Evil Emblems

AnonymousSpeed

So, this is a discussion that's popped up a few times, and I thought I'd make a dedicated thread for it.

We know that the villains will also use Emblems, and we see that pasty sorcerer guy from the trailer putting one of the rings on. We've also seen the "main" 16 Emblems, which are all based on Fire Emblem protagonists, and that collecting all the rings is somehow important. I think there's been theorizing that you'll have to collect them over the course of the game. This raises some interesting questions, especially since we don't see what Emblem the aforementioned pasty dastard has, or where you'll gather all those other Emblem.

My question for you all is: Do we think there will be separate Emblems of villainous characters that the villains will use, or will they be competing for the same pool as you are?

Related questions include:

• Could there be a plot point where you lose all your rings so the villains can do their villainous ritual?
  • Will you claim Emblems by defeating their users and claiming them for yourself? If so, will their users be evil or merely misguided?
  • If there are villain Emblems beyond the revealed 16, do you expect they'll be obtainable in any capacity, even if it's only New Game + or the like?

In general, how do you think the antagonists are going to handle Emblems? Since we're still pretty early in the reveal cycle, speculation and hoping is most of what we can do.

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

My question for you all is: Do we think there will be separate Emblems of villainous characters that the villains will use, or will they be competing for the same pool as you are?

i think there will be separate. Why? because if theres only 16 rings, that means one or possible more rings will be restricted to very Endgame. that means one the emblem will not have enough spotlight, time, and flexibility that some earlier emblem has. that would be suck to anyone who likes particular emblem associated with that ill-fated ring(s) want to use them.

Will you claim Emblems by defeating their users and claiming them for yourself? If so, will their users be evil or merely misguided?

evil. comically evil even.

collect them over the course of the game.

this im sure will go as classic as any old formula of party based game: each region will have their own set of rings we will find

Unless I seriously missed something, there are only 12 main emblems shown so far.

Also, I think it's a little too presumptive at this point to assume we're going to be seeing a lot of classic villains as well. That one evil ring in the trailer might end up being the only evil ring.

I mean, 12 good rings and 1 evil ring. That's a set up used before, like with Genealogy's 12 Crusaders with Loptous's tome being the 1 evil.

4 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Do we think there will be separate Emblems of villainous characters that the villains will use, or will they be competing for the same pool as you are?

I think it could be a little bit of both. The main antagonists, whatever evil cult wants the Fell Dragon revived. will use Emblems containing series villains. Meanwhile, the other nations will compete with the player for some of the heroic Emblems. Alternatively, they could do what FE4 did and give the player some heroic Emblems, while others remain enemy exclusive, outside of some bonus content like challenge maps or renown rewards.

Could there be a plot point where you lose all your rings so the villains can do their villainous ritual?

Maybe not all, but I could see there being a point where you lose most of your Emblems for some kind of ritual. Unless it`s like the Archenea games, where there is a opportunity for you to gain the lost Emblems back.

Will you claim Emblems by defeating their users and claiming them for yourself? If so, will their users be evil or merely misguided?

Possible, but too early for me to give any clear answer.

If there are villain Emblems beyond the revealed 16, do you expect they'll be obtainable in any capacity, even if it's only New Game + or the like?

Either as New Game + rewards, or through renown.

Of course, it is still too early to know for certain, these are just me speculating.

One evil dude for every Hero was my first blush reaction too, but I've mellowed out on the idea. First because I really think the Twelve we know about are THE Twelve, and second I don't think villains are as hype as main characters. Especially in a post-Heroes world where we've already gotten the experience of exploiting Free Will-less Michalis, Reinhardt, Lyon etc. I do like the idea of "recruiting" emblems to our side with worthless platitudes about forging peace. It's one of the oldest series traditions dating back to Kashimu (Castor) just needing money for his Ma. And with the exception of Marth we WILL meet evil versions of the Lords. IS LOVES the Brainwashed Fallen Hero gimmick. Another series tradition dating back to Chiki (Tiki) in the first game.