Better heart seal for Kaden?

Alastor15243

So I had a bit of an epiphany about Kaden just now. He just might have the absolute rock-bottom worst heart seal option in the entire game.

Now, diviner is already bad enough for him, with his 10% magic growth and all. But it gets even worse. Because since his base class is genetic and only inheritable by his children, the class that his lovers and friends inherit is going to be that heart seal reclass option. Now, ignoring the Hoshidan women, who are pretty much a given for support options for any Hoshidan man, let's look at who he can give that diviner class to:

Hinata: 0% personal magic growth.

Keaton: 0% personal magic growth.

Charlotte: 0% personal magic growth.

Peri: 5% personal magic growth.

Hayato: Already has it.

Azama: 20% personal magic growth and mostly already has it.

And actually, no, screw "ignoring the Hoshidan women". Even if you look at them, every single last character with anything resembling a decent magic growth who can support with Kaden already has at least one of diviner's two promotion options, with exactly one exception: Felicia.

Felicia is literally the only character in the entire game, not counting Corrin, who would actually appreciate the reclass option Kaden gives them.

So... I think it's pretty safe to say Kaden's heart seal option is pure garbage.

But that just begs the question: If you were to change it, what would you change it to?

While there are already a few who can reclass into it, I'm going with Apothecary. That's because those reclassable units - Orochi, Azama, Oboro - typically pass their respective primary class onto potential support partners. Yukimura has Apothecary as his default class, but nobody can support him! I believe Hayato can get the class via S-ranking Orochi, and Azama has it be default. But otherwise, I think it's new to Hinata, Keaton, Charlotte, and Peri. Outside of the obvious "marry a Corrin with an Apothecary talent". It would also be new to Hana, Rinkah, Setsuna, Mozu, and Kagero, any of whom could potentially enjoy it (although Kagero already has Mechanist, while Setsuna and Mozu have Archer already).

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
Mistake.

4 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

It would also be new to Hana, Rinkah, Setsuna, Mozu, and Kagero, any of whom could potentially enjoy it (although Kagero already has Mechanist, while Setsuna and Mozu have Archer already).

I agree apothecary would be useful for the most part, but regarding Mozu, she already has access to Merchant, and marrying a ninja is all she needs for Mechanist, so this doesn't really do anything new for her specifically.

As for my answer, thinking on it a bit more, I think Oni Savage would be a nice option too. Partly because it's also an absurdly rare class, and partly because it gives him nice symmetry with Keaton.

30 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

As for my answer, thinking on it a bit more, I think Oni Savage would be a nice option too. Partly because it's also an absurdly rare class, and partly because it gives him nice symmetry with Keaton.

That would be cool too. It would combine interestingly with Kaden's more "fast and frail" default stats. I think it'd also be the only way for most Hoshidan women to access the class at all.

Admittedly, on the point of Keaton, I've expressed before the thought that his reclass should be Knight, rather than Fighter. As no Nohrian units, nor any units in the game, have Knight as their reclass. Still, they can be thought of as counterparts, as the "most defensive" classes on their respective sides.

5 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Admittedly, on the point of Keaton, I've expressed before the thought that his reclass should be Knight, rather than Fighter. As no Nohrian units, nor any units in the game, have Knight as their reclass. Still, they can be thought of as counterparts, as the "most defensive" classes on their respective sides.

Counterpoint: fighter Keaton is the only reason Laslow can reach his amazing +5 str/spd rally potential. Without that he could have one or the other, but not both.

11 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Counterpoint: fighter Keaton is the only reason Laslow can reach his amazing +5 str/spd rally potential. Without that he could have one or the other, but not both.

Ooh, neat strategy. Not one I've used before, but it sounds fun.

Anyway, I like the idea of Great Knight Keaton, since his "beast weakness" becomes redundant. And the Knight classes kind of mirror the bulkiness of his beast form. Although in that light, this too could be called redundant. Hm...

Truthfully, I'm fine with Keaton keeping Fighter, so long as somebody gets Knight. Beruka, maybe? Or Charlotte? Just hate seeing the class have so few users in the game where it finally becomes... kinda good.

7 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Truthfully, I'm fine with Keaton keeping Fighter, so long as somebody gets Knight. Beruka, maybe? Or Charlotte? Just hate seeing the class have so few users in the game where it finally becomes... kinda good.

Honestly, maybe Arthur? The bulk might be nice for avoiding one-shots from his terrible luck? Cav is probably better for him though just because the class and skills are better.

Also there actually is someone who can reclass to knight: Scarlet.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Honestly, maybe Arthur? The bulk might be nice for avoiding one-shots from his terrible luck? Cav is probably better for him though just because the class and skills are better.

That would be cool! Having him put on a whole suit of armor, then trip on a pebble and fall over, would be well in character. And he can bring his Axe rank into either promotion. Yeah Cav is better, but Cav has always been good.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Ah, good catch. I was looking just at the Conquest recruits, so I missed her. I will have to remember this for two chapters of my next Revelation playthrough.

Oh, speaking of which - Ryoma canonically disguises himself as a General while in Chevre. Ergo, he should have the Knight promotions as reclasses.

• 5 weeks later...

Honestly, Peri and Elise come to mind for worthless heart seal options. The former has 0 magic growth, and no one she can give it to makes good use of it either. The latter... well, it's the exact opposite of what her stats are meant for.

On 7/23/2023 at 9:17 PM, Alastor15243 said:

Too bad she's practically Birthright exclusive.