Any Ys fans here?

RibsChirino

4 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Yeah i am not a fan of the ending either as i mentioned up, however i can think of 2 reasons:

Reveal hidden contents

1. Ys 8 happens in the middle of the time line. Dana is never mentioned in the games that happen after Ys 8 in the timeline that were released before Ys 8 - They had to erase her/write her out. Not to mention with her here they would've never been able to add any other Heroine - she's too popular, according to polls the fan fav. Ys character.

2. Tritheism lore. Ys 7 started it and Ys 8 continues on it. While the Ys games are not as connected as Trails, their are big lore connections between games. 

Spoiler

I didn't mind the idea of Dana replacing the tree and becoming the new goddess of evolution; I would've liked to see Dana be in other adventures, but, very early on in the game, I learned online that female main characters in Ys games are essentially Bond girls and I made my peace with the idea that that wasn't going to happen, and I figured that Dana taking the tree's place and choosing to watch over evolution with a far gentler hand than the mass-murdering Tree of Evolution would be a fitting conclusion to her character arc. In other words, I liked Dana becoming the new goddess of evolution; it was the Ys universe turning out to be a dream and the Lacrimosa being necessary to keep her from waking that I didn't like.

I see. I had never played Ys 7, so Maia came completely out of nowhere (and I suspect her sudden appearance in 8 would still feel out-of-nowhere even if I had played Ys 7).

3 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:
Spoiler

I see. I had never played Ys 7, so Maia came completely out of nowhere (and I suspect her sudden appearance in 8 would still feel out-of-nowhere even if I had played Ys 7).

Spoiler

Even with Ys 7 Maia kinda felt out of nowhere ngl.

The Tritheism introduced in Ys 7 is honestly pretty minor and doesn't play a bigger role - Ys 8 is the game that solidified the Tritheism, and the Tritheism arc isn't over yet.

27 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:
  Hide contents

I didn't mind the idea of Dana replacing the tree and becoming the new goddess of evolution; I would've liked to see Dana be in other adventures, but, very early on in the game, I learned online that female main characters in Ys games are essentially Bond girls and I made my peace with the idea that that wasn't going to happen, and I figured that Dana taking the tree's place and choosing to watch over evolution with a far gentler hand than the mass-murdering Tree of Evolution would be a fitting conclusion to her character arc. In other words, I liked Dana becoming the new goddess of evolution; it was the Ys universe turning out to be a dream and the Lacrimosa being necessary to keep her from waking that I didn't like.

Spoiler

Dana most likely appears in spirit orb form at the finale of Ys 9, alongside several other figures from Adol's past.

Nice to meet you @Shrimpy -Limited Edition- always great to meet more Ys fans!

Falcom has had a ton of composers come and go but one thing is sure: They never disappoint! Haven't played a single Falcom game with bad music yet. The music preview for Ys X is phenomenal so I know that it'll continue the tradition of killer OSTs!

5 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Should i rain on your parade?

By all means haha you don't like Trails? It'd be a first for me, I mean finding someone that doesn't like them, all the people around me and my community love them to death, some even have them as their favorite RPGs of all time.

Thanks for joining the thread Shrimpy ❤️

17 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:
Spoiler

Dana most likely appears in spirit orb form at the finale of Ys 9, alongside several other figures from Adol's past.

Spoiler

All the characters that appear from the past in Ys 9 are made of Alchemy from Adol's memories/experiences. That includes the bosses like Wormy or batman

5 minutes ago, RibsChirino said:

By all means haha you don't like Trails? It'd be a first for me, I mean finding someone that doesn't like them, all the people around me and my community love them to death, some even have them as their favorite RPGs of all time.

I....I have a complicated history with the series.

A few years ago i was part of the "love to death" squad, and some of the games are still some of my all time fav. games...

But i also dropped the series quite a few years ago and what i once loved i really hate now and try to keep a big distance from.

I could go into why if you want, but i'd rather not poison a Ys thread with my Trails hate 😉

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

Well up to you, I don't mind hearing an abridged version of your journey with a game or series. I'm also one of the few people alive that don't care at all about spoilers but I know I'm a tiny speck of the minority here haha and I still avoid them just to have better first time reactions as a content creator (I'm a full time streamer).

I'm not gonna lie, I'm rather curious what happened. Maybe I'll ask you later if I remember once I start playing them, which could be in the next few months 😛 or maybe I couple years HAHAHA

(I offload most of my game choices to community votes with the ocasional "executive decision" game that I'm gonna play no matter what)

I've seen people talking about the upcoming Ys X; have there been any trailers or anything for it? I admit that I hadn't been paying any attention to Ys news since I wasn't very interested in Ys IX: Monstrum Nox, but up until I saw people talk about Ys X in this forum, I didn't know that a Ys X had even been announced.

@Shrimpy -Limited Edition- Thank you.

It's a bit saddening to see Ys pursue the "Viking game" trend that a lot of franchises have tried to follow for the past couple of years (and, incidentally, I was already getting sick and tired of Viking and Norse Mythology-inspired media around the time that it became a trend in video games, so I'm really sick and tired of it now), but otherwise, the game looks really cool.

It's reminding me a lot of Wind Waker: the island archipelago, the grappling hook, the use of a ship as a main mode of transportation, etc., and I really like Wind Waker. The two-character combat system looks like an interesting evolution of the party-based action combat the previous games had, and it's oddly reminding me a bit of Spirit Tracks. Adol looks younger in this trailer than he did in Ys VIII, so I'm guessing it takes place earlier in the series (or rather, I would be guessing that if I hadn't already found out online that the game apparently takes place shortly after Ys II).

Yeah Nordics takes place after II and before Celceta, so Adol is 17 years old here. The two character combat system looks really fun and the combat cinematics are very eyecatching and energetic, love the feel of it!

I don't mind the nordic/viking setting that much cuz it seems to retain the colorfulness and anime goodness of Ys, and the music from the preview is really good as well.

And yeah it is coming out this year in just a few more weeks in Japan. No timeframe for localization but I'd say at least 1-2 years before we get it.

11 minutes ago, RibsChirino said:

I don't mind the nordic/viking setting that much cuz it seems to retain the colorfulness and anime goodness of Ys, and the music from the preview is really good as well.

Oh, I do think it looks good, and it looks like a more imaginative take on Nordic-inspired fantasy than most 'Viking games'. I'm just saying that it doesn't stand out to me like Ys VIII did; Ys VIII stood out as really imaginative: a fantasy RPG on a deserted island that has dinosaurs on it, while Adol has dreams of a woman who was part of a lost civilization from the age of dinosaurs. Granted, "Stranded on a deserted island" and "island of dinosaurs" are old tropes, but they were definitely not a trend when Ys VIII released.

19 minutes ago, RibsChirino said:

And yeah it is coming out this year in just a few more weeks in Japan. No timeframe for localization but I'd say at least 1-2 years before we get it.

And at least 3-4 years before the initial localization is fixed.

I make that joke, but I bought Ys VIII long after the redone localization and I likely wouldn't have even known about it if I hadn't seen people talk about it after it had been fixed.

34 minutes ago, RibsChirino said:

This is Nisa and Falcom we talking about. Nothing happening before 2025

12 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

And at least 3-4 years before the initial localization is fixed.

...they got Durante nowadays don't they. Atleast it shouldn't be a buggy mess like initial Ys 8 was.

Ys games don't take anywhere near as long to localize as Trails games do, because they have normal or even conservative amounts of text, whereas Trails has an astromical amount of text. (I vaguely remember something along the lines of Cold Steel 3 or 4 having more lines of text than the entire Harry Potter novel franchise).

Edit:

Ah, here it is.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

Yeah, it'll prob be a while, but I can wait, I'm a completionist so I usually spend 100s of hours on the games I'm playing and I'm drowning in games haha

The next release that will make me drop what I'm doing to play that exclusively is going ot be Hollow Knight: Silksong

10 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Ys games don't take anywhere near as long to localize as Trails games do

Ys 9 still took close to 2 years

And the less i say about the mess that was Ys 8 localization the better.

And Trails loc times are not excuseable in this day and age, either. But i don't care about that series anymore so it doesn't matter to me.

Just now, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Ys 9 still took close to 2 years

And the less i say about the mess that was Ys 8 localization the better.

And Trails loc times are not excuseable in this day and age, either. But i don't care about that series anymore so it doesn't matter to me.

I mean if it's because of a writing quality decline in CS3 and 4, I might understand your attitude, but even then, I'd argue that the studio's ambition is to be respected and that no one does worldbuilding better.

Just now, Fabulously Olivier said:

I was referring to your newfound hostility towards the franchise.

You could've quoted the post that was talking more about that then the loc times post tho XD

All good, then, dw. I won't talk about it here/this thread much. Also it's not really newfound

Instead, you can all laugh at me losing against Galbalan!

12 minutes ago, RibsChirino said:

Hahaha I'm so curious, I hope I remember to ask @Shrimpy -Limited Edition-about the Trails stuff when I play it. I don't hate any games to be honest, probably the closest is Mighty No. 9, that's probably the game I like the least 😞 Inafune got me hardcore

The most I can really say without spoilers is that the worldbuilding remains stellar throughout, but the quality of storytelling becomes more Saturday morning cartoon esque with Cold Steel, and then gets worse with Cold Steel 3, and even worse with 4. 

But Sky, Zero, and Azure are such an incredible, beautiful ride that they need to be experienced. Preferably in release order.

Nice! The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is my 4th game in the queue, so hopefully it won't be too long... HOWEVER, I first have to beat Jump King, Crypt of the NecroDancer and The Legend of Dragoon, and beating means 100% Achievements/Trophies so it will probably be a bit haha

(this is based on the voting system I've been running on my stream for the last few years)

This is the current Top 10 queue:

image.png.3003513bd1402741398b6df95c33fcff.png