Making Wary Fighter more interesting

AnonymousSpeed

On 2/9/2023 at 4:42 PM, starburst said:

A chance towards accomplishing a goal is better than the certainty of nothing.
Fire Emblem’s assigning probabilities to actions is an entertaining exercise to test our perception of chance.

Sure. Other games have probabilities too, though. Like Pokemon, where many attacking moves have a chance for a secondary effect to activate when they hit. For example, Thunderbolt has a chance to paralyze the target (unless the target has Shield Dust, which negates the additional effects of attack moves, or the attacker has Sheer Force, which negates the secondary effects of attack moves, but powers them up). Anyway, the problem with Pavise and Aegis is that their effects are rather weak unless you're in a battle where you're taking a lot of damage if they don't work. That's not so great, especially considering they're level 15 skills (and it doesn't help that both are in different class lines). To put things into perspective, Bravely Default and Bravely Second both have a skill that works like Pavise and Aegis in one skill, but it's much better because it blocks much more damage (the DR for that is 50% too, but in those games, you are getting hit for several hundred HPs worth of damage, with that going to 1000 at times, and even higher).

On 2/9/2023 at 5:42 PM, starburst said:

I love Tom Brady. Should he simply concede games instead of attempting last-minute drives with no time outs and 80 yards to go against a top defence?

He just broke the record of such winning drives.

'Ay, did I ever tell you guys-

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2023 at 8:56 PM, 67chrome said:

And shades of that logic are a good enough reason to use %active skills and take a chance every now and then.

I agree with most of your arguments. As I told you before, I do not even use Generals because I do not need that much defence and because I do not love the characters with natural access to it.

You are still missing one important point about Pavise and Wary Fighters on Generals: they are given to them, at no cost, as part of their development. And, in my view, they also suit their lore.
I would prefer to have offensive activation skills on a General, given their high Skill, but it is what it is.

I would not recommend to turn other units into Generals for a couple of levels to learn Wary Fighter or Pavise either. But they suit Generals! Being the slowest units on the map and nullifying double attacks on them is great, and having the chance of halving the damage of most weapons is always better than not having it.

You compare these skills to other skills in the pool, which may hardly or never be available to Generals in practice during a campaign, while I compare these two skills to not having them at all. These two skills make Generals better and cost them nothing. Why would you renounce to a given benefit?

Man, this was brilliant! 😂🏈