What we know of Engage's mechanics so far.

DefyingFates

8 minutes ago, kienquocsi said:

I read somewhere that people's hair matches the ring gemstone's color, but lighter

That matches the other Emblems, but unfortunately Sigurd's the odd one out here too since his gemstone is dull silver. I guess lilac is close to grey though, so maybe this still counts.

P.S. I added Aggro's weapon/ skill image from the other thread to this one! There are some that are still Japanese that I can't translate the kanji for. Can you take a look, please?

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, I'm glad to help!

てつの大槍: Iron Greatlance*

はがねの大槍: Steel Greatlance*

きんの大槍: Silver Greatlance*

火の槍: Flame Lance

見習いの体術: Training Body Art

護身の体術: Self-Protect Body Art

閃進の体術: Quick Body Art

コラプス: Collapse**

真っ向勝負: Direct Confrontation

溜め息: Sigh

* These are different from Greatlances in Tellius, which are 長槍, but I cannot find a better name from them

** Transliteration

13 minutes ago, kienquocsi said:

Sure, I'm glad to help!

てつの大槍: Iron Greatlance*

はがねの大槍: Steel Greatlance*

きんの大槍: Silver Greatlance*

火の槍: Flame Lance

見習いの体術: Training Body Art

護身の体術: Self-Protect Body Art

閃進の体術: Quick Body Art

コラプス: Collapse**

真っ向勝負: Direct Confrontation

溜め息: Sigh

* These are different from Greatlances in Tellius, which are 長槍, but I cannot find a better name from them

** Transliteration

Perfect, thank you so much! Also, "Sigh"? I guess Byleth's bringing Hapi with him 😛

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

Ooh, thank you very much for all of this! I really appreciate you getting it! May I ask where it was first posted?

That makes a lot of sense for three of them, but Sigurd's flame is light blue while his hair color is lilac. Maybe the mural is outdated? The flames match everyone else though, so I think you're right about them being represented in gameplay, thanks again! After all, why else would Byleth give pink hair when that's the least used color in his design? Actually, that could be exactly why.

Reddit creadit to NohrianVillager

As for Sigurd's flame, its actually Light purple/lavender at end of the flame.

48 minutes ago, kienquocsi said:

I read somewhere that people's hair matches the ring gemstone's color, but lighter

That might be also the case too.

14 hours ago, Naoshi said:

It looks great!

Updated the main post with the info from today's Celica overview. As always, please let me know what I missed!

Looks like you forgot to add that Mystical units ignore terrain bonus when attacking with magic

Also, you say "Flying enemies can warp up to 15 spaces away." I'm sure you mean allies, right?

Edited by kienquocsi

13 minutes ago, kienquocsi said:

Looks like you forgot to add that Mystical units ignore terrain bonus when attacking with magic

That I did, thanks! I only saw the tweets about Celica this morning; I only saw the rest after visiting the other thread. Speaking of, I added the items you pointed out there as well, including Roy's swords.

14 minutes ago, kienquocsi said:

Also, you say "Flying enemies can warp up to 15 spaces away." I'm sure you mean allies, right?

And correct again, oops xD Thank you again! Please let me know if I'm missing anything else!!

Someone in the JP Twitter thread said they saw Celica warping 16 spaces once. Does anyone know where that was so I can check? As suggested there it could be that Celica instead adds 10/ 15 to the unit's attack range for Warp Ragnarok (I also think it's possible those ranges can be upgraded). Thank you in advance, everyone!

58 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Someone in the JP Twitter thread said they saw Celica warping 16 spaces once. Does anyone know where that was so I can check? As suggested there it could be that Celica instead adds 10/ 15 to the unit's attack range for Warp Ragnarok (I also think it's possible those ranges can be upgraded). Thank you in advance, everyone!

You can see Pandoro warping 14 tiles away in the desert map, and he can still go 2 more tiles, which means at least 16 warping range

Edited by kienquocsi

50 minutes ago, kienquocsi said:

You can see Pandoro warping 14 tiles away in the desert map, and he can still go 2 more tiles, which means at least 16 warping range

Ah, gotcha. Thank you very much! I'll add an addendum to Celica's section in the main post!

Okay, so looking at (I think) every instance of Warp Ragnarok we've ever gotten, we have:

Original trailer, Japanese : Céline, 4 Move, Bond Lv 10, can reach precisely 14 spaces away

Original trailer, English : Céline, 4 Move, Bond Lv 10, can reach precisely 14 spaces away (not the same scene)

Engage trailer, Japanese, English, Chinese : Céline, 4 Move, Bond Lv 5, precisely 14 spaces.

Celica twitter trailer, 1 : Pandoro, 5 Move, Bond Lv 14, at least 15 spaces.

Celica Twitter trailer, 2 : Pandoro, 6 Move, Bond Lv 1, precisely 16 spaces.

I wish we could see a bit further to the south in that first Pandoro scene. If he could only go 15 spaces, that would strongly increase the odds of it being partially tied to movement.

Edited by Cysx

15 minutes ago, Cysx said:

Original trailer, Japanese : Céline, 4 Move, Bond Lv 10, can reach precisely 14 spaces away

Original trailer, English : Céline, 4 Move, Bond Lv 10, can reach precisely 14 spaces away (not the same scene)

Engage trailer, Japanese, English, Chinese : Céline, 4 Move, Bond Lv 5, precisely 14 spaces.

I especially agree with your assessment after seeing these. Maybe as you say the range gets an extra modifier based on class (e.g. +0 for infantry, +1 for covert) on top of the original +10/ +15, or maybe it just adds a flat +10/+15 to the units existing movement and the trailer was slightly mistranslated? What do you think?

17 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I especially agree with your assessment after seeing these. Maybe as you say the range gets an extra modifier based on class (e.g. +0 for infantry, +1 for covert) on top of the original +10/ +15, or maybe it just adds a flat +10/+15 to the units existing movement and the trailer was slightly mistranslated? What do you think?

I'm just thinking 10 range + Move to be honest. And then fliers get 5 more on top of that.

I have been seeing this coming up a few times, but where do you find the Chinese Engage Trailer?

EDIT: Never mind, I found it. I also find it interesting that that trailer has its own Chinese narrator, while the European ones only have translation

Edited by kienquocsi

54 minutes ago, Cysx said:

I'm just thinking 10 range + Move to be honest. And then fliers get 5 more on top of that.

Yeah, that would be simplest xD

39 minutes ago, kienquocsi said:

EDIT: Never mind, I found it. I also find it interesting that that trailer has its own Chinese narrator, while the European ones only have translation

Maybe it's to do with Eastern VAs being respected more? What about the games themselves, do those also get Chinese dubs?

P.S. Unless the PR machine wanted to get the major "Lords" out first, I guess they're going to alternate between characters and Emblems - at least until we see the other three from the Engaging trailer? So we may get Corrin tomorrow, Byleth on Monday and Lyn on Wednesday, going off of the trailer's order of showing them off (along with anything we glean from the footage ourselves, of course).

Edited by DefyingFates

2 minutes ago, Aggro Incarnate said:

Is it understood why Pandoro had 5 mov in one instance while 6 in the other, despite being High Priest in both?

I had a look at the footage again: Pandoro has 5 Mov at Lv. 8 with a Bond Lv. of 14... but has 6 Mov at Lv. 7 and a Bond Lv. of 1. He has two extra skills in the latter, but neither of them look like they'd grant movement (1:05 in this video). The first seems to be Pomp and Circumstance and the other is a fist. I guess the former could grant extra Mov as a bonus since it seems to be at a high level?

Speaking of, given Pandoro has more abilities at a lower level, I assume SP is indeed spent on unlocking them - and perhaps upgrading them as well if the "+6" is any indication (ditto for Emblem skills also having "+" or "++" variants).

20 minutes ago, Aggro Incarnate said:

Is it understood why Pandoro had 5 mov in one instance while 6 in the other, despite being High Priest in both?

Vincent actually pointed out recently that Pandoro's forged Elthunder has Sigurd's symbol besides its name, maybe it's the weapon that's giving him bonus movement? That could be a possibility (his movement stat is not blue like when receiving bonus though)

1 hour ago, kienquocsi said:

I have been seeing this coming up a few times, but where do you find the Chinese Engage Trailer?

At least there are only three version for now. Nintendo has (at least!) 22 Youtube channels. I'm almost glad we don't get english tweets at this point.
Also there are two chinese versions with distinct narrators. I'm assuming that's all that differs between the two, though.

45 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I had a look at the footage again: Pandoro has 5 Mov at Lv. 8 with a Bond Lv. of 14... but has 6 Mov at Lv. 7 and a Bond Lv. of 1. He has two extra skills in the latter, but neither of them look like they'd grant movement (1:05 in this video). The first seems to be Pomp and Circumstance and the other is a fist. I guess the former could grant extra Mov as a bonus since it seems to be at a high level?

Speaking of, given Pandoro has more abilities at a lower level, I assume SP is indeed spent on unlocking them - and perhaps upgrading them as well if the "+6" is any indication (ditto for Emblem skills also having "+" or "++" variants).

Stat boosters are always a possibility (though the forging symbol is a great guess!). Aka I don't know really.
I do agree that character skills require SP, though Emblem skills do consistently seem to require a bond level threshold(and potentially, so do their upgrades). Also I think that skill is just Luck +6 or something. Do we have any example of character (not emblem) skills with a lone + on them?

Edited by Cysx

12 hours ago, Cysx said:

Do we have any example of character (not emblem) skills with a lone + on them?

Nope. Even the list of icons on the front page only has "+N" labels for non-Emblem skills, so it seems like only those will be upgradable and Emblem/ Sync Skills will level up automatically.

13 hours ago, kienquocsi said:

Vincent actually pointed out recently that Pandoro's forged Elthunder has Sigurd's symbol besides its name, maybe it's the weapon that's giving him bonus movement?

Ah, that's very interesting! Thank you very much, I hadn't made the connection between that symbol and added movement, but it makes sense! I checked the footage and that symbol does indeed only appear in the case of him having 6 Mov. It seems weird to tie extra movement to a specific weapon though; I would have expected something like the March Ring instead. Unless equipped items only appear as that symbol and not in the inventory when equipped, which makes some sense if each bonus effect has a unique symbol that Engage teaches you to recognize?

Edit: I only just read Vincent's Celica analysis. I actually didn't realize there were multiple symbols in play here! Anyway, now I think you're spot on with this assumption: it seems each Emblem also confers a bonus when forging weapons. Sigurd could grant +1 Mov, while others grant other buffs. Marth could grant extra Avo perhaps, to go with his Sync Skill? Thanks again, Kien!

Edited by DefyingFates

Leif, Emblem of Genealogy

• Equipment : Killer Axe, unknown lance
    • Synchro Skill: Vital Shifting: Takes less damage when at weapon triangle advantage.
    • Engage Skill: Adaptation: When attacked, automatically switches to a weapon with an advantageous weapon triangle matchup or range, if possible.
    • Engage Attack: Tetra Trick: A combined attack using the Light Sword, unknown lance, Killer axe, and an unknown bow.

Roy: Emblem of Binding

• Equipment: Lancereaver, Wyrmslayer, Binding Blade(?)
    • Synchro Skills: ??? : If you're at >30% HP when the battle starts, killing hits will leave you at 1 HP instead.
    • Engage Skills: Transcendence: Raises your level by 5. Can breach the level cap. Dragon characters get 6 levels instead.
    • Engage Attack: Blazing Lion(?): attack enemies three spaces in a row (+3 more spaces in the row in front of that for Dragons), and sets the terrain on fire afterwards in a 3x3 square right in front of you(similar to Corrin's EA). This fire "hinders movement" afterwards (either by inflicting damage as per tradition or straight up denying movement, I don't know).

Corrin: Emblem of Fates

• Equipment : Dual Katana (reverses the weapon triangle), Kodachi, Dragon Fang*** (base Yato?)
    • Synchro Skill: Dragon Veins: changes the terrain depending on class style :
      • Backup(?) : Vein of Protection : Creates earth pillars that boost Def/Res.
      • Cavalry : Vein of Water : Creates water tiles in a checker pattern, that lower Avoid by 30.
      • Covert : Vein of Mist : Creates Mist tiles all around the user that boost Avoid by 30.
      • Armoured : Vein of Greenery : Creates ivy all around the user that negate Break.
      • Fliers : Vein of Succor : Creates glowing tiles that heal HP every turn.
      • Mystical : Vein of Flame : Creates flames that inflict 10 damage per turn.
      • Qi Adept : Vein of Ice : Creates ice pillars. Restricts movement ?
      • Dragon : Has access to all 7 of the above at once.
    • Engage Skill : Dreadful Aura : After combat, immobilizes the target, as well as any other enemy next to it.
    • Engage Attack : Torrential Roar (hits three spaces forward in a line AND turns said spaces into water tiles (-30 Avoid)

OTHER

• There's another new combat mechanic called Smash. It allows you to push the enemy one space away after combat. Thus far, it's only been showcased on the Aymr (granted by Byleth to Dragon types), Steel Blade, and Iron Poleaxe. The latter two always attack last in combat, and cannot double. It is currently unknown if the Aymr shares those restrictions or not.
  • Qi gong characters can use Chain guard during their turn if they're at full HP. This allows them to take damage in place of targeted allies next to them. The damage cannot deal more than 20% of the Chain guard user's health.

SOMNIEL

• Mock battles : You can pick one of your units to fight a random member of your army, or one of your emblems. The former grants exp and can only be done a limited amount of times, while the latter grants bond levels with the selected emblem and can be attempted as many times as you want, but costs Bond Fragments.

Presumed weapon stats (Work in Progress obviously) :

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ic4UjGH84aCN9-TWKJpeVwbYy4QngGHPw8pueuHtQ9k/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Cysx