Would you consider resetting ring RNG tainting the rules of an iron man run?

Ⱥstra

3 hours ago, if... said:

You're basically cheating the systems put into the game, so I would say yes that would taint it. Most of the DLC stuff also doesn't sit right with me. I actually like the randomness of the bond rings since they make every play through the game more unique.

I ended up agreeing with most of the replies here and reset the run. I like that one at least has to work for the strong DLC rings and the rings themselves are of course fun and interesting.  I do not like how a huge amount of resources are forced into ones inventory however. I also just find it questionable, since to me it drastically reduces resource management, an entire layer of strategy in the fire emblem experience. You can go into chapter 5 with forged silver weapons and a +4 engraved Levin sword, its pretty silly.

I think that the gatcha mechanic having game changingly powerful rings was a poor game design. When I first saw the mechanic, and it was just a different arrangement of stats, I thought it was innocuous enough. Everyone can get rings, and the differences between them were small stat bonuses. 

But once I saw that they had Dire Thunder and Wind God and other powerful abilities, I changed my mind.

If Dire Thunder is a mechanic I should be able to rely on, then I should be able to get consistently. If Dire Thunder is not a mechanic I should be able to rely on, then I should not have randomly achieved access to it. 

In a game where they changed growth rates to fixed growths to minimize randomness, this design decision seems very silly. 

Given that sentiment, I think that rigging the rng for the rings that you want is fine in a normal run. They are a mechanic in the game that you could feasibly have if you were lucky (I pulled an S ring on my first ever pull lol), so having access to them is not "cheating." However, I feel like in an ironman run, it feels like resetting for better RNG is basically The Thing that you don't do in an Iron Man lol