Least favorite character translations

The "original" is hardly a good choice to argue for, as Marth could very well, and is very likely to have been, an Engrish conversion of Mars, the obvious intention of the name.

Not to mention that there are, with many Engrish titles, names "decided" which later contradict themselves.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ogma at least has a cultural tie to it (And is probably how Oguma would be pronounced, anyways. Japanese have silent u's in a lot of words.)

I think a lot if not all the names are like that. Narbal and Narvarre would be pronounced the same for example, as there is no distinction between r and l or b and v.

Chainy and Xane would be the same, as X and Ch are interchangeable, "iny" and "ne" are the same. . . etc.

Pronunciation wise, the English names should be pronounced the same as the Japanese ones. (Obviously there are some exceptions, Bord to Saji for example XD)

Navarre has historical ties while Nabarl doesn't, regardless of pronunciation. I think the only reasons Navarre wasn't used as the name was because either: They didn't know, they didn't want to use yet another real life location, or because that's what his name was spelled in Brawl.

Chainy and Xane would be the same, as X and Ch are interchangeable, "iny" and "ne" are the same. . . etc.
Xane is a horrible name, and is inexcusable, even with the Japanese language.

I think a lot if not all the names are like that. Narbal and Narvarre would be pronounced the same for example, as there is no distinction between r and l or b and v.

Pronunciation wise, the English names should be pronounced the same as the Japanese ones. (Obviously there are some exceptions, Bord to Saji for example XD)

X and Ch aren't interchangable...

X = z sound

Ch = obviously ch sound

X and Ch aren't interchangable...

X = z sound

Ch = obviously ch sound

Ahh sorry for that, my bad.

Personally, I think Xane is a good name. For me it has that *mysterious* ring to it, that the character is supposed to have. Chainy just leaves me going "wtf? Chains?" . . . But maybe I'm the only one XD

Ahh sorry for that, my bad.

Personally, I think Xane is a good name. For me it has that *mysterious* ring to it, that the character is supposed to have. Chainy just leaves me going "wtf? Chains?" . . . But maybe I'm the only one XD

Don't be.

Ch -> X is valid.

X at the beginning doesn't always mean a 'Z' sound; I actually think the Z came later because people couldn't pronounce the X in a certain way.