Who will be added to the Choose Your Legends Roster next year (and who do you want added?)

Jotari

So every year at least a few more characters are added to the Choose Your Legends roster. Either super minor characters that didn't seem relevant enough before, or inexplicable major characters that were left out for reasons comprehensible only to the staff of IS (looking at you Lekain). Though I think we've more or less exhausted the second list with all major characters being on CYL, unless I'm forgetting someone, so it comes down to what minor characters do you expect to or want to see added to the Choose Your Legends list?

The most obvious addition will no doubt be Fire Emblem: Three Hopes, probably as an entire game to select with the designs for the characters in that game, but either way we'll be getting the likes of Shez, Arval and Host in Choose Your Legends, that, I think, is entirely certain. What's less certain is wether we will see any Engage content on it given Engage is set to come out around the same time, or I think even a little bit after Choose Your Legends. On one hand it's stupid and ridiculous to have people vote for characters they know nothing about and will probably be seeing for the first time on Choose Your Legends. On the other hand multi media cross platform promotion freely advertising the game with the major character designs, eh, I wouldn't say it's impossible. I don't want them to put Engage on until I've actually played the game, but I won't be super surprised if they do.

The reason I came up with this, first and foremost, is because we were discussing the remaining Awakening characters as they have only 8 characters left on the Choose Your Legends list. The obvious characters to add to that section, in my eyes, are Pheros and Old Hubba. Someone also brought up Chrom's random Maiden and I agree, while I don't have any interest in seeing her get in the game under a normal banner, having her as a wedding alt would be funny and fitting and putting her on CYL would be the first step in that direction.

We have Anankos on the poll, but it's just the stone head Anankos. It's a bit strange the Hidden Truths version of Anankos isni't there. Though I'm not sure how they would handle that set up. Maybe Anankos (Bad) and Anankos (Good)?

Now the only other continuity I want to talk about is Archanea. Specifically Gra. Namely, we're missing my man! The king of Gra! Potential Canon Bow Armour, Jiol! Everyone loves Jiol, right? No? Is it only me? He's the head of an enemy nation in the first game, he betrays Marth's father, that's significant, isn't it? Well he's definitely more significant than the other Gra character I want, the nameless Captain from the Prologue. This guy is Archanea's answer to the Brigand Boss. He has a face, he has dialogue and he has a role in the story. Much like how the Brigand Boss kidnapped Silque, this guy kidnapped Gordin and tied him up while disguised as a Gra soldier. The Gra captain is cunning, ambitious and resourceful. Truly a well rounded character. I actually do expect Jiol to get into Choose Your Legends, the Gra Captain, I don't expect, but in a funny way, I think if he does get in, he'll be memed up pretty high on the lists just like the Brigand Bandit, while Jiol stands a high chance of being at the literal bottom.

Another one from Archanea that I want that's slightly weirder is Naga. Specifically the FE3 mural representation of Naga. As I would genuinely like to see that male design get into Heroes. I don't see it happening though, but even if they reuse the Awakening portrait, I kind of feel like Naga should be present in the Mystery of the Emblem character selection. Heroes does acknowledge her as being from both those continuities. In a similar vane, I kind of expect us to get a lot more of the legendary characters, or at least the ones we can pull some kind of artwork from for them. Altina has been on the roster for quite a while, yet Soan is nowhere to be seen and we do have some kind of image for the Jugdral Crusaders. Elimne is also in the game now so should probably be put on it like Altina, though I'm not sure if she would be Binding Blade or Blazing Blade (maybe put Roland, Durban, Athos and Braimmond in both those games?). On the subject of Elibe, we all love Denning and I think I would genuinely vote for him in CYL.

Anyway, I'll stop talking now and let someone else express expectation or interest in Choose Your Legends candidates.

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

The reason I came up with this, first and foremost, is because we were discussing the remaining Awakening characters as they have only 8 characters left on the Choose Your Legends list. The obvious characters to add to that section, in my eyes, are Pheros and Old Hubba. Someone also brought up Chrom's random Maiden and I agree, while I don't have any interest in seeing her get in the game under a normal banner, having her as a wedding alt would be funny and fitting and putting her on CYL would be the first step in that direction.

If they're really desperate for more girls, Raimi (Ch. 3 boss) is also an option. She did serve as the Feroxi messenger to ask for Ylisse's aid against Valm, so she technically isn't just a one-off boss character. Aside from her, I'd say that Awakening's resident bandit twins (Victor and Vincent) should be on the ballot too. They did show up in multiple DLC maps (Golden Gaffe and Harvest Scramble) in addition to the two Anna paralogues.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Now the only other continuity I want to talk about is Archanea. Specifically Gra. Namely, we're missing my man! The king of Gra! Potential Canon Bow Armour, Jiol! Everyone loves Jiol, right? No? Is it only me?

Eh, I do kinda like him if just for the fact that he's a complete and unrepentant asshole. I do agree that Jiol should be on the ballot because his betrayal of Altea was pretty significant to Shadow Dragon's plot. I'd say Jiol is at least as important as Lang, who is on the ballot.

As for the rest of the games, lemme see who I can think of:

Valentia: the rest of the boss characters, The Creation
Genealogy: Batu, Kurth, Azmur, Pamela
Binding Blade: Erik, Leygance, Arcard, Roartz, Mordred, Flaer
Blazing Blade: Erik, Darin, Uhai, Kenneth, Jerme
The Sacred Stones: Pablo, Klimt, Dara, Carlyle, Mansel.......plus Gheb and Binks as meme options
Fates: Kilma, Kotaro, Anthony, Cassita
Three Houses: Indech / The Immovable, Macuil / The Wind Caller, Fleche, Sitri

1 hour ago, Tybrosion said:

If they're really desperate for more girls, Raimi (Ch. 3 boss) is also an option. She did serve as the Feroxi messenger to ask for Ylisse's aid against Valm, so she technically isn't just a one-off boss character. Aside from her, I'd say that Awakening's resident bandit twins (Victor and Vincent) should be on the ballot too. They did show up in multiple DLC maps (Golden Gaffe and Harvest Scramble) in addition to the two Anna paralogues.

Honestly at this point I could easily see Raimi getting into the game. Just have her talk with Basilio about...idk Regna Feroxi's cold and you have a Forging Bonds.

Eh, I do kinda like him if just for the fact that he's a complete and unrepentant asshole. I do agree that Jiol should be on the ballot because his betrayal of Altea was pretty significant to Shadow Dragon's plot. I'd say Jiol is at least as important as Lang, who is on the ballot.

At least Lang has going for him being the villain of multiple chapters of the early game, whereas Jiol only appears in a single chapter (plus a cameo in the Shadow Dragon prologue). On the other hand though, Jiol is elated to a playable character ( a playable character who got into the game super early on despite being kind of minor in the weird way that Jiol is also minor despite both of them being monarchs). So, yeah, I guess on Lang's level when you toss all the elements up and blend them together.

I never considered it before, but Kurth could totally be a legendary or mythic unit. He does wiled Naga, and he is Deirdre's father, that is actually a lot going for him for a character with no dialogue. Maybe best to wait for the Genealogy remake so he can get a better design though (for getting into the game, throwing him on CYL in the mean time, sure, why not).

On the subject of Jugdral, Lewin's uncles, Daccar and Maios, should be on there, since those are actually the villains of chapter 4.

What? Kotaro isn't on Choose Your Legends? Well I'll be damned. Like, sure, he's not a major character, but he's far from minor either, you fight him on all three routes. He's certainly more important than the capturable bosses. The fact that he's not on while every one of the capturable bosses are kind of suggests to me that they actually value the playable status of the capturable bosses, which means they might actually intend to put them all in at some point. Though they've yet to put even a single one of them in, so maybe they're just hedging their bets. I can't see a banner with four capturable bosses selling though.

Oh yes, yes yes. Surprised Fleche isn't on there already.

Edited by Jotari

Ever since Mustafa, my philosophy is if they're equal to or greater than Mustafa in importance, they should be an option for CYL. Because, let's face it, Mustafa is super, super minor. So, characters like Jiol, Pamela, Erik, and Fleche? Make 'em an option, already!

35 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Ever since Mustafa, my philosophy is if they're equal to or greater than Mustafa in importance, they should be an option for CYL. Because, let's face it, Mustafa is super, super minor. So, characters like Jiol, Pamela, Erik, and Fleche? Make 'em an option, already!

Honestly, I'd say Mustafa is more memorable and important than Dithorba. Mustafa has the narrative role of representing the common Plegian people and their reaction to Emmeryn's death, which is crucial for the climax of the first arc. He's also the boss of the chapter where Don't Speak Her Name is played, which is definitely in the top 2 most memorable songs for the game alongside ID. Dithorba meanwhile just fight the heroes and that's it. She's not even the main defector pegasus knight of the chapter, that's Pamela. Like literally you can only get more minor than Dithorba by being one of the unnamed monster bosses from Sacred Stones. This is her sum total of dialogue in the story.

Spoiler

Deet’var:
“Bishop Cuvuli’s wind mages are standing by in a forest near Sailane. They await your command.”

Deet’var:
“Yes. Our squadron is to divert the enemy.”

At least she has a combat quote and a death quote though

“Behold: You now face Díthorba, one of the Four Heavenly Knights of Silesse! This is where your journey ends!  .”

"Ohohoho! Erinys, is it? Fancy seeing you here! Your head will make a fine gift for Lord Myos' mantelpiece!"
Erinys: I'll never let you win here, Díthorba! I've come a long way from the Erinys you once knew!
Díthorba: Pfeh. Don't make me laugh! Once a weakling, always a weakling! Some things will never change!    ”    

“    N-no... What have I...    d

And that's it, that's everything Dithorba ever says in Genealogy of the Holy War. I'm pretty sure she has more text in Heroes.  Honestly the only character I can think of with a name and face with less relevance than her is Heimler, the boss in the Archanea Palace chapter of Shadow Dragon who attacks you from the rear and has literally no dialogue. We really didn't need any of the Chapter 4 Pegasus Knights, but if they were going to choose one of them, then Pamela is a way more obvious choice as she does way more in the chapter, seizing the capital and assisting in the death of another character. Pamela is the chief pegasus knight while Dithorba is literally just muscle because the game needs a boss to lead that squadron of enemies.

Though granted she is the mother of a Thracia 776 character, but that sounds a lot more relevant than it actually is. She never mentions her daughter and the reference in Thracia in itself downplays that fact for Misha's motivations. Though Heroes does at least no about that fact as they have Dithorba mention Misha...course they could give us an actual Thracia banner and put Misha in the game, that would be more warranted than Dithorba. I'd say Rolf's mother is more important than Dithorba. This probably sounds more like an angry rant than it is, it doesn't actually bother me, more baffles me. I hope this does lead to Dithorba being an actual character with Misha's existence, and other Thracia characters like Cyas, being integrated into Genealogy of the Holy War's stories, but the overall point is that Dithorba was an absolute nobody in Genealogy of the Holy War whose only claim to importance was a retroactive edit in a subsequent game. She set the bar a lot lower than a genuinely memorable boss like Mustafa. If we're to hold Dithorba's relative level of importance as a standard, then every single boss with dialogue and a battle quote deserves to be on the list (which...sure, why not?).

Edited by Jotari

15 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Honestly, the bar is even lower than Mustafa at this point given we got Brigand Boss as a GHB for a Valentian banner.  BB wasn’t even a meme choice like Jorge was as the CYL4 GHB. IS legitimately picked BB over Jedah, base Rudolf, Nuibaba, Desaix, Slayde or even Grieth.

Therefore, if any character is even remotely a meme then they should be on the ballot if they aren’t already (like Gromell). In addition to Gromell, give me that guy from PoR who contemplated using babies as meat shields. Let’s just go all the way down the meme rabbit hole.

Another character I'd genuinely like to see that would push the boundary of relativity is Volzhin, the boss of Archanea Palace in Shadow Dragon and the best example of a human working within the confines of Doluna, there are others, like the cavalier in the same chapter who has no dialogue, but at least Volzhin has something to say, and even has that whole thing Camus mentions of him stealing Boah's tome. Any way, it'd be nice if he gave us some insight into Doluna, especially from the human perspective, as it's kind of sorely lacking. Medeus, in Heroes, is literally the first time anyone from Doluna has been playable in any game. And you know what, while he's super minor, I actually think Volzhin might have a chance some day. Because Archanea has gone the opposite route to Shadows of Valentia, which has barely any of its villains in the game. Archanea has more or less put all its villains in the game already. What potential remains for GHB units? I'd say we could realistically expect

*Jiol

*Lang

*Lawrence

*Horace

*Arlen

That's it. Maybe Matthis or Roger if they really want to avoid minor boss enemies, but they'd be a bit underwhelming imo as they'd don't take command positions as enemies, they're just in amoungst other generics (though I don't think they'd be very marketable on a main banner, so GHB is better in that regard). So yeah, there are only two legitimate major enemies form Archanea not in the game and then a bunch of playable characters who act as enemies. So dipping into more minor bosses like Volzhin or Mannu doesn't seem that unrealistic if the game lasts another four or five Archanea banners.

Honestly, I'm not even registering Brigand Boss or Dithorba in my mind because they NEVER should have been picked over the likes of other characters anyway. They're below the threshold for me. Mustafa is my limit, I'm not particularly happy about his appearance but I'm not irritated all that much about it, either. Unlike BB and Dithorba where I'm actively annoyed that they were chosen over other characters that should have taken their slots.

On 10/17/2022 at 11:43 PM, Tybrosion said:

As for the rest of the games, lemme see who I can think of:

Valentia: the rest of the boss characters, The Creation
Binding Blade: Erik, Leygance, Arcard, Roartz, Mordred, Flaer
Blazing Blade: Erik, Darin, Uhai, Kenneth, Jerme
The Sacred Stones: Pablo, Klimt, Dara, Carlyle, Mansel.......plus Gheb and Binks as meme options

Oh wait, this made me realize that Erik isn't part of the CYL, in one part he's a one-shot character with a big of extra dialogue, in the other hand, he's like the only one of the villains that appears in both FE6 and FE7 XD. 

And... I hope they finally fixing Fleche missing, I imagine that the reason why she isn't in CYL is because she doesn't appear in Academy Phase and doesn't have a gameplay role, so they forgot to add her, but they added freaking Lambert.

Edited by Troykv

5 hours ago, Troykv said:

Oh wait, this made me realize that Erik isn't part of the CYL, in one part he's a one-shot character with a big of extra dialogue, in the other hand, he's like the only one of the villains that appears in both FE6 and FE7 XD. 

And... I hope they finally fixing Fleche missing, I imagine that the reason why she isn't in CYL is because she doesn't appear in Academy Phase and doesn't have a gameplay role, so they forgot to add her, but they added freaking Lambert.

Darin is also a curious missing case, as, while a bit of a tool, he is kind of the the boss of the first act  of Eliwood/Hector mode. It's him you ultimately end up fighting on the Dreaded Isle, not Ephidel or Nergal.

On 10/20/2022 at 6:53 PM, Jotari said:

Darin is also a curious missing case, as, while a bit of a tool, he is kind of the the boss of the first act  of Eliwood/Hector mode. It's him you ultimately end up fighting on the Dreaded Isle, not Ephidel or Nergal.

Oh yeah, he's like Lang, he's the first act's bad guy which is relevant for a lot of what is happening and gets quite a bit of screentime; with his actions being what ends up introducing the real threat.

Oh and Darin also gets to appear in the final chapter as a Morph, funny thing to mention.