Favorite Unit+Emblem Pairing

EliWitch

What is your personal favorite Unit+Emblem pairing? Are they underrated or the best possible pairing? Post your favorites here to share with the community! Also, please mark spoilers for late-game rings. 

To start, I like to use Citrinne and Byleth. Byleth provides her with Thyrsus so Citrinne can have a much larger attack range for a non-mounted unit. Instruct isn't the most helpful because it increases Mag and only assists magic users, but I think the ring's extra stats and effects make up for it. 

Edited by EliWitch

Besides Louis + Sigurd, which goes without saying, FE Engage's break mechanic makes enemy phasing harder, so I put a big premium on finding units that can do it well. These are my faves so far:

Alfred + Ike:

Alfred has the full package to be a very strong enemy phase tank. He's fast enough to not get doubled a lot, has great defense stats, and his class provides movement, a damage reduction special, and two weapon types. 

Ike becomes extremely abuseable as a result - he can run into a giant pack of enemies and tank everything for a huge Great Aether. A lot of physical attacks will just tink thanks to his ability, laguz friend, and high defense, which lets him eat magic attacks with relatively high res and laguz friend while not getting doubled (unlike Louis)

Diamant + Eirika

Eirika provides him with strong player phase without needing to engage, and the engage and/or swap provides extra sustain for him to give him the complete package to be a very strong enemy phase unit with Sol. His huge build lets him wield a blazing Tomahawk very very well.

Chloe + Leif

Can work with any multi-weapon juggernaut but Chloe is well positioned as your first flier with good growths and easy access to Wyvern, and she benefits a lot from Leif's bonus stats, including Build. Leif provides a huge enemy phase ability with Adaptable.

Probably some dodge tank shenanigans you can pull with Yunaka, but I also like the power that these characters can deliver in terms of cleaning out enemies on enemy phase.

Edited by virtu333

Lyn Alcryst is pretty busted. It gives him the much needed speed. He pretty much always doubles and because of alacrity he never gets hit back usually. Also you gain the extra 10 tiles making it 20 in total range for the Astra bow skill but on top of that, Luna from his personal skill can also proc every hit in it too, making it do even more damage. 

I surprisingly used Yunaka with Lucina. I have pass on her from theif. I have her a pair of boots I found in one of the later mid chapters to increase her range more. With dual assist+ she pretty much can assist from anywhere, even with enemies blocking her path because of pass. 

This next one isn't an emblem but just something fun. I invested in Anna as a warrior. I have her S Rank Clause bond ring, so bows have+1 range. With her magic attack and the radiant bow she destroys. Also has good str too. Dual assist on her too also makes her really great as warriors are the only back up that can use a bow. 

Diamont Ike is also nice. Especially if you already have arm shield+ inherited and vantage. 

My only experience so far is on Maddening, so a lot less is viable and I've only ever been really satisfied with a few. 

Warrior Boucheron + Sigurd

Sigurd can make just about any unit great, but the reason I think this pairing works so well is because +5 mob ferment and Momentum gives Boucheron, a bulky unit with middling offense, enough power to snipe a troubling enemy and get the ORKO. I only wish Maddenjjng wasn't so tight on SP, because Speedtaker on a powerful Override is giving you multiple stacks.

Warrior Boucheron + Lyndis

I never thought I'd take Sigurd off Boucheron, but, well, iykyk. Lyndis is a great partner for my speedy, tanky boy. I'm unsure if Alacrity will proc with Vantage even though I'm running both, simply because Boucheron never drops into Vantage range. With Speedtaker, there isn't a single enemy that he cannot double. He can solo a whole path alone. Absolutely insane. 

Great Knight Louis + Edelgard

Thanks to being a Lance/Axe Great Knight, Weapon Sync+ is always in effect save for when using Failnaught, something only used for fliers or hitting extra long range (effective 9 threat range is really nice.) Louis can now hit hard enough to get some OHKOs and is tanky enough to be an impenetrable physical all.

Cupido Fogado + Lucina

This one has been surprising to me, but I love how it is shaping up. Assuming I can ever get enough SP for Weapon Sync, that's a guaranteed +5 on all attacks. Furthermore, this man has a pretty nice Magic stat (and finally a unit I feel can put my three Spirit Dusts to use) giving the Levin Sword a viable home. This also allows him to melt armors. Great Dual Assist range and Bonded Shield is already a great skill, but is especially nice on those turns he's offensive output isn't required and there are some troubling enemies who could potentially get a few KOs.

There are a few more, but they're more of what you'd expect, like Michaiah + Ivy.

30 minutes ago, Xylaugheon Daily said:

Warrior Boucheron + Lyndis

I never thought I'd take Sigurd off Boucheron, but, well, iykyk. Lyndis is a great partner for my speedy, tanky boy. I'm unsure if Alacrity will proc with Vantage even though I'm running both, simply because Boucheron never drops into Vantage range. With Speedtaker, there isn't a single enemy that he cannot double. He can solo a whole path alone. Absolutely insane. 

Your Boucheron can double Wolf Knights?

2 hours ago, Xylaugheon Daily said:

I'm unsure if Alacrity will proc with Vantage

Aren't both mutually exclusive? Alacrity requires initiation on the user's part, whereas Vantage requires the opponent to initiate.

Timerra + Ike, has yet to die on a map for me. Great defense and res and speed, and Ike gives her full weapon triangle. 

Yunaka + Corrin, avoid tiles at will, draconic hex debuffs plus knife poison really weakens those beefy enemies. 

Anna!Eirika, though honestly any mage knight would do well I imagine. Eirika gives you a magic wind sword and being a cav unit boosts your engage art damage by 50%.

Fogato + Sigurd, momentum adds a lot of damage when you add 14 move to the mix

Lyn!Ivy has been a dream. Ivy is so fast and deals so much damage, and alacrity insures she never faces retaliation on PP. She is just amazing.

Ike!Timerra is also quite strong. I feel like I have gotten significantly blessed with my Timerra because she is insane. Her prf class skill works well with Ike being bulky and if it procs when she is doing great aether, everything dies.

1 hour ago, Xylaugheon Daily said:

34 speed wielding a Tomahawk after getting five kills, yeah. At least for now. Still midgame. About to do 16.

I can sort of see it. Ring, Speedtaker, food buffs, tonics, inherited Spd if you didn't burn the SP on something else before you got Lyn (I went with Hit +10 because axes. >.>) -- There's quite a few sources of Spd.

Actually took my Lv. 12 unpromoted Boucheron to Ch. 14 not too long ago because of all the lancers. Picked him over Panette more out of stubbornness than anything. He did work. Eventually. Left side was a bit messy with the cavalry rush early on. Thankfully enemies seem to really want Lyn's 1HP clones dead.

If anything did work though, it was Lyn's Engraving on a Killer Axe. lol I originally thought to give that axe to Panette because of her personal skill, but again stubbornness made me stick with Boucheron. Also in hindsight, I think I could've just given her a heavier axe because 25 Str is silly.

I’d like to add Panette+Ike. Blood Fury and Wrath make an excellent combo to make her a tank while raising her crit rate the more damage she takes, not to mention that she ends up with 37 Str at level 20 bond. She’s a killing machine no matter what phase of battle.

I used Corrin on Ivy. The dragon vein for fliers is an AOE healing zone and the Quality time passive is nice so it's been fun using her to heal up instances where theres a lot of chip damage on everyone. I'm sure some people would rather use her offensively, and maybe it's more optimal. But this was also a great and easy way for me to grind supports for her since I really wanted to read them. Oh, and I had canter on her, so that she could exploit Corrin's debuffing passive to chip away at a boss and move out. 

I also really liked Byleth on a sage Pandreo. Mine had amazing magic and speed growths, but he was much more physically fragile than Ivy, so I preferred to have the extra Thrysus range on him so he could safely snipe things from afar.  

This wasn't functionally amazing or anything but I ran Micaiah on Mage Knight Alear for a laugh and it was pretty funny throwing him out into the middle of nowhere with Nosferatu equipped and everything he didn't manage to dodge he could heal himself right back up. 

Edited by ricostel

Merrin + Lucina

Did you folks know that Chain Attacks with Knives also inflict poison??? 😮

This combo trivializes some of the late-game bosses, even on Maddening, no joke. Very easy set up and stack any chunky enemy full of poison like this, letting your other units abuse the extra damage.

On 1/26/2023 at 8:49 AM, BloodRonin said:

I surprisingly used Yunaka with Lucina. I have pass on her from theif. I have her a pair of boots I found in one of the later mid chapters to increase her range more. With dual assist+ she pretty much can assist from anywhere, even with enemies blocking her path because of pass. 

And yes, anyone in Wolf Knight or either of the two Thieves with Lucina is good honestly. Knives with chain attacks are crazy good.

Edited by DaveCozy

Pannette + Lyn:

Pannette's stupidly high strength turns Astra Storm from a long range poking tool to the "delete that enemy in particular" button. Also, her speed is just high enough to double most things on Normal Mode, so Alarcity can clear out most of the nastier threats.

Chloe + Sigurd:

Movement buffs and canto on a flier can completely break some maps, as I can attack a far away threat with a javelin then hide in a lake. Also, brave lance is fun!

I mentioned these recently in a different topic but for me personaly what worked:

Chloé + Sigurd

You could really put here Sigurd + anyone, because Canter is just that great of an ability. The reason I put Chloé here is that she was my main carry and when I ran into annoying enemies or groups which were usually static I just send her in, did some damage or kill a certain unit and then got away. This might be reason why people tend to give this ring to archer units, but for me it worked better on Chloé since she ignored terrain and could use hand axe or javelin.

Yunaka + Lucina

Giving a backup to a unit with dagger is great. Unfortunately I dont think you get the bonus damage in to first attack she chains into, but you at least apply the poison for the next attack on that unit. Also with Lucina ring Yunaka chained almost every attack. In the end you can probably use any unit with dagger for the ring, in my playthrough it ended up being Yunaka.

Anna + Tiki

If you need gold, do this. First Anna can be a really good unit, you just need to spend time investing in her since you get her bit underleveled and Tiki's bracelet is great for that since it improves growth rates. But Anna pasive trigger is based on Luck and Tiki's bracelet gives +10 to luck. I believe if you combine that with certain classes for Anna you could probably get to around 50 luck on her.

Edited by Speedy

On 1/27/2023 at 10:15 PM, DaveCozy said:

Merrin + Lucina

Did you folks know that Chain Attacks with Knives also inflict poison??? 😮

This combo trivializes some of the late-game bosses, even on Maddening, no joke. Very easy set up and stack any chunky enemy full of poison like this, letting your other units abuse the extra damage.

And yes, anyone in Wolf Knight or either of the two Thieves with Lucina is good honestly. Knives with chain attacks are crazy good.

Oh! Really? I didn't know, and now I have to reconsider my team ahah. I just decided, one or two chapters ago, to de-bench Fogato, to give him Lucina ring and having a really helpful Cupido. BUT, if you tell me that chain attack with dagger apply poison...Maybe I'll rebench Fogado, ahah. Lucina might go to Yunaka that case. I happen to tend to apply poison to a lot of enemies on certain maps, so it could be really useful.

I like Rosato and Eirika. It gives him all weapons on the weapon triangle, and its handy to have a high movement flyer who can intercept and one shot those annoying demonic beasts. 

Something similar with Diamant and Leif. He's got all three physical weapons and he automatically switches to the one best suited to the situation once attacked.

Louis and Sigurd because of course.