Good Engage Characters/Supports

Since the announcement of Engage everyone expected the characters to be one note. Other games, Awakening/Fates, which were accused of one note characters had a couple great examples of characters or supports (Ricken/Henry B support or Nyx overall). Does Engage have any secretly amazing characters or supports?

So far, most of Zelkov's are kind of entertaining. Etie is an bit of an bitch. Yunaka is so paranoid that it actually undermines the actual reason why she's doing it.

The only great ones that I've seen is between Pandero and his sister, and the ones between Fogado and his retainers

5 hours ago, Armchair General said:

So far, most of Zelkov's are kind of entertaining. Etie is an bit of an bitch. Yunaka is so paranoid that it actually undermines the actual reason why she's doing it.

The only great ones that I've seen is between Pandero and his sister, and the ones between Fogado and his retainers

Pandreo and Panette is one of my favorites as well because it’s not a happy-go lucky kind of interaction, the likes of which we see too frequently. Rather it’s a brother and sister who both have different perspectives about their parents despite both of them knowing what they did. And how can they resolve their differences together, that to me stands out.

Ivy with Timmera and Panette are entertaining but it’s just played up for laughs. Nothing more.

Alfred and Celine as well as Ivy and Hortensia were really good Supports. Actually, Ivy and Hortensia have a lot of interesting Supports. Ivy's essentially got Camilla's backstory but had a realistic reaction to it instead of it being an excuse for her being a creepy fanservice yandere and the peeks "behind the mirror" we get of Hortensia's true self make her a lot more compelling than she seems at first glance too. On the men's side, a lot about Alfred takes on a whole new meaning once you realize what's going on with him.

As for Celine, everyone jumps to the whole "tea" thing with her. A lot of her supports DO mention it, but I liked that behind her cheerful exterior she's really quite pragmatic with quite the patriotric streak. And while we're on the topic of flanderized characters, Alcryst is a much better take on the "low self-esteem" archetype than Bernadetta and Marianne were.

For non-nobles, Yunaka's already been mentioned but I really loved everything about

Spoiler

Veyle.

And say what you will about how the DLC was implemented or executed, but I think Fell Xenologue gave us some good characters too (particularly the Dragons). The new Supports also seemed more in-depth than most of the base game ones, though you may disagree on that.

---

So... yeah, the cast/ supports as a whole may not be as fleshed out as in Three Houses, but there are still some diamonds among both categories. That includes Alear by the way, I wasn't expecting them to be as compelling as they wound up being and they're easily my favorite Avatar in the series to date (and among my favorite characters to boot).

Rosado and Merrin is a good one. Its not exactly deep or important, but its very amusing and the voice actors are clearly having a lot of fun with it. 

Keeping on the Rosado train I think her and Hortensia have a pretty decent support since it delves into them being old friends, and the duty of royalty to keep up appearances despite their personal feelings. 

Alcryst and Celine have already been mentioned. Its quite good with them confiding about each other about their fears for their respective older brothers. The support doesn't confirm Alfred's fate like that of Celine and Alfred, but it does shed some light on his condition and how Celine frets over it. 

Alcryst and his retainers generally have sweet, wholesome supports where its spelled out how close they are with each other. 

Citrinne and Yunaka suffers from a very awkward ''Its good that you're revealing that secret I want to know....but for now I'm leaving!'' moment, but otherwise its a nice support showing both Citrinne's fiercer side and Yunaka's past. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone feel like Griss is a fantastic character surrounded by a mediocre story? His story is incredibly tragic, as we find out in the DLC his entire personality in the main game is a front so as not to appear weak so the "family" that he loves won't abandon him. There are a few characters in the game that go beyond surface level and I find extremely interesting as it's obvious the writers put a lot of effort into them, so why is it all anyone can talk about in this game is how much they hate the story?

2 hours ago, Xander said:

Does anyone feel like Griss is a fantastic character surrounded by a mediocre story? His story is incredibly tragic, as we find out in the DLC his entire personality in the main game is a front so as not to appear weak so the "family" that he loves won't abandon him. There are a few characters in the game that go beyond surface level and I find extremely interesting as it's obvious the writers put a lot of effort into them, so why is it all anyone can talk about in this game is how much they hate the story?

Unfortunately that’s the problem with modern FE games at least imo. Even three houses couldn’t escape the stigma of great cast of characters but questionable to bad story. At least Crimson Flower and Azure Moon was interesting enough despite both of them not perfect by any means.

• 3 weeks later...

Its hardly the best support out there but I think Clanne and Hortensia's support reflect pretty well on both of them. Despite being timid Clanne doesn't let Hortensia walk over him while still being careful to be friendly. Hortensia in turn is pushy but doesn't bully Clanne into bending over to her, and expresses how that would be a sad and pathetic of her. 

• 1 month later...