My Work. :)

eCut

@Acha: This is SUPER belated but thank you. (:

then a belated <3 to you too.

but anyways, awesome stuff again. cept, I feel like your take on Sue is a lot different than

what official arts suggest. o_o idk. Still cool though. Just... different.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Kitten: Oh, you~

@Acha: Thanks, again! :-)

And I totally won't disagree with you that my Sue isn't the most true to her artwork, haha. XD I wanted to make her my one kinda thing, if that makes sense! The only thing I followed the artwork for were her eyes~

Quite an update. I've been waiting to see what you did with my request. ^^ I especially like the evil guy.

Thanks you. ^_^

I had a lot of fun with the evil guy! It's not often you get to make people with spikes protruding from their shoulders~

The top of Sue's head is bigger than the rest, and that long strand is pressing on her face like she's getting an auto-slap

Alright, I'll work on it; thanks!

I've been wondering since I saw it, what's on the nomad's left (right OPV) shoulder? Shoulder pad? Squary quiver?

Haha, a pauldron, yes!

My take on Sue, for FE6A~ :

8-Sue_zps955045ac.png

Hmm, so many things about this irk me,

Firstly: I don't think the resemblance is remarkable which is something I think necessary when re-crafting an existing character.

The Leather shading is very nice though.

Secondly: The sacaen pattern seems quite rough to me? So you see what I mean? I feel like the angles could be ammended if you re-shaped them and then shaded it subtly without pillowing the lines.

The Face kinda looks like sue, but the 'asian' lids arent shaded adequately imo. It also seems that you've receded her chin into her neck, which i think is more of an issue in pose and angle of the body/head. It gives it a flat appearance without depth.

What I see a lot from you is sticking to diagonal lines in hair and I think it's something that you've either developed alongside or referenced from Sqrtofpi/NOE the thing is a lot of the time, that hair shading makes things look quite dithered (Which I think Pi has remedied if that's what you're indeed referencing).

There are massive streaks of perfectly verticle shading in the hair (around the level of her neck)

The hairband's trim/detail is shaded poorly. The collarbones kinda freak me out. Bangs on both sides, but far in particular make no real sense with the depth.

*too long*

I disagree somewhat. The bangs are the only part of the hair I don't particularly like(it's one of Sue's identifying features, so it should stay the same or similar enough to recognize).

The Face: TBH, doesn't look much like Sue to me either(but eCut said this is "her take" on Sue, so it's meant to have some liberties.)

As for the body, you're probably right about the tribal pattern, but the rest of the robe looks just fine.

But overall, it's still a very nice looking sprite.

Yeah, I definitely agree with the tribal patterns being not the best. I had a lot of trouble with them and redid them three times thus far. xD

I'm adamant about not really changing her appearance to make her look more like Sue though. I took creative liberties with her, which Eric knew about (he watched me make it every step of the way). I know it doesn't look the most like Sue but I wanted to redesign her my way. The only part that I followed the OA for were the eyes~

The people who I mostly reference is you and Jelly, not Pi (I've watched his videos before but I've never used his sprites as a reference). But now the diagonal shading works for me. Idk, shading my hair that way is something that feels natural to me and I no longer need to keep redoing hair anymore. I am sure it'll develop more and I'll try harder to not make it look so dithered but I can't imagine the diagonal shading will go away entirely. I don't mean to sound like I'm not accepting critique, it's just that it works for me. :P

I'll work on the headband as well! I am not quite sure what you mean by the bangs looking flat though. Could you elaborate please?

But overall, thank you for your critique. :)

@Nayr: Thank you as well!~

Edited by eCut

• 4 months later...

No updates since May? Go eCut~

I had an urge to sprite tonight for the heck of it, which hasn't happened in a while, so yeah... FE:A Tactician!

Tactician_zps40f83e70.png

All of the beautiful things that keep me from going to bed. I praise and curse you in the same breath. Good job, you dastardly dastard.

Hehe, thanks. ^_^

---

Now with 100% more literary work and cutting utensils!

Tactician_zpsda4fe387.png

I made him a pixel shorter (so now he is on-par with Mercenary, Shaman, etc.) and changed his palette to match the art a bit more (which hopefully has enough contrast).

Since colour limits suck, I went with a bronze sword-esque sword for him (which is also sort of fitting since your avatar starts with one ^_^).

The book kinda sucks though, but I've always been pretty bad with book-spriting...

animations or bust, miss eCut

Only thing I'd be worried about from a "strictly-speaking" point of view is how you've tied the trim colour to hair colour, but even then it's not like it looks awful with the skin colour as the trim.

Nice work, milady.

why do I always feel the compulsion to call you "miss" or "lady"?

Thanks Agro. :)
Yeah I agree, the way the palette is laid out is a bit silly; I could fix it by replacing the custom boot/glove/shirt colour with the skin tone but since it'll never be made hack-insertable (or sheeted), I'm not too concerned. ^_^'

And I quite enjoy the miss' and the ladies, hehe~!

because the sprites they're making are showcased in their games ergo they don't want to show them before they appear in screenshots.

I don't see why more people don't post the sprites after they're shown in screens, though; then people could still give suggestions and C&C and all that loveliness.

because the sprites they're making are showcased in their games ergo they don't want to show them before they appear in screenshots.

I don't see why more people don't post the sprites after they're shown in screens, though; then people could still give suggestions and C&C and all that loveliness.

Pretty much this. xD I don't sprite often anymore and when I do, it's more-than-often for my hack and I want them to be debuted in screenshots/in the hack.

If I sprite for the fun of it, then it is posted here (such as the tactician) but I don't sprite regularly so yeah, my topic rarely gets updated. :P

(I do like to think that my sprites are posted here after they're posted in my hack topic though. ;) )

Not really on the topic of eCut's stuff, but on the discussion of why things aren't posted in galleries as much: Galleries are like open season for sprite thieves, as well. Especially with the increasing level of better spriters (or so I hope), it simply becomes so much easier for people to steal rather than make their own work. That, and a number of people tend to receive/give crit over PMs, chatrooms, etc.

Not really on the topic of eCut's stuff, but on the discussion of why things aren't posted in galleries as much: Galleries are like open season for sprite thieves, as well. Especially with the increasing level of better spriters (or so I hope), it simply becomes so much easier for people to steal rather than make their own work. That, and a number of people tend to receive/give crit over PMs, chatrooms, etc.

Do people just message anyone to ask for critique over PMs? Or is there some kind of thing that would have to happen first?

Asking a friend to help out is pretty natural, isn't it? I mean, it's not like you have to butter somebody up for a favor or anything. It's just asking for a quick glance at something. </we're so good at staying on-topic>

Edited by · j e a l o u s y ·