at last, time for the premium gacha roll
>only 1 SR
well this is pretty su-
>it's waifu
hooooooooooooooo

6 hours ago, Tonton said:

compensating for something

Question, question.

For you non-native English speakers, do you think spending extensive time on the internet and posting on various discussion boards helped a lot with your English, or do you think you came in already knowing enough to properly communicate? In the case of the former, how much do you think it helped, and in the case of the latter, do you think your English levels have stagnated or do you think it's improving, even if only by a little?

14 hours ago, Robert of Normandy said:

I was confused what this represented at first then I saw plesioth's boxes and suddenly I knew

as a wise man once said: fuck plesioth

oh oh also thanks acacia, thanks dusk!

Edited by Freohr Datia

1 hour ago, Fruity Insanity said:

Question, question.

For you non-native English speakers, do you think spending extensive time on the internet and posting on various discussion boards helped a lot with your English, or do you think you came in already knowing enough to properly communicate? In the case of the former, how much do you think it helped, and in the case of the latter, do you think your English levels have stagnated or do you think it's improving, even if only by a little?

i'm not sure
when i first came to the internet, i already had a lot of confidence in my reading ability, and i'm not sure if my writing improved meaningfully since then, as far as nuances go
there's of course quite a bit of vocabulary -- especially memes and slang -- that i picked up in the past... eighteen... years...
eighteen years...

25 minutes ago, TheEnd said:

i'm not sure
when i first came to the internet, i already had a lot of confidence in my reading ability, and i'm not sure if my writing improved meaningfully since then, as far as nuances go
there's of course quite a bit of vocabulary -- especially memes and slang -- that i picked up in the past... eighteen... years...
eighteen years...

Not OldMan for nothing.

It's something I was thinking about since I've only really inhabited the English side of the net, and as far as I'm aware, it's the largest side of the net, too, which is why I've never felt the urge to branch out. But I figured for the non-native English speakers, constant exposure to the language, even if only via casual/net lingo, would help them learn, since exposure is the best way to learn a language. I mean, I can say that watching anime/playing Japanese games as much as I have has definitely facilitated my Japanese learning.

Like I've occasionally posted on Korean and Japanese side of the net, but not enough to say that they helped me in any meaningful way. Not to mention kanji is a bitch so reading can be a bit slow at times. .-.

And I don't even know if discussions boards like reddit or forums like Serenes Forest exist on the Japanese side of the net. I mean there's 2chan, but I don't know if there's anything interesting there. I only ever occasionally lurk on 4chan. And even then, it's usually just the FE general thread.

1 hour ago, Fruity Insanity said:

Question, question.

I think I already came with a good basis so I don't think i can comment much

I did still learn from it, mostly internet slang, but for me most of my knowledge was built from classes and games for reading/writing and tv series for listening

2 hours ago, Fruity Insanity said:

Question, question.

As like the others, I already knew English well enough by the time I began to largely use the Internet.

That said, the Internet is pretty much the only place I ever use English. Even though I travel to the US like once or twice a month, it's just mostly speaking with people in Spanish over there, heh. But well, that's not to say I haven't learned anything new, even if it's the occasional word and slang.

It might sound weird but my English is better irl than I might show it in most of my posts.
The reason is that I'm much better in writing on paper than in typing on my laptop.
I have serious issues to type (find the correct letter) and to think about what to type at the same time.
The result is that I make several typos and I even often forget words which brake the context.

Also I'm not familar with slang and chat language yet because SF has been my first online forum and I never ever bothered with chats before.
I'm still getting used to the online world.
I still don't know some emos.

Oh, and congrats to Freohr!

Edited by Reimu Hakurei