Feeling stuck at a dead-end office job; should I join the US military?

MoistGrapes

Graduated last year with a BA in Economics but I didn't feel like I gotten anything out of my degree since I took all my major courses during the pandemic and didn't learn much or receive any valuable experience from online courses. I was initially an Accounting student but swapped majors because I found Economics more interesting to learn about though I ended up feeling apathetic with the material though brief depression and the lack of a physical classroom in the latter half of my schooling may have contributed to that.

Was employed at a mortgage company through a temp agency shortly after graduating. At my job I am tasked with basic office tasks including drafting letters to the customers, doing the mail and updating spreadsheets. All of this feels low skill and low stress at a surprisingly decent pay yet I see very little room for growth as the vast majority of the temps in our office do not become full timers; many of them (including myself) have been with the company for 1-2 years and carry the same responsibilities we did in our starting months.

I would've expected to learn a bit about mortgages and housing yet I still have no knowledge of the processes given that most of my work is clerical. Logically I should seek out work at a different office but I feel the work experience I've earned in the past year was of low quality. I do not like the idea of working another white collar job since sitting at a cubicle for hours at a time is cumbersome and the office culture feels like a repeat of high school gossip.

I feel lost in my career path now and the idea of joining the military to take up some sort of trade while traveling does seem appealing to me. I am physically active outside work so Basic Training shouldn't be an issue and I have zero criminal activity, though I did take antidepressants for about 10 months during my college days (this may have also contributed to my poor relationship with my choice of major) but have stopped using that for the last two years. I do enjoy aiding my coworkers and working in teams but my only concern is that I'm incredibly introverted most of the time.

5 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Ten years ago, I would've said no. Today, I will emphatically say no.

Care to elaborate? I understand that the lifestyle is not for everyone. I have a few coworkers who used to be in the military and enjoyed their time before their contracts ran out.

Honestly I think you need something engaging to do in your free time more then anything.  Look right now the world may very well be headed to world war 3 if you are only looking at the military as a place to teach you skills it isn't the right idea to join, because you have to remember being in any military means you will be sent to the front if a war breaks out and you have to remember that you may be ordered to kill people and from the sounds of what you are saying you haven't really thought about that.  the military isn't a choice to be made lightly or just to learn a trade or travel because the military's job covers a much bigger and darker role.  I say this as someone who grew up in a military town and whose father served so I respect the people who do or have served because of the choice they made since it is something I don't think I could do. 

Edited by EricaofRenais

Let me be very, very, very clear:

Joining the US military means you will be duty-bound under the law to invade and kill and die for your government, if ordered to do so. Have no right whatsoever to speak up about it or question your orders. And can be arrested + jailed if you bail. 

If its absolutely your last resort for food in your belly and a roof over your head and its either that or prison--go for it. 

But holy shit if you're gainfully employed and your only complaint now is that you don't find your civilian job fulfilling--no.

Don't do it. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

On 9/1/2022 at 2:29 PM, Shoblongoo said:

Let me be very, very, very clear:

Joining the US military means you will be duty-bound under the law to invade and kill and die for your government, if ordered to do so. Have no right whatsoever to speak up about it or question your orders. And can be arrested + jailed if you bail. 

If its absolutely your last resort for food in your belly and a roof over your head and its either that or prison--go for it. 

But holy shit if you're gainfully employed and your only complaint now is that you don't find your civilian job fulfilling--no.

Don't do it. 

I was considering joining the USAF or Navy. Are my chances of seeing combat low? I was advised most members don't see battle throughout their career.