The Last To Post Wins!

Darros

I finished watching the cutscenes for Xenosaga Episode III, and with it the Xenosaga series. I also read the translation of the Perfect Guide for extra credit. My thoughts:

Spoiler

Even though he doesn't become an active player until the very end, Wilhelm is a pretty interesting villain. The Perfect Guide says he was created by the collective unconscious (like chaos and Mary were) to preserve the universe, so really he doesn't have a choice in what he does. He's somewhat like Malos in that regard.

While watching I assumed that Kevin was the only Testament who cared about Wilhelm's goal, so I consulted the Perfect Guide. Kevin wants Eternal Recurrence to reunite with his mother and a not-dying Shion, Virgil wants Eternal Recurrence to affirm his past and overcome Febronia's death, Albedo doesn't care and just wants to be with Jr., and Voyager wants power and to avoid dying. As it turns out, Wilhelm doesn't care why people become Testaments as long as they help with his plans. With all these different motives at play, it's a shame we didn't get a whole rainbow of Testaments.

For someone who I thought would just be the villain of Episode I, Margulis outlives every other villain except T-elos, Kevin, and Wilhelm (and maybe Sellers, but we don't see what happens to him). Good for him! I guess Albedo doesn't die because he gets to be part of Jr. forever, which is the happiest ending he could have gotten.

As for the heroes, even with all of Shion's personal issues I never felt that she became unlikeable, and she doesn't side with Kevin for long enough for me to hold it against her much. The game can properly be called The Shion Show featuring KOS-MOS. Jr. still gets more lines than the rest of the party even without Albedo being a main villain, but that's partially because his evil dad is one of the main villains instead. And despite the entire series technically happening because of him, chaos doesn't really do much until the ending (aside from Episode II's intro I suppose). Alvis is kind of a more plot relevant version of him despite not being playable.

As some last comments, I liked seeing what really happened during the Miltian Conflict, I liked Virgil and Febronia's relationship, and they got rather trigger happy with the sacrifices near the end. But now the series is over and it probably turned out better than it could've been, what with it being cut down to three games. And even if KOS-MOS gave up the power of Animus to Nephilim during the ending, we can still make conspiracy theories about how she was somehow reincarnated as a Blade in Alrest's universe.

Edited by Lightchao42

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

Tfw every enemy tank you destroy get's replaced by 2

493648406456303628.png?v=1

Company of Heroes can be brutal sometimes...

scratch that, it's brutal every time

Edited by Shrimperor

54 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

I finished watching the cutscenes for Xenosaga Episode III, and with it the Xenosaga series. I also read the translation of the Perfect Guide for extra credit. My thoughts:

Reveal hidden contents

Even though he doesn't become an active player until the very end, Wilhelm is a pretty interesting villain. The Perfect Guide says he was created by the collective unconscious (like chaos and Mary were) to preserve the universe, so really he doesn't have a choice in what he does. He's somewhat like Malos in that regard.

While watching I assumed that Kevin was the only Testament who cared about Wilhelm's goal, so I consulted the Perfect Guide. Kevin wants Eternal Recurrence to reunite with his mother and a not-dying Shion, Virgil wants Eternal Recurrence to affirm his past and overcome Febronia's death, Albedo doesn't care and just wants to be with Jr., and Voyager wants power and to avoid dying. As it turns out, Wilhelm doesn't care why people become Testaments as long as they help with his plans. With all these different motives at play, it's a shame we didn't get a whole rainbow of Testaments.

For someone who I thought would just be the villain of Episode I, Margulis outlives every other villain except T-elos, Kevin, and Wilhelm (and maybe Sellers, but we don't see what happens to him). Good for him! I guess Albedo doesn't die because he gets to be part of Jr. forever, which is the happiest ending he could have gotten.

As for the heroes, even with all of Shion's personal issues I never felt that she became unlikeable, and she doesn't side with Kevin for long enough for me to hold it against her much. The game can properly be called The Shion Show featuring KOS-MOS. Jr. still gets more lines than the rest of the party even without Albedo being a main villain, but that's partially because his evil dad is one of the main villains instead. And despite the entire series technically happening because of him, chaos doesn't really do much until the ending (aside from Episode II's intro I suppose). Alvis is kind of a more plot relevant version of him despite not being playable.

As some last comments, I liked seeing what really happened during the Miltian Conflict, I liked Virgil and Febronia's relationship, and they got rather trigger happy with the sacrifices near the end. But now the series is over and it probably turned out better than it could've been, what with it being cut down to three games. And even if KOS-MOS gave up the power of Animus to Nephilim during the ending, we can still make conspiracy theories about how she was somehow reincarnated as a Blade in Alrest's universe.

People consider Shion unlikable? She's my 2nd favorite Xeno main character, I really like how her story was handled overall.

Spoiler

The ending of her and Jin separating in III was really heart wrenching to me, I was really sad when I seen that, and still am.

My GBA tier list:

cz4MrLG.png

For reference, characters in D are characters I'm neutral about; E is somewhat dislike and F is dislike. C is like a bit, B is liked, A is among my favorites, S is adorable and amazing, SSS+ is Florina.

I would not be surprised if more people will play as Jax just to end fights on this note.

But seriously, despite not really paying much attention to MK11 news, all the friendships are surprisingly creative and hilarious.

4 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

With all these different motives at play, it's a shame we didn't get a whole rainbow of Testaments.

Assuming Xenosaga had gone as planned, i don't think we would've gotten more than the four Testaments, seeing as the Testaments were very obviously inspired by the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Still though, it would've been nice to see how it all played out as intended. Especially Albedo as White Testament, he got shafted so hard.

And despite the entire series technically happening because of him, chaos doesn't really do much until the ending (aside from Episode II's intro I suppose). Alvis is kind of a more plot relevant version of him despite not being playable.

Heh, it's funny. If you put Alvis and chaos side by side, they could pass as sibilings. Wouldn't be surprised if Alvis was inspired by chaos' design tbh.

and they got rather trigger happy with the sacrifices near the end.

Jin's was the only one that really bothered me. I don't get what the point of his death was. Nothing ever suggested he was going to die.

And even if KOS-MOS gave up the power of Animus to Nephilim during the ending, we can still make conspiracy theories about how she was somehow reincarnated as a Blade in Alrest's universe.

Well if you want to look at conspiracy theroes, the KOS-MOS in Xenoblade 2 was appearently built by Shion and Allen.

EXmBuAwXsAEXtMh?format=png&name=900x900

And the final cutscene of Xenosaga Episode III appears to have a space elevator

EYAZM9hXQAAOmZ3?format=jpg&name=medium

Buuuuuuuuuuuut it could just be a sunbeam.

If Takahashi got the rights to Xenogears and Xenosaga though, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he tried to connect them all. He'd probably go the multi-verse route established in Xenoblade 2 just to keep things cohesive.

Unrelated to all of that but Allen Ridgley is the biggest chad in all of Xeno, wouldn't you agree?

4 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Tfw every enemy tank you destroy get's replaced by 2

493648406456303628.png?v=1

Company of Heroes can be brutal sometimes...

scratch that, it's brutal every time

Just light it on fire, it won't spawn more tanks then.

Spoiler
12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Jin's was the only one that really bothered me. I don't get what the point of his death was. Nothing ever suggested he was going to die.

I agree to some extent, but Jin regrets never being there for Shion when she needed him so I think his sacrifice was his way of trying to repent for it. Or at least that's what I think the developers were going for.

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Well if you want to look at conspiracy theroes, the KOS-MOS in Xenoblade 2 was appearently built by Shion and Allen.

I find this notable because XC2 KOS-MOS is based on her Ver. 1 design, but Xenosaga KOS-MOS doesn't consider Shion and Allen to be her creators until she's rebuilt into Ver. 4. On another note, it's offhandedly mentioned that KOS-MOS draws power from the Zohar, which makes me wonder if it has something to do with her being the only non-DLC Light Blade aside from Mythra (who similarly draws power from the Conduit). She also has detailed knowledge of how the World Tree was built, but I don't think that has an explanation.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Unrelated to all of that but Allen Ridgley is the biggest chad in all of Xeno, wouldn't you agree?

Oh yes, I wanted to mention that.

Spoiler

Especially since him convincing Shion to leave Kevin is the reason Wilhelm's plan failed, despite him accomplishing most of his goals up to that point. So basically, Allen saved the entire universe from being reset.

17 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I agree to some extent, but Jin regrets never being there for Shion when she needed him so I think his sacrifice was his way of trying to repent for it. Or at least that's what I think the developers were going for.

I find this notable because XC2 KOS-MOS is based on her Ver. 1 design, but Xenosaga KOS-MOS doesn't consider Shion and Allen to be her creators until she's rebuilt into Ver. 4. On another note, it's offhandedly mentioned that KOS-MOS draws power from the Zohar, which makes me wonder if it has something to do with her being the only non-DLC Light Blade aside from Mythra (who similarly draws power from the Conduit). She also has detailed knowledge of how the World Tree was built, but I don't think that has an explanation.

Spoiler
19 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

On another note, it's offhandedly mentioned that KOS-MOS draws power from the Zohar, which makes me wonder if it has something to do with her being the only non-DLC Light Blade aside from Mythra (who similarly draws power from the Conduit).

I'd imagine that it doesn't mean much but it could be the reason why she's the only non-DLC Light Blade aside from Mythra. She even has Zohar-shaped Ether Cannons. No more than a references but it's still nice to think about.

20 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

She also has detailed knowledge of how the World Tree was built, but I don't think that has an explanation.

It doesn't and iirc, she either can't access all the information or it's classifed and she won't tell even her Driver.

Since the artbook states that she was built by Shion and Allen, my headcanon here is that Shion and Allen weren't the same ones from Xenosaga. Instead, these versions were scientists living on Rhadamanthus (maybe they knew Klaus and Galea) and they built KOS-MOS and perhaps even T-elos. This would also suggest that Xenoblade 2 Earth had it's own version of Vector Industries. Core Crystals predate The Experiment so it's possible that KOS-MOS and T-elos had Core Crystals long before Blades were a thing and Klaus simply repurposed them as Blades. T-elos seems to know KOS-MOS as well even though a Blade wouldn't retain their memories. 

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

This 100%. Just wanted to say that. That is all.

Okay, I recruited a rotten apple. I also paid a visit to Uptaten Towers. Only change is a couple has moved in, after eloping. Hmm, a nice little tidbit I'd say. Gives more life to the game world. Specially since there's no reason to go back to Uptaten Towers. Not yet, at least. Although to my surprise I saw the inn is still functional. By a ghost, heh.

Anyway, everything done this side of the continent, I now made my way to Coburg, now ruled by Harry's brother, Wilbur. Though the real power behind the throne is Wilbur's mother, the Queen Dowager. Hmm, some drama might be incoming. Though that will be for another day.