Othin Plays FE13!

Othin

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you gain experience and such from 'bonus maps', such as DLc and Spotpass Battles? Or is it similar to the challenge maps in Path of Radiance, where no experience is gained and all gains/losses are unsaved?

Additionally, is it possible to play any of these maps multiple times? (To, for instance, gain multiple Demon Fighter class change items?)

Do you gain experience and such from 'bonus maps', such as DLc and Spotpass Battles? Or is it similar to the challenge maps in Path of Radiance, where no experience is gained and all gains/losses are unsaved?

Additionally, is it possible to play any of these maps multiple times? (To, for instance, gain multiple Demon Fighter class change items?)

Yes to both. You get Exp, and in the case of DLC maps, you also get items. And you can play DLC maps unlimited times per file. Seems you can also summon defeated SpotPass teams again to fight their teams repeatedly.

On both files, I first got Prince Marth, then Gharnef. Don't have any others yet.

Edited by Othin

On both files, I first got Prince Marth, then Gharnef. Don't have any others yet.

lol

Gharnef. His jealousy for the Excalibur tome lead to his death and now he can join u. What the hell is this world coming too?

I haven't actually recruited him yet, just got his SpotPass team. First time I got him, he appeared on the Ch1 map: the space was far too limited to fight off his two Sorcerers with their Slime spells and his three Dark Pegasi with the speed and power to one-round even Vake. Having just eight units available for the map to his ten didn't help, either. I sent him away and summoned him again, when he showed up on the Ch24 map with quite a bit more space and units to work with. First time on that map, I almost completed it, but I had forgotten about Gharnef's skills when I sent Sol in to finish him; he activated Vengeance and OHKOed Sol. I should be able to work around that on my next attempt, though.

First time I got him, he appeared on the Ch1 map: the space was far too limited to fight off his two Sorcerers with their Slime spells

The only other game I know that had Slime spells, was in FE2 that Dark Wizards could use. But it was enemy only.

Edited by リンダ

In this game, they're the only 3-10 range spell, and restricted to Dark Mages and Sorcerers. I saw an enemy that dropped one, so they're not enemy-only, although I forgot to actually kill that enemy to get it.

I think I'll dub this an information-gathering project. Any objections? No?

Returned to my Hard file and got through Ch9. Maybe it's just how I was playing, but that chapter took several attempts. Seems FE13 carries over the tradition of having reinforcements appear at the start of the player phase on the higher difficulty levels. More notably, even if the reinforcements are coming out of a fort, you can't block them: they'll just start in an adjacent space and kill your healer anyway. This, too, seems to be specific to the higher difficulty levels, and I don't think I like it. Blocking off reinforcement spawn locations is your best defense against them when they appear at the start of the enemy turn, and this just eliminates that possibility.

I also decided to try Lunatic for the hell of it. Fauder is unchanged, except I think he increased his Tome rank to A. For that matter, all Lunatic enemies have A rank in their chosen weapon type, and they're swinging Iron weapons at you when you're still messing around with Bronze. The Prologue is crazy: I had to have Frederick do most of the fighting in order to survive, and even then it was tricky. My first time playing through it, I wound up going through 9 of his Silver Lance uses, a bit more than I wanted to spend. I then tried Ch1, and after 10+ attempts, I still haven't beaten it. There are Myrmidons capable of one-rounding half your team, and they'll all kill you faster than you can kill them. I keep finding myself backing away while slowly wearing down the enemies, trying to get rid of the one with the Hammer so Frederick can avoid getting OHKOed but getting pushed into the upper-right corner. I eventually got rid of all of them but the boss, but from a position like that, I'm not even sure how I could kill him while keeping him away from my weaker characters.

Edited by Othin

Something I've been puzzled by, do you know what exactly counts as a "beast" for the Beast Killer weapon? Do Taguel and Griffon Knights count?

Or is Beast Killer just effective against horse riders?

...And do Pegasus count as horses?

Something I've been puzzled by, do you know what exactly counts as a "beast" for the Beast Killer weapon? Do Taguel and Griffon Knights count?

Or is Beast Killer just effective against horse riders?

...And do Pegasus count as horses?

Horses, Pegasi, Taguel, and Griffins are all counted as "beasts", and all are denoted by the horse icon.

So, finally which pairings did you do and what skills did you make the kids inherit? When I get it I'd make Wood, Brady and Azure get Lightning Speed from their mothers since they wouldn't be able to get it naturally, and it seems the best option from the female only classes (better than Refresh, Lance Expert and Dual Support+, the other interesting options I've seen). From the male only classes, I'd try to pass Counter, Wrath or Axe Expert to their daughter (if possible), in that order.

So, finally which pairings did you do and what skills did you make the kids inherit? When I get it I'd make Wood, Brady and Azure get Lightning Speed from their mothers since they wouldn't be able to get it naturally, and it seems the best option from the female only classes (better than Refresh, Lance Expert and Dual Support+, the other interesting options I've seen). From the male only classes, I'd try to pass Counter, Wrath or Axe Expert to their daughter (if possible), in that order.

One thing I found is that getting a character to LV15 promoted takes quite a bit of time, and I didn't feel like grinding that much, so I didn't get many of those skills until I had recruited all the kids I was getting in the main story - and even that was a bit later than I would have preferred. The only notable skills I passed down were Carrier to Mark and Jerome and Rainbow Cry to Jerome. Both turned out to be great choices: Mark went Griffin Knight and quickly surpassed Serge in combat while matching her role as a long-distance transporter, while Jerome mostly focused on utility with his flight and offer of crazy stat boosts.

One thing I found is that getting a character to LV15 promoted takes quite a bit of time, and I didn't feel like grinding that much, so I didn't get many of those skills until I had recruited all the kids I was getting in the main story - and even that was a bit later than I would have preferred. The only notable skills I passed down were Carrier to Mark and Jerome and Rainbow Cry to Jerome. Both turned out to be great choices: Mark went Griffin Knight and quickly surpassed Serge in combat while matching her role as a long-distance transporter, while Jerome mostly focused on utility with his flight and offer of crazy stat boosts.

And can you get Jerome and Mark to be Tacticians/Grandmasters?

And can you get Jerome and Mark to be Tacticians/Grandmasters?

Yep. Same reclass options as an MU of their gender, including those two special classes.

No real planning or strategy went into any of these, but if you're curious, these are pairings I went with during the main story:

Krom x Soiree

Othin x Serge

Viole x Saria

Vake x Tiamo

Sol x Miriel

I also made the first three of these during the postgame for completion stuff, and I'm currently working on the next three:

Henry x Nono

Rivera x Liz

Grego x Olivia

Ronku x Mariabel

Richt x Velvet

Callum x Sumia

These are completely random, since I haven't ever been using Mariabel, Richt, or Sumia at all, so I just keep them in Double.

Edited by Othin

how hard is it to train up the dancer girl in this game? can she start melee fighting at the point she joins or would i need a forge? im not really one for dancers cuz in my opinion they tend to get in the way just as often as they help out, but im thinkin of using her as a myrmidon or a dark peg. and also idk if you tried at all but how do dark pegs measure up to other units? like vs dark knight? my god i cant wait for my copy to come in the mail =D

Olivia seems really weak at combat; she gains Exp fast from dancing but getting her to LV10 to reclass will take a while.

Dark Pegs are scary as enemies; I have Tiamo as a Dark Peg but it's hard to compare with her because she only reclassed to it after gaining a ton of levels as a Bow Knight so she's ahead of most of my other units regardless. Their skills are awesome, though.

Seems FE13 carries over the tradition of having reinforcements appear at the start of the player phase on the higher difficulty levels. More notably, even if the reinforcements are coming out of a fort, you can't block them: they'll just start in an adjacent space and kill your healer anyway. This, too, seems to be specific to the higher difficulty levels, and I don't think I like it.

Ugh, I hate start of enemy turn reinforcements, even worse that you can't block them. Fake difficulty at its finest. No fun having to restart because you didn't know something was gonna pop up and murder your healer, and sometimes you cant afford to have a totally defended rear either.

There's not much strategy involved in someone murdering your healer without the ability to stop it.

Callum x Sumia

Callum can support Sumia? Hmm, so that's a pairing the main site is missing then. I think I'll go with that pair on most runs, just because I don't feel like using either of them much and she has (apparently) few options.

Also, whenever I see your MyUnit name among the characters, it gets me hyped a little that Othin will eventually be released in a spotpass since he has an axe named after him (which is sadly not Pugi). I hope Halvan tags along, but that may be hoping too much.