District 9

Esau of Isaac

I think that, in modern film, the PMC is taking the place of the nazi as "completely unsympathetic mook whose violent, screaming death you are allowed to enjoy."

Hmmm....

No. I posit that the PMC is replacing the nazi as the go-to completely unsympathetic bad guy in media today, though.

It's almost like you've said that before...

I think that, in modern film, the PMC is taking the place of the nazi as "completely unsympathetic mook whose violent, screaming death you are allowed to enjoy."

Grand, isn't it?

MNU is less a PMC and more of a soulless money making corporation with uncaring foreign investors that exploit the native populations of poor countries for their own greed and profit

But the military force it employs is a PMC.

Screw the rules, I'll posit all I want. Persecute me at your own risk.

Esau already took my reply - the PMCs employed by MNU are distinct from the MNU flunkies - it's not explicitly stated out in the movie, but made fairly obvious by things such as logos, equipment, etc.

Screw the rules, I'll posit all I want. Persecute me at your own risk.

Esau already took my reply - the PMCs employed by MNU are distinct from the MNU flunkies - it's not explicitly stated out in the movie, but made fairly obvious by things such as logos, equipment, etc.

XD It's not a rule that you can't say something similar in another thread. I was just pointing it out as humorous.

oh.

Well, I guess it's because PMCs are the ultimate bad guys for a script writer. Nation-less,religon-less,ethnic-less evil bad guys? Why not?

Have you seen Inglourious Basterds yet?

I loved District 9. It almost reminded me of TNG or DS9 in that it used scifi as a medium to talk about a completely non-scifi subject (something that shows on the new "SyFy" network seem to only be able to do with seizure inducing amounts of saccharine). Except it was better than any Star Trek ever was. I saw it twice and loved it both times.

Have you seen Inglourious Basterds yet?

Tarantino is one of those guys who can genuinely say "screw the rules" and still make a good movie. As he does many times in Inglourious Basterds.

District 9: Alien shrimp clicking noises. Annoying South African man. Annoying man gets infected with alien. Annoying man is annoying.

WHAT WAS SO GOOD ABOUT IT!?

WHERES THE DEEPER MEANING!?

I liked G.I. Joe better. :\

Tarantino is one of those guys who can genuinely say "screw the rules" and still make a good movie. As he does many times in Inglourious Basterds.

Call me crazy, but Inglourious Basterds might have just replaced Pulp Fiction as my favorite Tarintino film.

1195970568513ij6.jpg

Call me crazy, but Inglourious Basterds might have just replaced Pulp Fiction as my favorite Tarintino film.

I can't agree with this. I thought the overall dialogue of Inglourious Basterds was absolutely terrific, and better than Pulp Fiction, but it had scenes that constantly fucking dragged on. Aside from scenes with Butch, which were themselves still rather interesting, there wasn't one real mentionable point in the movie that I felt was extraneous or tiring. Inglourious Basterds, on the other hand, had a habit of drawing dialogue out and making you just want it to end. Excepting the parts involving Hans Landa, the longer talking bits could be irritating. Especially the bar portion with Hicox really dragged on, until it became more serious.

And this isn't coming from one of those "I WANT EXPLOSIONS DERR" guys.

I wont. I didnt like Pulp Fiction that much. Inglourious Basterds was Reservior Dogs quality and that is saying something. Man that movie was brilliant!

1195970568513ij6.jpg

Of course I know I'll get flamed for that but I did not enjoy District 9 at all. I understand the real-world applications of the movie, yet they totally failed to captivate me. Two different kinds of movies, I just thought G.I. Joe was MUCH more entertaining.

District 9: Alien shrimp clicking noises. Annoying South African man. Annoying man gets infected with alien. Annoying man is annoying.

District 9 has a less "deep" meaning than G.I. Joe? You're a funny guy.

1195970568513ij6.jpg

Of course I know I'll get flamed for that but I did not enjoy District 9 at all. I understand the real-world applications of the movie, yet they totally failed to captivate me. Two different kinds of movies, I just thought G.I. Joe was MUCH more entertaining.

I think you are insane.

District 9 has a less "deep" meaning than G.I. Joe? You're a funny guy.

not quite

Two different kinds of movies, I just thought G.I. Joe was MUCH more entertaining.

Better, not deeper, etc