What we know of Engage's mechanics so far.

DefyingFates

On 12/19/2022 at 9:03 AM, Cysx said:

... also, we probably don't need that many "main" posts, kienquocsi, so feel free to add it all to yours. If given permission I'll do the same, at least until there's a link to yours in the very first one.

Kien's post is listed in my first as well, right under yours.

Also, I'm back! Thank you all so much for collating all this info! 😄

Edit: "Added Eirika, Leif and Lucina information, along with a Class Changes section."

It's nice to finally know a bit about how classes work!

Edit 2: Sacred Spear made a video breaking all of this info down and part of the footage used showed that Qi Adepts can use Chain Guards. Does anyone know where exactly this was first shown off, please?

P.S. I've only skimmed his video because I don't want spoilers, but he's done a great job from what I've seen and if anyone doesn't have time to read all of this I really recommend checking it out!

Edited by DefyingFates

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/24/2022 at 3:17 PM, DefyingFates said:

Edit 2: Sacred Spear made a video breaking all of this info down and part of the footage used showed that Qi Adepts can use Chain Guards. Does anyone know where exactly this was first shown off, please?

This was a tweet; let me find it real quick...

I've updated the weapon stat thingie with the new information I've seen. If anyone sees something that's missing, do tell, I'd appreciate it.

1 hour ago, Cysx said:

This was a tweet; let me find it real quick...

I've updated the weapon stat thingie with the new information I've seen. If anyone sees something that's missing, do tell, I'd appreciate it.

Perfect, thank you very much!

Sorry for the late summary today. There's much information, and school has started again for me, but anyways, here we are:

- Ike - Emblem of Radiance:

• Engage weapon: Hammer (Ike's Hammer is a heavy weapon that can trigger Smash, but forces user to attack last. Normal Hammer is not a heavy weapon btw)
  • Sync Skill: "Resolve" - increase Def and Res by 5 when HP falls below 75%
  • Engage skill: "Anchor", reduce avoid to 0 but receive half damage. Reduce 10% more (for a total of 60% damage reduced) for Dragon units.
  • Engage Attack: "Triumph(?) Aether" - increase Def by 5 (10 for Armored?), Res by 5 and user cannot counter attack that turn. At the start of next turn, release AoE attack to every enemies within 2 tiles and heal proportionally to damage dealt (heal 30% damage dealt, cap at 10 per attack?). Seems to be locked to Sword and Axe (at least not Lance)

- When initiating attack using a heavy weapon (like Blades, Greatlance,...), user is forced to attack last, but it will trigger Smash, which pushes foe back 1 tile. If they hit a wall or another unit (i.e the tile they are supposed to go to is occupied), they will be Broken. Heavy weapons cannot double.

- Some other stuff tipperthescales found on Engage website:

• Canter enables movement of 2 spaces after taking an action (so different from Super Canto. More like Canto (2) from FEH)
  • Sigurd's other Sync Skill: "Momentum" - adds 1Atk for each square moved before an attack, capped at +10. This doesn't seem to apply for any attack beyond the first (for example, Chloe's first attack here (21) is affected by Momentum, while her second (15) is not)
  • Unyielding (Marth's 3rd Sync Skill): at base level, if at the start of Player Phase you're at less than 20% HP, you recover 20% of max HP
  • The Crystal rewards from winning Somniel's trial map are used to strengthen Engage Weapons. Each weapon can be upgraded 16 times. Upgrade Might to lv 2 increases it by 4, while upgrade Hit, Avo, Crit or Crit Avo to lv 2 increases them by 5

Edited by kienquocsi

1 hour ago, kienquocsi said:

Sorry for the late summary today.

No need to apologize, I've been pretty sluggish today myself. I hope school's going well for you!

(Ike's Hammer is a heavy weapon that can trigger Smash, but forces user to attack last. Normal Hammer is not a heavy weapon btw)

Interesting! I guess this distinction is also to justify Ike having a simple Hammer as an Engage Weapon compared to everyone else's Prfs and weapons with powerful effects/ names.

I missed this stuff as well, thank you very much! You too of course, @tipperthescales!

Update: And all this info has now been added to the main post along with the info on Emblem weapon engravings from a few days before, thank you both again!

Edited by DefyingFates

• 2 weeks later...

Nintendo of America tweeted about Warp Ragnarok confirming that it gets a +5 range bonus for fliers but also a 20% damage bonus for mages. Celica's not the only Emblem to have split bonuses like this, but it really drives home that Alear is meant to make the most of all Emblems since they can get all their perks.

More importantly, Sacred Spear made a second video with a few more details after his first if you want to check that out too!

I hope they can actually make all the classes look presentable in terms of battlefield performance. I'm certainly expecting some classes to be better than others, but still... I just hope they don't mess up on the scale Fates and 3H did with some of their classes.

Added Emblem Micaiah's information! I guess IS is back from their New Year's break?

Edit: Also added the detail about Armor units being unbreakable. I put in a caveat about us not knowing if there are any skills that can overrule their immunity or if they can be broken by Smashing them into something.

Edited by DefyingFates

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

Added Emblem Micaiah's information! I guess IS is back from their New Year's break?

Edit: Also added the detail about Armor units being unbreakable. I put in a caveat about us not knowing if there are any skills that can overrule their immunity or if they can be broken by Smashing them into something.

They have to specify Armor is immune to Break from WTD, so there's a fair chance other method of breaking them still works

4 minutes ago, kienquocsi said:

They have to specify Armor is immune to Break from WTD, so there's a fair chance other method of breaking them still works

Thank you very much, I'll add that to the main post too!

P.S. We know Armors are partially immune to Breaks and fliers ignore terrain (I think), do we know if cavaliers have any special perks beyond better movement?

Edited by DefyingFates

3 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

P.S. We know Armors are partially immune to Breaks and fliers ignore terrain (I think), do we know if cavaliers have any special perks beyond better movement?

Nope, they've said nothing about special Cavaliers perk besides higher movement

Just now, kienquocsi said:

Nope, they've said nothing about special Cavaliers perk besides higher movement

Thank you very much! I wonder if that'll be something we hear about in the two weeks until release (only 15 days to go, that's crazy!)

Also, I added the break info!

3 minutes ago, kienquocsi said:

Oh, also, Shine specifically illuminates a range of 5 tiles, which weakens (-1 tile) every turn.

So it works like a torch? That makes sense, and I wonder if Micaiah will be unlocked right before a FOW map? I've added this information, thank you yet again Kien!

3 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

So it works like a torch? That makes sense, and I wonder if Micaiah will be unlocked right before a FOW map? I've added this information, thank you yet again Kien!

Going based off the UK website, I have an inkling that we get her in chapter 6 alongside Yunaka, who seems to be synced with her

Spoiler

CI_NSwitch_FireEmblemEngage_wheel_s5.jpg

Sorry for the double post but a lot of new stuff has dropped. A number of preview videos have dropped, however this one by N1-UP is probably one of the best since it shows of a lot of things to do with classes and emblems:

Spoiler

Micaiah's engage weapons are Shine, Nosferatu and Thani.

The list of classes are as follows (excluding royal exclusive classes):

Spoiler

Sword/Lance/Axe Fighter (B Sword/Lance/Axe)

Swordmaster (S Sword)

Hero (A Sword, B Lance/Axe)

Halberdier (S Lance)

Royal Knight (A Lance, C Staff)

Berserker (S Axe)

Warrior (A Axe, C Bow)

Sniper (S Bow)

Bow Knight (C Sword/Lance/Axe, A Bow)

Sword/Lance/Axe Armour (B Sword/Lance/Axe)

General (A Sword/Lance/Axe)

Great Knight (B Sword/Lance/Axe - Uses combo of two weapon types)

Sword/Lance/Axe Cavalier (B Sword/Lance/Axe)

Paladin (A Sword/Lance/Axe)

Wolf Knight (B Sword/Lance/Axe, A Knife)

Sword/Lance/Axe Flier (B Sword/Lance/Axe)

Griffon Knight (A Sword/Lance/Axe, C Staff)

Wyvern Knight (B Sword/Lance/Axe - Uses combo of two weapon types)

Mage (B Tomes)

Sage (S Tomes, B Staff)

Mage Knight (B Sword/Lance/Axe, A Tomes)

Martial Monk (B Staff, C Arts)

Martial Master (A Staff, S Arts)

High Priest (B Tomes, S Staff, C Arts)

Thief (S Knife)

51 minutes ago, Azz said:

Sorry for the double post but a lot of new stuff has dropped.

As long as no one calls a mod, you won't get any complaints, thank you for the posts!

Micaiah's engage weapons are Shine, Nosferatu and Thani.

Ah, and here I was thinking Nosferatu would be a good choice for Lyon. Oh well, he wasn't likely to get in anyway, and even if he was we've already seen a few repeat Engage Weapons~ Did the video show off any other Emblem's equipment or skills, please?

And this is amazing, thank you very much! It must have taken ages to compile all of this together!!! Can someone who's more savvy about classes have a look and tell which ones are promoted/ if there seem to be 3rd-tier or higher promotions, please? Thank you in advance!

Edited by DefyingFates

3 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

As long as no one calls a mod, you won't get any complaints, thank you for the posts!

Ah, and here I was thinking Nosferatu would be a good choice for Lyon. Oh well, he wasn't likely to get in anyway, and even if he was we've already seen a few repeat Engage Weapons~ Did the video show off any other Emblem's equipment or skills, please?

And this is amazing, thank you very much! It must have taken ages to compile all of this together!!!

The video only shows Marth, Sigurd, Celica and Micaiah. It also shows all the advanced class skills but I didn't have the time nor patience lol to take them all down hehe

1 hour ago, Azz said:

It's frustrating that we still don't know for sure if male can reclass into Flier classes. It would be dumb to not give them base Flier classes, since they are requisite to promote into Griffin/Wyvern Knight

2 minutes ago, kienquocsi said:

It's frustrating that we still don't know for sure if male can reclass into Flier classes. It would be dumb to not give them base Flier classes, since they are requisite to promote into Griffin/Wyvern Knight

Yeah I was really hoping they would scroll down on Alfred's class list too but alas... We have seen male wyverns and griffons in the game IIRC and there was no mention of being female only in the class description so hopefully it means we can get dudes on pegasi in this game (or at least have some roundabout way to get male wyverns and griffons)

Just now, 3PercentCrit said:

I haven't fully kept track so this might be a dumb question but do we have any idea if brawling is going to be back for Engage?

Yes it does. Now your dancer and early game healer can brawl too!

1 minute ago, kienquocsi said:

Yes it does. Now your dancer and early game healer can brawl too!

Nice. Brawling was one of the things that I liked about Three Houses so I'm glad to hear it's going to be back.

1 minute ago, 3PercentCrit said:

I haven't fully kept track so this might be a dumb question but do we have any idea if brawling is going to be back for Engage?

Yes it is! It's been retooled into martial arts, but you'll still be able to punch and kick your way through armored enemies~

11 minutes ago, Azz said:

Yeah I was really hoping they would scroll down on Alfred's class list too but alas... We have seen male wyverns and griffons in the game IIRC and there was no mention of being female only in the class description so hopefully it means we can get dudes on pegasi in this game (or at least have some roundabout way to get male wyverns and griffons)

That was by far my favorite thing about Fates, and seeing Engage take so much else from Fates (lack of durability, royal-heavy cast, thankfully not as ridiculous outfits) leaves me desperately hoping it'll take that from Fates as well.

The only thing I wish that FE still had was rescuing. I keep getting into situations that if only I could rescue, I wouldn't have to restart the chapter. Perhaps they could have made it a skill for mounted classes that would be the equivalent to rescue? Or maybe this is just showing that I just never think of the consequences before doing something.