New Japanese Trailers for DLC 1 Emblems and Somniel (Home Base)

tipperthescales

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is this hub world another Fates-esque "magic safe haven located in another dimension"?

Also, these freaking modern sweatpants and compression trousers lmaoo. Fair enough, IntSys said "We just don't care anymore". Next time, just give the lord a pair of Jordan 1's

Edit: Emblems reacting to the player polishing their respective rings? Random units waking you up with shoujou-manga-esque love bubbles on screen? Fairs, this really is Fates 2.

Edited by Ziegenpeter

30 minutes ago, Ziegenpeter said:

So is this hub world another Fates-esque "magic safe haven located in another dimension"?

Also, these freaking modern sweatpants and compression trousers lmaoo. Fair enough, IntSys said "We just don't care anymore". Next time, just give the lord a pair of Jordan 1's

Edit: Emblems reacting to the player polishing their respective rings? Random units waking you up with shoujou-manga-esque love bubbles on screen? Fairs, this really is Fates 2.

Can't say I'm too happy about all the shojo and interactive "rubbing" stuff coming back. 

All this kind of stuff was creepy back in Fates. I had hoped they had learned when Three Houses scaled that sort of stuff back.

Guys, I think I figured it out. It's pretty clear to me that FE really wants to be a life simulator of sorts, where you can interact with other characters doing "normal" activities like having meals together, working out, fishing, etc., with a little bit of dating sim action where you can build bonds with certain people and if your bonds with them are really strong you get some extra special stuff. Like face rubbing. Which, you know, I guess in itself is fine.

I just wish they didn't choose to turn a series about fucking war into a life simulator. Focusing so much on the leisurely parts while the world burns around you makes the characters look out of touch, an issue Fates' My Castle also had!

EDIT: Thinking about it, I wouldn't be opposed to the free-roam "My Castle"/"Garreg Monastery" aspects existing in FE if it were a bit more realistic to what an army on the move would actually experience. Having to hunt on and fish on location to keep your food supplies low, rationing out supplies, doing morale boosting activities that are still not out-of-touch with war, studying strategies might be fun. But what FE actually puts in is immersion-breaking.

Edited by Sunwoo

6 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Can't say I'm too happy about all the shojo and interactive "rubbing" stuff coming back. 

All this kind of stuff was creepy back in Fates. I had hoped they had learned when Three Houses scaled that sort of stuff back.

Tbf, Three Houses was also "guilty" of kitschy stuff, like during the Tea Time sections.

I have nothing against stuff like this per se as long as these scenes are really just innocent "Oh good morning, Toothpaste-chan!" type moments. You just never know with unchained IntSys lmao.

Inb4 Marth will say "P-Please stop, I'm sensitive there!!" when you rub his ring.

2 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Guys, I think I figured it out. It's pretty clear to me that FE really wants to be a life simulator of sorts, where you can interact with other characters doing "normal" activities like having meals together, working out, fishing, etc., with a little bit of dating sim action where you can build bonds with certain people and if your bonds with them are really strong you get some extra special stuff. Like face rubbing. Which, you know, I guess in itself is fine.

I just wish they didn't choose to turn a series about fucking war into a life simulator. Focusing so much on the leisurely parts while the world burns around you makes the characters look out of touch, an issue Fates' My Castle also had!

To be fair, in real life soldiers do get time to R&R in most militaries. So it's not that FE is being more "life simulator". Rather, they want to portray also the downtime instead of just showing the battles. Specially since the themes of bonds and friendship has been a thing in FE since almost Day 1, and the downtime is the best way to portray it.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

To be fair, in real life soldiers do get time to R&R in most militaries. So it's not that FE is being more "life simulator". Rather, they want to portray also the downtime instead of just showing the battles. Specially since the themes of bonds and friendship has been a thing in FE since almost Day 1, and the downtime is the best way to portray it.

I did an edit addressing this.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

To be fair, in real life soldiers do get time to R&R in most militaries. So it's not that FE is being more "life simulator". Rather, they want to portray also the downtime instead of just showing the battles.

I think what rubs some people the wrong way is that they seem to be putting time into the simulation aspects.

Like, doing all the Monastery stuff in Three Houses easily took up more playthrough time than you were in battles.

Ad all these new mini games make it feel like they're trying to make you spend more time in the sim elements compared to battles.

I have to say I greatly prefer proper war bases in the real world over "Hyperbolic Time Chambers located in magic-world".

I know it doesn't make sense to leave the front lines after further penetrating into enemy territory, but the way Three Houses and Berwick Saga implemented hub-worlds is way better than how Fates and Engage do it.

Edited by Ziegenpeter

3 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I did an edit addressing this.

If I recall, that was basically what Three Hopes sort-of did, no? You're more on the move there in contrast to Three Houses having a central base.

2 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

I think what rubs some people the wrong way is that they seem to be putting time into the simulation aspects.

Like, doing all the Monastery stuff in Three Houses easily took up more playthrough time than you were in battles.

Ad all these new mini games make it feel like they're trying to make you spend more time in the sim elements compared to battles.

I suppose that's a good point. I'll admit I don't mind it too much, but I can see how it can be bothersome to others.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

If I recall, that was basically what Three Hopes sort-of did, no? You're more on the move there in contrast to Three Houses having a central base.

I didn't play 3 Hopes or watch anyone play it, so I couldn't say. That said, isn't 3 Hopes' base activities still, uh, kind of the same as 3H were? I'm kinda looking for something a bit more ... "less anime", I guess. Like, I'm having a hard time describing it but I guess I'd like the mood of the chapters to be reflected in the mood of the base activities. The best way I suppose I could describe it is that when I went through My Castle and Garreg Monastery (3H) it felt very divorced from the war. Made me feel like I was playing through some slice-of-life anime with a royal family (Fates) or students (3H). I want to go through this mode feeling like I'm actually at war.

14 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I didn't play 3 Hopes or watch anyone play it, so I couldn't say. That said, isn't 3 Hopes' base activities still, uh, kind of the same as 3H were? I'm kinda looking for something a bit more ... "less anime", I guess. Like, I'm having a hard time describing it but I guess I'd like the mood of the chapters to be reflected in the mood of the base activities. The best way I suppose I could describe it is that when I went through My Castle and Garreg Monastery (3H) it felt very divorced from the war. Made me feel like I was playing through some slice-of-life anime with a royal family (Fates) or students (3H). I want to go through this mode feeling like I'm actually at war.

I think some of them, yes. Though with some sense, like, having meals since soldiers still gotta eat, for example.

Eh, I don't know. I don't think soldiers talk about the war they're participating in 24/7. I think the point is that it's good for the psyche to not have the war constantly on the forefront, so having activities to help distract the mind is better. That's the whole point of having R&R. So if you don't feel the war when doing them... then good, that's the whole point.

But well, I can't really say. I'm no soldier, or know anyone who is.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

15 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Three Hopes activities are a bit more serious. There is the usual cooking stuff, but other activities are like taking care of the horses and weapon organizing and such. Tea time was replaced with Expeditions.

I do kind of agree with you in general. More activities isn't bad, but I too would prefer some more serious stuff compared to "let's have fun together" stuff that Engage seems to be going for.

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Eh, I don't know. I don't think soldiers talk about the war they're participating in 24/7. I think the point is that it's good for the psyche to not have the war constantly on the forefront, so having activities to help distract the mind is better. That's the whole point of having R&R. But well, I can't really say. I'm no soldier, or know anyone who is.

This is absolutely fair, but even so the mood of the life simulator segments just feels too divorced from the main story. There's distracting the mind, and there's acting like the war isn't going on around you.

Like in Fates especially in the last few chapters of Conquest ... it's just a major mood killer to go from massacring Sakura's army to taking a dip in hot springs and rubbing your waifu/husbando's face with no acknowledgement of the horrors you just witnessed ... to doing story stuff and then watching Takumi throw himself off a wall ... and then go rub your SO's face some more.

2 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Three Hopes activities are a bit more serious. There is the usual cooking stuff, but other activities are like taking care of the horses and weapon organizing and such. Tea time was replaced with Expeditions.

Ah, okay. I really can't judge 3 Hopes because I have no plans of playing it or watching it in depth, but I'll take your word for it and I guess it's a step in the right direction.

54 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

EDIT: Thinking about it, I wouldn't be opposed to the free-roam "My Castle"/"Garreg Monastery" aspects existing in FE if it were a bit more realistic to what an army on the move would actually experience. Having to hunt on and fish on location to keep your food supplies low, rationing out supplies, doing morale boosting activities that are still not out-of-touch with war, studying strategies might be fun. But what FE actually puts in is immersion-breaking.

Have you played FE Three Hopes? I personally like the camp where you can roam around as it helps you prepare your team for the battles ahead while upgrading different facilities that can help give access to better forges, for example. 

Edit: I just realized you answered this.

Edited by Icelerate

I don't get what's so wrong about the life simulator stuff. It's all optional and just gives players more content to do if they choose to do so. I'm personally happy with it and will be having with it. Also cleaning the rings is no where near the face rubbing in Fates.

What I'm more interested in is the gacha system, where rings of characters that are not in the game exist. Personally excited for that since we get HQ art of all the older characters!

23 minutes ago, Crubat said:

What I'm more interested in is the gacha system, where rings of characters that are not in the game exist. Personally excited for that since we get HQ art of all the older characters!

By the looks of it, for Marth's games at least, we'll only being getting those who got OA for SD/NMotE RIP us Archanae fans lol. I wonder how much art TH will that game also has like no OA of its characters.

As for the base, looks like a lot lol. At least it looks more akin to Fates' My Castle than the Monastery so hopefully using it wont be too integral to everything. Am in love with all the casual outfits I have to say. They may be a bit modern but hell I don't really mind.

Not gonna look too much into it since I have to get up for work in like 2 minutes but I am excited.

Also DLC wtf. Nice to see we're getting a Tiki emblem.

2 minutes ago, Azz said:

By the looks of it, for Marth's games at least, we'll only being getting those who got OA for SD/NMotE RIP us Archanae fans lol. I wonder how much art TH will that game also has like no OA of its characters.

I'm hoping it's not just marth's games, I'm really hoping we get sacred stones since there are some characters that just don't have HQ official art in the internet. We'll have to see