Which Fire Emblem game would you like adapted to a movie/TV show?

3 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I remember thinking of an anime adaptation ofย Sacred Stones. Each episode would have a focal character, while still telling part of the story. So the first episode, "Eirika", could show her relationships - with her brother, father, Tana, and Lyon - while ending on the invasion of the castle, and her flight away with Seth. The "Ross" episode could show a boy who lost his mother while his father was off to war, inspiring him to get stronger, fight gor jis town - and, eventually, join Eirika. The "Selena" episode could show how she found favor in the Emperor's eye and worked up through the ranks, then switch over to her refusal to give Myrrh her Dragonstone back, and eventual death at Ephraim's hands. Not every character would get their own episode, but I think you could tell the whole story - with plenty of new backstory and side information introduced - in about 24 half-hour episodes.

If we don't have a cast of technicolor hairstyles, would that even be recognizably *Fire Emblem* anymore? I don't think see how toning down or removing one of the series' most notable visual cues would help it "stand out" to mainstream audiences, who have a wealth of fantasy narratives at their disposal.

It is slightly difficult to not make technicolor hair look ridiculous in live action. Which precisely why Thracia 776 is the best Fire Emblem to adapt into live action, as everyone in the game has realistic hair (Silesia? Huh? Never heard of it).

12 minutes ago, Jotari said:

It is slightly difficult to not make technicolor hair look ridiculous in live action. Which precisely why Thracia 776 is the best Fire Emblem to adapt into live action, as everyone in the game has realistic hair (Silesia? Huh? Never heard of it).

I get that, but I'd be more worried about the show looking "boring" or "non-distinct", than "ridiculous" or "over-the-top". At least something goofy-looking is getting butts in seats, to then judge it on its merits. They could do this without technicolor hair, yes, but I'm not confident they would in practice. Plus, it's hard to envision a Marth with anything but blue hair not looking chronically "off".

Also, this is Selphina erasure, and you know it.

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I get that, but I'd be more worried about the show looking "boring" or "non-distinct", than "ridiculous" or "over-the-top". At least something goofy-looking is getting butts in seats, to then judge it on its merits. They could do this without technicolor hair, yes, but I'm not confident they would in practice. Plus, it's hard to envision a Marth with anything but blue hair not looking chronically "off".

Can you point to a serious live action drama series with bright green or blue hair. This isn't a "I win the argument" statement, genuinely I want to know has anyone tried it. The closet I can think of is A Clock Work Orange where bright pink and purple hair was in vogue among old people. But even that is depicted as dyed and not natural as in Fire Emblem, a medieval setting where it's a lot more incongruous. At the very least they'd go for darker shades, I think.

Also, this is Selphina erasure, and you know it.

I apologize unreservedly.

20 hours ago, Jotari said:

Can you point to a serious live action drama series with bright green or blue hair.

No, I cannot. And that's the point. That's part of theย Fire Emblemย flair that would help this series stand out among all the other adaptations running about. It serves as a visual "hook" to potential newcomers, while also conveying aesthetic fidelity to longtime fans of the series.

20 hours ago, Jotari said:

At the very least they'd go for darker shades, I think.

That's basically whatย Awakeningย did. I wasn't in love with the "toning down" of a lot of hair colors, but it wasn't the end of the world. If they can give Marth blue hair that's distinctive, yet subtle enough to seem grounded in a "gritty, realistic" setting, then I guess that would be fine.

No, I cannot. And that's the point. That's part of theย Fire Emblemย flair that would help this series stand out among all the other adaptations running about. It serves as a visual "hook" to potential newcomers, while also conveying aesthetic fidelity to longtime fans of the series.

Well that's the question that can only be tested by execution. Has it never been done before because it's unworkable, or because it's so cutting edge no one's ever thought of it? I struggle to think how it wouldn't look like a cosplay convention though.

Now that I think of it, there was a Tarazaka Revue theater adaptation of Revolutionary Girl Utena, which is a series where I think the technicolour hair is even more fundamental to it's style (though Utena does very heavily straddle the lion if serious drama). I can't remember exactly how they handled it though. Will Google later.

Edited by Jotari

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2023 at 11:57 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Iย 

If we don't have a cast of technicolor hairstyles, would that even be recognizably *Fire Emblem* anymore? I don't think see how toning down or removing one of the series' most notable visual cues would help it "stand out" to mainstream audiences, who have a wealth of fantasy narratives at their disposal.

Coloured hair its an anime thing but I dont think It's part of Fire Emblem flair much more than any other anime. The trailer shows that the characters are recognizable even though It looked a bit goofy because of low cash. With a supposed good production they would look realistic and good. Saying that you would look unrecognizable and the same means that all real life people look boring and equal, which is obviously not true. Though I understand that at the beginning It could be weird seeing the anime characters we are used to, looking like real people since everybody imagine them in realistic version differently, but its a matter of getting used.ย 

Edited by genesis