very mixed with him (this is mostly due to his performance in Fates which wasn't bad either, it was likely cuz it's been a while since he has done the role) but I was always fond with how he would voice him, especially since he's the 2nd longest Nintendo VA to voice a character since Charles Martinet himself. According to his Twitter, he was let go due to online backlash of his performance of Fates which really sucks to lose a job that you have been doing for over a decade

Don't get me wrong, Greg Chun does ok as Lukas and Ephiram but his type of voice doesn't suit Ike and I'm still not used to it in Heroes or Smash Ultimate, if a Tellius remake would turn out to be true, the best way to go in my honest opinion is bring back your long time actor who basically started the whole Fire Emblem having voice acting, it's been time since we last heard of him and I'd like to see him back again.

But that's enough about my thoughts, what do you guys think?

I'm conflicted. On one hand, I wish he'd never been recast at all; I do like Adkins' Ike, as it gave him a unique sound, whereas Greg Chun kinda sounds the same in every role he does (at least in FE). But I also like to keep actor consistency across projects. For example, as much as I prefer Laura Bailey's Lucina to Alexis Tipton's, Bailey is union-only, so if they're not going to get her for every Lucina, I'd rather they just cut her from the character entirely and stick with Tipton. And I'd want it to be the same for Ike.

I'm inclined to say no because of his performance in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and 4*, but I should to be open to giving the guy a second chance since I don't mind it that much in the actual FE games he's appeared in.

*I don't know why, but I always found his "usual" Up-B voice clip grating for some reason, so much so that I would always turn the voices/sound off when I knew he was going to be in a match whenever possible, or only have him in Metal Battles and it briefly impacted my opinion on the character as a whole since that was my first introduction. Once Fates and Heroes came along, I was able to get to know him better. Ike's amiibo was even the only one I transferred from Smash 4 to Ultimate as of yet. It's the same problem I have with Fox in Smash 4 and Lucas, only it's their Star KO and Lucas's "occasional" KO voice clip.

I definitely wouldn't be opposed to it. It'd be like getting to hear Robert Belgrade voice Alucard in Castlevania again. I mean, that ship has long since sailed away, but he did voice a character in Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, which was super neat. Obviously, Belgrade wasn't voicing Alucard again, but getting to hear his voice again at all was satisfying. So if anything, I'd like to hear Jason Adkins return to the series in some form or another, even if it isn't as Ike.

My own personal preference would be for them to treat the casting of Ike as a blank slate.  So, not necessarily either Adkins or Chun, just whoever would bring the most to the role for that one project. I tend to treat individual works as their own thing, so don't really care about consistency from one work to another. It's more important for direct sequels, but if it's just a reimagining of the same character, then having the voice changed up doesn't bother me at all.

If there is a remake, it will likely have full voice acting at this point, which means that it will probably have more voiced lines by Ike than all previous appearances combined. I would like to have a voice that is right for this particular manifestation of Ike, rather than one that was right for some previous manifestation.

3 hours ago, lenticular said:

My own personal preference would be for them to treat the casting of Ike as a blank slate.  So, not necessarily either Adkins or Chun, just whoever would bring the most to the role for that one project. I tend to treat individual works as their own thing, so don't really care about consistency from one work to another. It's more important for direct sequels, but if it's just a reimagining of the same character, then having the voice changed up doesn't bother me at all.

If there is a remake, it will likely have full voice acting at this point, which means that it will probably have more voiced lines by Ike than all previous appearances combined. I would like to have a voice that is right for this particular manifestation of Ike, rather than one that was right for some previous manifestation.

This is more or less how I feel.

If a character has already been fully voiced with lots of dialog then I find re-casting them a bit odd. It'd be pretty strange if Three Hopes had re-cast the major cast members, so I'm glad it didn't. But for cases like Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn, where the voice work was limited to a few videos, or Smash Brothers, where it's just a few barks and victory quotes, or honestly even Heroes, I don't find re-casting to be a big deal.

18 hours ago, Florete said:

I'm conflicted. On one hand, I wish he'd never been recast at all; I do like Adkins' Ike, as it gave him a unique sound, whereas Greg Chun kinda sounds the same in every role he does (at least in FE). But I also like to keep actor consistency across projects. For example, as much as I prefer Laura Bailey's Lucina to Alexis Tipton's, Bailey is union-only, so if they're not going to get her for every Lucina, I'd rather they just cut her from the character entirely and stick with Tipton. And I'd want it to be the same for Ike.

If I recall correctly, Bailey no longer does anime/japanese video game voiceovers in general as she left her other roles like Chun Li, Kid Trunks and Platinum The Trinity 

46 minutes ago, DarkSage861 said:

If I recall correctly, Bailey no longer does anime/japanese video game voiceovers in general as she left her other roles like Chun Li, Kid Trunks and Platinum The Trinity 

I don't think it has anything to do with anime/Japanese, those companies just don't hire union-only actors.

1 minute ago, Florete said:

I don't think it has anything to do with anime/Japanese, those companies just don't hire union-only actors.

I suppose that makes sense, but therein lies the question about most actors from Awakening and beyond since I'm positive most of them are union actors 

Just now, DarkSage861 said:

I suppose that makes sense, but therein lies the question about most actors from Awakening and beyond since I'm positive most of them are union actors 

I don't know all the details of how it works, but I know some actors are part of the union but also take non-union work.

• 2 months later...

I think the only real issue was the voice direction in the Tellius games.  Lani Minella's Mia sounded awkward AF in Radiant Dawn, but pretty decent in Heroes.  And personally, I think Jason Adkins did a pretty good job as Ike in Smash.  So if the voice directer doesn't suck at their job, I wouldn't mind him coming back.