have you gotten a shiny?

geozeldadude

played several pokemon games but still no sign of a shiny. or maybe i've battled one and just didn't realize it at the time. i know the odds are pretty low, but just wondering if most people have gotten at least one shiny and how long it took to get your first.

I got some shinies right from 2nd gen. In 3rd gen, I got a shiny Taillow, Sandshrew, Zubat, Dodrio and Zigzagoon. Got one wild shiny Geodude explode in my face. Encountered a shiny Meoth, Glalie and Bagon in the Battle Frontier.

From 4th gen onwards, I've never found a shiny, not even when I tried chaining some pokémon. I guess it's to conpensate the unreasonable luck (and bad luck) I got in previous gens. :/

I've gotten one, a male Combee, out of a total of about... 6-700 hours of Pokemon play (on the ones with shinies in)? One of my friends who has played probably about half of that has also only seen one, a Spearow

They are ridiculously rare. 1/8192 doesn't sound that terrible until you consider that you're probably not seeing more than about 1 pokemon every 45 seconds at fastest, so you'll see one about once every 100 hours if you do nothing but fight wild pokemon endlessly. Since you don't, it's probably about one every 300 hours on average, give or take.

Not to mention, to have a 95% chance of seeing at least one shiny, you have to fight 24,540 wild pokemon. Good luck.

Since you don't, it's probably about one every 300 hours on average, give or take.

when you put it that way it makes me feel less bad about not having seen one yet. the stupid thing is i'm saving my master ball for if i do see one (am i the only one?), b/c knowing me it would either run off, roar, or i'd accidentally knock it out.

[edited to fix dumb error]

Edited by geozeldadude

G/S: Raticate

R/S/E: Whismur

D/P/P: Gloom, in the Safari Zone. . .but it didn't wanna come with me

HG/SS: Growlithe, and a Solrock, WHICH RAN AWAY IN THE SAFARI ZONE! :(

The total combined playtime of all those games is over 700 hours. It all goes to show that some people are luckier than others.

EDIT: Memory started working

Edited by eclipse

when you put it that way it makes me feel less bad about not having seen one yet. the stupid thing is i'm saving my premier ball for if i do see one (am i the only one?), b/c knowing me it would either run off, roar, or i'd accidentally knock it out.

Do you mean Master Ball? Premier Balls are equivalent to poke balls :P.

And looking at this thread, we either have

a: Lots of people who appease the RNG goddess

b: Lots of people who lie

c: The people on either end of the bell curve (given they're the most likely to post about their unusual experience)

d: Lots of people who play pokemon far, far too much.

Perhaps a combination of a, c and d with perhaps a touch of b.

whoops, yeah, that's what i meant. derrr. and i should know b/c i just caught groudon the other day after about 50 various poke balls. (was just trying to barrel through the battle, but after a couple of failed attempts i had to strategize and whittle down his accuracy first.)

Red Gyarados aside, I got a golden Geodude in Platinum (I believe it was one level away from learning selfdestruct) and a Pidgey clone Mamepato in Black.

The Mamepato was kind of lame at first, since it was simply a lighter shade of gray, but became sickly green once it evolved (:awesome:).

I've gotten a golden pidgey in fire red, it was the first pokemon encounter I had where I could use pokeballs.

other than that, no such luck getting any shinys

I have found none, except a shiny abra through chainig, but the ultraball failed and it left :/ oh and a zigzagoon i caught (chaining too). The rest were hacks i got. Shiny houndoom is awesome :awesome:

I've encountered shinies since the 3rd Gen. I believe the chance of encountering a shiny is 1/8192. IIRC, if you if breed a Pokemon from Japan and the U.S. in the U.S. copy, the chances increases to 1/2000.

Edited by UberLughFTW

I got a shiny Geodude and named it goldylocks. I also think I also got a zubat at one point. I don't have much luck when it comes to shinies. Poke'rus however...

Also, the obligatory red Gayrados (sp?).

My friend got a shiny Rayquaza by retarded luck. He used his masterball on Lati@s and he kept restarting due to lack of balls, and then bam. I was there. Even got Adamant Nature. dry.gif

I have never gotten a shiny except the Red Gyarados.

My brother, on the other hand, found a shiny Linoone and Swablu.

I'm the one who finds the rarer Pokemon though. Found a Heracross and Munchlax in the honey trees right after each other NewYearsEmoticon.gif

Other than the shiny Gyarados that I found at the Lake of Rage, I found a shiny Noctowl on Route 15 in my SoulSilver game. I did not RNG abuse or cheat to get him. I was simply strolling to get to Lavender when that happened. I also remember getting a shiny Ponyta in Crystal.

I also seem to find rare Pokemon a lot. I found a female Gible with a Naive nature in the Wayward cave(she also has Atk and Spd IV's of 30). I bred her with a T-Tar and traded the Gible egg to my Platinum game.

Nope. After playing through Silver(twice), Crystal, Ruby (twice), Sapphire (twice), Emerald, Diamond, and SoulSilver, I have yet to see one shiny other than the Red Gyarados.

Just my luck...

And looking at this thread, we either have

a: Lots of people who appease the RNG goddess

b: Lots of people who lie

c: The people on either end of the bell curve (given they're the most likely to post about their unusual experience)

d: Lots of people who play pokemon far, far too much.

Perhaps a combination of a, c and d with perhaps a touch of b.

Guilty of c) and d)

Anyways, don't feel to bad about not finding shinies. I, myself, find most of them uglier than their normal counterpart.

In playing Gold (multiple times), Silver (twice), Crystal (once), a little bit of Fire Red, and SoulSilver (not finished), I've only ever found one shining Pokemon (aside from Gyarados), a Shining Ho-oh in Gold (which was subsequently traded to Silver and then Crystal). Similar to IntegerZero's friend, I was having issues catching Ho-oh (without running out of balls or Ho-oh dying due to having a higher level Feraligatr and Gyarados) and kept having to restart. After 30 minutes to an hour of battling and restarting, I happened to switch Gyarados into the lead to try a different approach and proceeded to be shocked when I saw not one but two flashing circle of stars. Luckily, I managed to catch Ho-oh on that try. (Had I not, I probably would have been extremely pissed. Though, I guess I can be pissed now since the batteries have died in my Silver and Crystal carts (and possibly my Gold cart as well, but I never really cared about it)...)

I generally have crappy luck to begin with, so I guess I'm not surprised that I've only ever encountered one in however long I've been playing.

Edited by Lord Glenn