*is a newbie at the series*

HyperChibiAbsol

I need some assistance with Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword. *ish a newb* x-x;

What characters would you guys all recommend for the playthrough. Like the best stats to make one of the best teams possible for the game?

Also, I'd like to know if there're any suggestions on keeping people alive in the game. I tried a playthrough on the ROM version but because I'm so used to playing Pokemon, I leveled up all the starting characters rather equally (some I didn't use as much because they appeared too frail. Example would be Serra or Nil.)

The last thing I would like help with (I think it's more the emulator I'm using, but...) I've saved on the game and on the "Save Game" option on the VisualBoyAdvance, however, when I closed out of the system after getting to chapter 15 and re-opened the program, my save file was gone! Now... This hasn't been the first time this has happened to me. It's happened for my Pokemon: FireRed ROM aswell.

If any of you can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

First of all, even though there are three lords to use in this game they aren't mandatory to use unless if you want to access the other chapter where. If combined total of lords => 50 (Subchapters)

In my opinion

[spoiler=Character Opinions]

Characters to use

Marcus (his base stat is dominant through the game, use him to weaken enemies or rescue units he only falters against near endgame bosses)

Hector (Pretty much considered the dominant lord in this game with high str and def) Kent (balanced cavalier in every stat except luck)

Sain (High strength and speed cavalier except for skill) Nils/Ninian (Dancer is a good class to deploy but depends on preference of your playing style.)

Lucius (Despite him being a glass cannon and light magic user (low durability high damage) he's great as a magic user)

Priscilla (She has high movement so she can keep up with your team) Raven (Great stats except for luck the only merc in this game)

Oswin (Awesome base stats use him if you want a knight/general)

Harken (Recruitmenthe's better than Karel since the hero class offers better weapon variety and he doesn't have to rely on crits)

Legault (He should replace Matthew since he's more durable than him)

Pent (Awesome sage with great base stats and weapon rank)

Fiora (Good base stats for a pegasus knight)

Geitz (Good bases and weapon ranks for a warrior)

Athos (Makes your endgame easier especially with the Luna tome)

Characters you should probably use.

Florina (Even though she has good growths she will be stuck with slim lance and iron lances due to her low con till her stats get better)

Doracs (He pretty good though he has speed problems)

Bartre (He has low base stats and takes a while to be usable)

Guy (The only thing is his strength can lag even though he's capable of doubling a lot of enemies.)

Matthew (Mandatory for Hector Hard Mode so he can steal a silver card, otherwise you could use him if desired)

Rath (His problem is he joins late)

Heath (Same with Rath he joins pretty late but is quite good due to he can fly)

Serra (Problem is her movement is small and wont be able to catch up with the rest of your team)

Erk (Pent usually have better stats than him but use Erk if you want another mage)

Wallace (He rejoins late and pretty mediocre stats except for DEF)

Eliwood (He's mediocre in every stat so he doesn't excel in anything)

Rebecca (She's fast though like Guy her strength can lag)

Dart (He would be preferred if he didn't need an ocean seal which is found in the desert or secret shop for 50K)

Hawkeye (The better axe user to use due to his bases) Louise (She's a back up archer and is decent)

Lowen (He's a tank cavalier with high HP and Def but average everything else)

Canas (He's the only and decent dark magic user in this game)

Isadora (Even though she has low strength, con, and hp she can double and weaken a lot of enemies)

Vadia (Good bases and weapon ranks and also flying helps)

Farina (Great pegasus knight if willing to pay the 10,000 fee)

Karel (Decent bases but limited weapon variety and reliance on crits)

Jaffar (Good bases though shouldn't rely on lethality skill.)

Renault (Backup bishop despite his low magic)

Characters to not use

Wil (He's pretty bad the only thing is he has greater strength growth than Rebecca)

Nino (Joins late and gets killed by almost everything when she joins despite her high growths)

Karla (Joins late and bad stats)

The VisualBoy Save Game command creates a savestate that can be loaded with the "Load Game" command. You have to save in-game by pressing whatever key represents A on the actual GBA(usually Z with VisualBoy) when the in-game prompt to save appears.

Edited by Sidney Crysby

I'd say only take a team from no more then 8 characters max and only give them all the exp.

it might make the first few chapters a bit harder, but after that it'll all a piece of cake.

I'm against using Marcus, or at least early on. he will only waste your experience.

The characters that are considered 'best in the game' are Matthew, Raven, Hector, Sain, Kent, Lowen, Marcus, Guy, Erk, Eliwood and Florina. If you're playing Normal Mode, Raven and Guy aren't as good since they get stat bonuses on HM, but they're still solid choices. As for healers, Serra and Priscilla are good. I suggest you support Guy/Matthew, Eliwood/Hector and Sain/Kent. There are other good supports, but these ones are easy to build, fairly fast and give good bonuses.

Level your main lord. FOR GOD'S SAKE LEVEL YOUR MAIN LORD. I neglected Eliwood for my first 7 run and Eirika for my first 8 run and I regretted it massively.

For characters, honestly, make favorites. If you're just getting into it, figure out who your favorite (not necessarily *best*) characters are and hog the XP and deployment slots on them. You've all the time in the world to experiment with the other dudes later.

Finally, unlock 16x, get Canas, and level Canas to 20 and promote him and level him to 20 again. Save the Luna tome when you get it. That's the most reliable way to kill the end boss, in my experience. As with the above, time to mess with the formula once you know what's going on.

I'd write more but I just woke up.

EDIT: Scratch the third paragraph. I had no idea Athos could use Dark Magic all this time. >>

Edited by Integrity

Just try out guys that you get during the chapters and use them more often if they get good stats. You'll get decent promoted units throughout the game, like Marcus, and you won't be crippled as long as you get these guys. You should be training your three lords, as they will be forced into many chapters.

Actually, listen to Interceptor there. The boss bonus is a straight number, not a percent - in other words, Eliwood gets 30xp for a kill, Marcus gets call it 5. Eliwood would get 70xp for a boss of that level, and Marcus would get 45. It's +40 any way you slice it.

On the other hand, many bosses are promoted in chapters where promoted units are very uncommon, so it's not an entirely fair story - Eliwood's actually probably going to get 100 for the kill in that scenario - but if you want to use Marcus later feeding him boss kills helps.

Really, Marcus is kind of a failsafe if you seriously get screwed over in the early chapters - you really don't need him in a first playthrough.

In my opinion, take your time. It's your first FE game, and you really get screwed if you rush in with pallies and stuff. Use Oswin and his invincibility and slowly work your way throught the game.

Some awesome units to consider are Hector, Raven and Sain/Kent. All the mages are good, but don't waste your time babying Nino unless you find that sort of thing fun.

Don't promote your units at 10. It sounds good now, but it won't when you have a level 7 Hero Raven who can't scratch a thing.

20's technically speaking optimal, but really any figure north of 15's acceptable.

Edited by Furetchen

Don't promote your units at 10. It sounds good now, but it won't when you have a level 7 Hero Raven who can't scratch a thing.

20's technically speaking optimal, but really any figure north of 15's acceptable.

It depends on the unit and the game, really. I haven't played fe7 so I can't say for sure, but just saying there are some units in other games (@TC: in case you ever play them) for which it is actually a decent idea before 15. Not that I ever have outside of fe5, though. ( :angry: 10/1 Homer better than most mage/sages in other games. stupid fe5 promo bonuses and 5 PCC.)

For the long run, train up Sain/Kent (either one, though if both look good then raise both), Raven (he is a god in this game), Hector (he is a god against anything which doesn't have a sword), Erk, Lucius, and Priscilla (epic healer). Eventually you'll get Pent, who's completely ridiculous, Harken (though you have to fulfill some conditions, can't remember now though) and Geitz (get a combined level of 50 or more for your lords by the desert chapter). All of the characters listed are pretty solid, and then there's Eliwood (meh beginning, but overall he's OK), Marcus (just don't use him too much. Maybe for some troublesome stuff), Oswin (wall + doubles), Canas (not too bad, though Guiding Rings become a bit spread out), Matthew (good utility until about Dragon's Gate, where Legault joins), Lowen (not bad, a good tank) and Jaffar (Pretty good with a Killing Edge due to Assassin). All of these units are pretty good.

To get Harken you move really slowly (either open only a couple doors or kill a couple promoted enemies, go too fast and you miss him). Go at normal speed and you get landed with Karel. There's not a crippling difference without HM bonuses, but Harken's still easily better.

Training Matthew is good, but even if you don't Legault comes later with impressive stats for a thief.

To get Harken you move really slowly (either open only a couple doors or kill a couple promoted enemies, go too fast and you miss him). Go at normal speed and you get landed with Karel. There's not a crippling difference without HM bonuses, but Harken's still easily better.

Training Matthew is good, but even if you don't Legault comes later with impressive stats for a thief.

The requirements for Harken differ depending on which chapter you end up doing. If you end up with Kenneth as the boss, then you can only kill one promoted enemy maximum, or else Karel will appear at turn 10 instead of Harken if you kill 2 or more. If Jerme's the boss, you can open no more than 3 doors before turn 10; opening 4 or more makes Karel appear.

Either way, he appears at turn 10. Talk to him with Eliwood, Marcus, Oswin, Isadora, Hector or Lowen to get him on your team.

Training Raven then recruiting Harken pretty much wins you the game. Make sure you have Hector trained up to take down the last few bosses of the game. Don't want to spoil it too much for you, since it's your first time and all. Being Eliwood Normal mode, Oswin is also a legendary unit. Nothing physical can hurt him (there are exceptions) and he has so much HP, magic attacks will hardly phase him. Oswin, Hector and Raven are frontline units. Use them well.

Edited by Raven

A core group of really strong characters is better than a lot of fair to good characters.

I think.

It's provably better. This is why trying to beat the game with low deployment is so easy, since after a few chapters you have a bunch of invincible gods.

It's much, MUCH easier with a small core group. I've had Invincible Neimi ORKOing everything with swords because I had her promoted before chapter 10 due to, er, abuse. A well-rolled 20/20 Hector can solo the endgame to the final-final boss, essentially.

There you go.

(Damn, that's why my GKs are having an easier time in Eph HM than my normal team in NM was...bar chapter 11, that was a bitch)

Well, theoretically, the endgame chapters can be harder with a small core team since you lack flexibility, but a 10/20/15 zerk!Ross can deal with anything. anything. including WTD and Hand Axe vs. magic.

7 and 10 have a little difficulty if you have the wrong endgame team, but 8 and 9 you can slap any ragtag bunch of 5 dudes in and win if they've all been used throughout.

I'm currently recording a playthrough. :awesome:

I've only recorded the prologue, though, and this shit takes a helluva lot of time to upload. :facepalm:

Also, if you want to save mid-fight, go to the menu (pressing A on an empty space or a "waiting" unit) and choose the "Suspend" option, IIRC. You can also save when in-between chapters, when the game asks so.

If you simply want a savestate, choose "Save Game" in Options, and when you want to resume, choose "Load Game" and click you save.

Hope I helped ;).

Edited by The Eye of the Tigrex