World Cup 2010

burning_phoneix

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the World Cup?

• Spain
    • Brazil
    • Netherlands
    • Argentina
    • France
    • Germany
    • England
    • Uruguay
    • Italy
    • Portugal
    • Other (Please mention in post)

Anyone else excited about the coming World Cup in South Africa?

If you want information, here's an excellent OP on NeoGAF:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396429

That pretty much covers everything you need to know about the World Cup but for the lazy here's the groups

GROUP A

South Africa

France

Uruguay

Mexico

GROUP B

Argentina

Nigeria

South Korea

Greece

GROUP C

England

USA

Slovenia

Algeria

GROUP D

Germany

Australia

Serbia

Ghana

GROUP E

Netherlands

Denmark

Cameroon

Japan

GROUP F

Italy

Paraguay

Slovakia

New Zealand

GROUP G

Brazil

Portugal

Ivory Coast

North Korea

Group H

Spain

Chile

Honduras

Switzerland

Kick off is ON June 11th at 4:00PM South African local time (which is GMT +2)

Personally, I'm tipping the Netherlands to grab their first title. Yes, I'm serious.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

North Korea they have the easiest group by far

Spain seems to be the favourite but I see where you're coming from with Netherlands I'd be shocked if they didn't get to the quarter finals.

EDIT: Whilst I doubt they'll win it its probably worth watching Australia based on the last world cup.

Edited by mikethfc

Frankly after seeing Spain barely scrape by Saudi Arabia (3-2) and South Korea (1-0) with both of them being won by last minute goals....I don't seem them break their jinx this year.

Robben was injured in a friendly just yesterday and their awaiting the test results now. He's a huge huge player for Netherlands and I'd be sad not to see him at the world cup. :sob:

REALLY hope France emulate 2002. DIRTY CHEATIN' FECKERS

I also want all Man United players to be horrifically injured, and I want Ronaldo to die. Kewell will probably die from 'calf exposure' or something.

And here's some food for thought; last time North Korea was in the World Cup ('66) Pele had his legs broken against Bulgaria and his team failed to get past the group stages.

Edited by Furetchen Arrowroot

Ireland came so close ro knocking them out :( Athough on the subject of France cheating Zidane's headbutt was awesome :D

and I want Ronaldo to die.

Seconded

And here's some food for thought; last time North Korea was in the World Cup ('66) Pele had his legs broken against Bulgaria and his team failed to get past the group stages.

Yeah Ebgland also won it the last time that happened:P but Brazil are in the group of death so lightning might strike twice.

Frankly, I really doubt they can make it out of the first round. :lol:

Anyway,some of these World Cup commercials are fecking awesome here's three of the best:

World Cup Star imagine the future should they bring glory to their country (Rooney, Ronaldo, Cannavaro, Drogba, Ronaldhino and Ribery all feature)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idLG6jh23yE

Stars Wars Mos Eisley Cantina scene with a world cup flavor feature Daft Punk, Franz Beckenbuaer, David Beckham and....Snoop Dogg?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zd_khk6zXo

Edited by burning_phoneix

Finally (cause I'm allowed only 2 videos per post):

The Australian national team's secret african training camp, with the Socceroos practicing against a team made up of Cheetahs, Ostriches, Rhinos, Elephants and complete with Crocodile defenders and goalkeepers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V_ie_VPxx8

I'd say be France get knocked out in 1st Round and be done with all this shit. I'm so ashamed this team represents my country. When you get beaten by CHINA's RESERVE team (the regulars were in China playing their championship, they sent young players instead), you know how a joke the current "Bleus" are. :facepalm:

And for all who resent about Ireland : in my country's name, I give my sincere excuse. Please don't hate my country because of a bunch of morons who calls themselves a football team.

Edited by AceNoctali

And for all who resent about Ireland : in my country's name, I give my sincere excuse. Please don't hate my country because of a bunch of morons who calls themselves a football team.

I don't hate France because of that. I hate France because I'm English;)

Nobody here seems to hate France, only their football team.

I mean...unless they all planned the handball together? :unsure:

I f*cking knew it;)

What I meant was most people are hoping they get knocked out because of that.

The Brazilian press said that is was good for us that Drogba couldn't play. What a bunch of bullshit.

As much as I like Brazil, and want it to win, I don't really think it can. My guess is either Netherlands or Italy Spain

Argentina. It's just too good this year. Maradona himself has said that Lionel Messi might be better than him and I already regard Maradona as the greatest soccer player of all time.

I f*cking knew it;)

What I meant was most people are hoping they get knocked out because of that.

It just seems that people hate the ENTIRE squad for something only one of their players did, which I think is kinda unfair.

Argentina. It's just too good this year. Maradona himself has said that Lionel Messi might be better than him and I already regard Maradona as the greatest soccer player of all time.

Messi's Genius can be negated by Maradona's complete lack of coaching skills. :awesome:

I mean, I sympathise with Maradona but....No Javier Zanetti? WTF? :mellow:

I was gonna make a thread like this :(

Anyways, here are my predictions.

Group A: Looks like a tough bracket. I think France and South Africa will advance, Maybe Mexico instead of France.

Group B: Looks like easy wins for Argentina, but I don't know enough about the other teams to guess on the 2nd team.

Group C: England will probably make it, I don't know much about Slovenia or Algeria, it could be a tossup between USA and those two.

Group D: I think Germany and maybe Australia? Serbia has a lot of political unrest and idk about Ghana.

Group E: My guesses are Netherlands and Cameroon.

Group F: Italy and I don't know who else.

Group G: Brazil and Portugal

Group H: Spain, and the other teams all seem decent, I dunno who will be 2nd.

Also I really like these videos on the teams, they are very well written.

South Africa

There is one of these for every nation, just find them in the related videos thing

Edited by Core

I'm Welsh, so I don't really care who wins. I'd put money on Spain simply because they are favourites to win, closely followed by Argentina.

I don't really mind England. I'd be happy if they win their group (and they probably will). Wayne Rooney will be the key player, since he's the amazing striker from Manchester United, and all.

Host nation pride, I'm hoping for. Look at the link to the video I posted and you'll see why I thought so. I was reading a magazine yesterday, it listed the odds of some of the teams winning.

Brazil: 5:1

Spain: 6:1

Argentina: 6:1

England: 8:1

Netherlands:12:1

Italy: 12:1

USA: 60:1(lol)

So I'm thinking Brazil is more the favorite.

It just seems that people hate the ENTIRE squad for something only one of their players did, which I think is kinda unfair.

I'd say the hate can be justified if you see from the team's performance for the last past years point of view, instead of the act of a single player on a single match (even though I still feel sorry for Ireland). Seriously, being paid outrageous sums for pathetic performances like that match against China ? Quit the TV ads show-off and go back training seriously already !

Edited by AceNoctali

Players don't receive wages from the National team... :unsure:

My mistake, sorry. But the team manager do, on the other hand. And let's just say Raymond Domenech has a share of responsability in the poor performance of the team as well. Well at least, he'll be demoted after the World Cup. Now we'll see in the future if Laurent Blanc will fare better or worse.

lol Portugal, should have been grouped with the "Other" option. I really hope they don't even pass the group phase. Personally, I'm getting tired of this ALWAYS being the opening news in tv and everywhere else yeah I'm from Portugal and diss my own team. This nonsensical fever is somewhat used to pass the impression that everything is alright and will get fixed upon winning the world cup, it's sickening for me.

Other stuff, people should realize, mainly portuguese people, that Ronaldo doesn't play shit in his national team. Even Mourinho said that even if he actually played, even if it was at 100 Km/h, Portugal would stand no chance of winning. So I kind of agree that he should burn and die in a fire.

As for who's going to win, I'd like it to be Spain (would be like a punch in the stomach for portuguese on top of that). I haven't heard much of the other teams status (mainly because it's overshadowed and filtered so that Portugal's gets the highlight at all times) so I don't really know their strength. Other than Spain, maybe Italy.

Edited by Magna

The Netherlands, not only because I'm Dutch myself, but also because I think they're playing absolutely great at the moment. Also look at the results of our last practice matches: 4-1 against Ghana, 6-1 against Hungaria, without many problems. Maybe those teams aren't the cream of the crop, but those results definitely are worth mentioning. I would really be surprised if we wouldn't make at least the quarter finals (as someone else also already mentioned). It would, however, surprise me if Spain would get to the quarter finals if they keep playing the way they have done lately.

Holland all the way! :)