Why am I asking so many dumb questions?

Nozomi Kasaki

I kept asking so many dumb FE-related questions lately. Most notably, the ones where I am questioning things in FE lore like FE's air defense against wyverns and pegasi, as well as the absence of Serfdom in the series and the like. Sometimes, it feels like I am trying to apply logic to a video game like Fire Emblem when it is not even necessary for me to do so.

I fear that these questions may clutter the forums… and for some reason I couldn't stop.

Why am I like this? And why am I even asking this question right now…?

Edited by Nozomi Kasaki

As far as I'm concerned, the forums are pretty quiet recently, and having extra conversation threads is generally a good thing. If people aren't interested, then they generally just won't reply. So I wouldn't worry about it.

44 minutes ago, Nozomi Kasaki said:

Sometimes, it feels like I am trying to apply logic to a video game like Fire Emblem when it is not even necessary for me to do so.

Because as an series, FE is mainly concerned with the flashier stuff, like giant flocks of pegasi diving down on an troop of cavalry or something while neglecting to ignore some of the interesting stuff that would have gone on in everyday life (which is usually covered by the support conversations). To be fair, Three Houses, Fates, Shadows of Valentia, Three Hopes, and Engage does touch upon these aspects; but out of all of these, only Three Hopes regularly includes NPCs within an public setting

https://youtu.be/UHWikFpNsz8

There is no such thing as dumb questions. What you're asking about is worldbuilding, which is a subject that a lot of video games and any piece of media could stand to focus on better. It's true that at some point you're applying more logic to a game than the game's developers did, but not all media evaluation needs to be stifled because of "authorial intent". Us fans love lore and are happy to bring up what we know where it's relevant. Talk about how we would have done things differently. And it's not like anybody's threads are cluttering "more urgent" discussion. There isn't even a newly announced fire emblem game that we're looking forward to.

I don't think there's any problem with your questions, I wouldn't worry about how "dumb" they are or anything. But you don't feel like you can identify your motive for asking these questions?  Sometimes I feel robotic, controlled, or automated to an extent. But since being dumb is something many people probably feel insecure about (I know I worry about it), maybe because you think you are dumb, you're trying to find out if people think you are dumb (reality checking) by posting this.

Also relevant:

4 hours ago, Nozomi Kasaki said:

Why am I like this?

Because media analysis is fun. Sure taking these games too seriously, and asking hard logical questions about them isn't necessary, but most things you do for fun aren't necessary, and that is part of the fun of them.

And why am I even asking this question right now…?

Only you can truly answer this question, but to me it sounds like you are insecure over how you are being perceived in the real world, and project that onto the safety of the pseudonymous virtual world, despite indications that you are perceived positively on this forum. Then again I could easily be reading too much into things here, so take it with a grain of salt.

As for the Titular question, I haven't seen your questions as dumb, but interesting thought exercises, and nice topics for analysis and discussion, even when I don't end up contributing to them.

They're not dumb questions; you're doing fine. It's fine to ask questions, so long as you're really willing to listen to the answers people give. If you think you're overdoing it, feel free to step away for a day or two. But don't think of yourself as a "bother".

I've read your replies now guys. And I'll just say that thank you guys for clarifying that I am not bothering you folks.

I just don't want to be seen as an attention-seeker by the people in these forums. I really like Fire Emblem and I just want to have fun applying logic to the fantasy video game series like FE as well as thinking about things that should've been present or at least mentioned in the games and posting questions like "Does serfdom exist in Fire Emblem?" is my way of expressing that fun.

Edited by Nozomi Kasaki

11 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Because media analysis is fun. Sure taking these games too seriously, and asking hard logical questions about them isn't necessary, but most things you do for fun aren't necessary, and that is part of the fun of them.

Only you can truly answer this question, but to me it sounds like you are insecure over how you are being perceived in the real world, and project that onto the safety of the pseudonymous virtual world, despite indications that you are perceived positively on this forum. Then again I could easily be reading too much into things here, so take it with a grain of salt.

As for the Titular question, I haven't seen your questions as dumb, but interesting thought exercises, and nice topics for analysis and discussion, even when I don't end up contributing to them.

I agree completely with this whole reply.

I've read your replies now guys. And I'll just say that thank you guys for clarifying that I am not bothering you folks.

I just don't want to be seen as an attention-seeker by the people in these forums. I really like Fire Emblem and I just want to have fun applying logic to the fantasy video game series like FE as well as thinking about things that should've been present or at least mentioned in the games and posting questions like "Does serfdom exist in Fire Emblem?" is my way of expressing that fun.

Nah, don't worry, I also worry that I might look as an attention seeker here, specially when I start topics so no worries, it's normal, your questions are cool.

6 hours ago, Nozomi Kasaki said:

Come, and be welcomed.

Edited by Sidereal Wraith

20 hours ago, Nozomi Kasaki said:

I kept asking so many dumb FE-related questions lately. Most notably, the ones where I am questioning things in FE lore like FE's air defense against wyverns and pegasi, as well as the absence of Serfdom in the series and the like. Sometimes, it feels like I am trying to apply logic to a video game like Fire Emblem when it is not even necessary for me to do so.

I fear that these questions may clutter the forums… and for some reason I couldn't stop.

Why am I like this? And why am I even asking this question right now…?

I’m pretty new to the series so I asked my share of what some might call dumb questions too

I wouldn’t worry none about it. No bothers here

On 7/7/2023 at 1:58 PM, Zapp Branniglenn said:

There is no such thing as dumb questions.

Am I the only one who

Aside from that, the rest is absolutely true. Interest in a series is bound to generate strong questions about the setting, especially where the worldbuilding might have holes. In fact, asking questions about a topic is something I'd call the mark of a true fan.