Othin Plays FE13!

Othin

Ugh, I hate start of enemy turn reinforcements, even worse that you can't block them. Fake difficulty at its finest. No fun having to restart because you didn't know something was gonna pop up and murder your healer, and sometimes you cant afford to have a totally defended rear either.

There's not much strategy involved in someone murdering your healer without the ability to stop it.

Being unable to block them isn't a big deal. If you know when and where they're spawning, you should be able to deal with them.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being unable to block them isn't a big deal. If you know when and where they're spawning, you should be able to deal with them.

For someone playing without a guide (like many of the players right now), that would be hard to expect and would require some restarting.

For someone playing without a guide (like many of the players right now), that would be hard to expect and would require some restarting.

Yeah, except that my point was that being unable to block them isn't a big deal since if you don't know where they're coming from, you wouldn't be able to block them anyway.

If you know when and where they're spawning, you should be able to deal with them.

See, that's the problem. Unless you're reading a guide or a walkthrough, you're not going to know. Which means there's a very good chance of getting jumped and having to reset at least once. It's just a bad gameplay mechanic that tries to be "challenging" but it's really just "annoying."

Edit: Yeah not being able to block them isn't a big deal, it's not my primary concern anyway. It's the start of enemy phase reinforcements in general.

Edited by ZephyrShakuraus

Yeah, except that my point was that being unable to block them isn't a big deal since if you don't know where they're coming from, you wouldn't be able to block them anyway.

In some of the games there are visual cues like strange and open corners, or the usual forts and stairs, which from skimming over a few LPs of this game, don't appear to be the usual spawn points. I understand what you mean, but from the sound of it, if you by random chance had one of your characters where the reinforcement would normally appear, he would then appear on a space next to it, which could be be in the back of a formation you might have had, and that would mean your weak characters are in range for an immediate attack on a harder difficulty.

I don't know if it applies in FE:A too, but in previous FE's you knew enemies would not appear in the middle of the map unless there was a fort/stairs/cave/shady-opening there so you could arrange a formation against possibilities. Now you have to figure out where they come from or you might get the enemy inside the formation. As Zephyr said, this wouldn't be bad if you could act immediately afterward to remove the threat.

Still pretty dickish if they can reach your units on the turn they spawn, though, if you are going at it without a guide. Just earlier I was playing C19 of FE12 Lunatic, and on turn 6 EP 12 Dracoknights spawn on the 3 corners of the map, without warning. First time I encountered that, Marth was down at the village recruiting Roshea and got 4 Dracos in his face that pretty much kills him and Roshea without as much as a warning. ALL OF MY HATE.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Ugh, I hate start of enemy turn reinforcements, even worse that you can't block them. Fake difficulty at its finest. No fun having to restart because you didn't know something was gonna pop up and murder your healer, and sometimes you cant afford to have a totally defended rear either.

There's not much strategy involved in someone murdering your healer without the ability to stop it.

If you've played normal beforehand you'd probably remember you can't block them though and which ones appear in each chapters. In Kouli's playthrough(on youtube) a late game chapter has Dracoknights exclusively coming out of one fort, which weren't a threat on normal.

Edited by arvilino

Do skills work in conjunction with Brave weapons?

Haven't tried it. What I can say is that Dual Attacks are kinda weird with them. You have a chance for a Dual Attack on either hit of a Brave weapon, but if the ally has a Brave weapon, they'll get two attacks.

How strong is the weapon triangle?

Seems to be a lot like the DS games: +5 Hit and negates the enemy's weapon rank bonus. It gets a bit more relevant in Lunatic where every enemy has A rank in their weapons.

The only difference in weapon rank bonuses seems to be that axes not give +1 Mt and +10 Hit at A rank instead of just +15 Hit. I don't know which weapon rank adds the Mt, though.

Callum can support Sumia? Hmm, so that's a pairing the main site is missing then. I think I'll go with that pair on most runs, just because I don't feel like using either of them much and she has (apparently) few options.

Also, whenever I see your MyUnit name among the characters, it gets me hyped a little that Othin will eventually be released in a spotpass since he has an axe named after him (which is sadly not Pugi). I hope Halvan tags along, but that may be hoping too much.

Uh, shit. No wonder they were never increasing their support level.

Sumia x Frederick then.

I would expect that if you were playing Hard Mode, you would already have played Normal and be rather familiar with it.

At least, in this game, if you're playing Hard Mode, you would do well to make sure that that's the case. Not the place to start.

So uh, how many levels were you able to go through in each class? Like, did you promote/Reclass instantly at level 10, or wait?

Also, is the WEXP kill bonus present?

As of postgame, my highest-leveled character is Sol: Cavalier 10 --> Myrmidon 10 --> Swordmaster 15 --> Assassin 13, so far.

Don't know about WExp gains.

Is there any generic enemy/ generic boss Manakete? Or only the playable ones?

No enemies, just playable. Although I support enemy SpotPass and StreetPass teams can have them.

No enemies, just playable. Although I support enemy SpotPass and StreetPass teams can have them.

Thanks. I guess that kills the chance of doing something like using Dragon Laguz (reclassed to Manaketes) as Spotpass characters... Because they won't have a male model for the class, just two female ones.

Edited by NeonZ

I would expect that if you were playing Hard Mode, you would already have played Normal and be rather familiar with it.

At least, in this game, if you're playing Hard Mode, you would do well to make sure that that's the case. Not the place to start.

Are the reinforcements any different in Normal than in Hard, though? For example I didn't have issues with the reinforcements that I knew existed when I was playing Lunatic since I played Hard about 3 times before, but it's the Lunatic only ambush spawns that I had no way of knowing unless I read some guide that really screws me up.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

I think a big difference in the reinforcements in this game is that unlike FE12 Lunatic mode, you don't have things like Dracoknights and Wyverns with their 10 and 12 move and Wyverns 1-2 range.

At most the enemies have 8 move so the reinforcements can't traverse a large portion of the map before you get your turn again.

this will be fun on hader modes

cue assiasian with pass yah fun cue dark pegasus hitting your low res untis who can't counter attack with magic before you can move yay, cue sage hitting your pegeis with wind magic or bow knights killing them yah have fun with that

Are the reinforcements any different in Normal than in Hard, though? For example I didn't have issues with the reinforcements that I knew existed when I was playing Lunatic since I played Hard about 3 times before, but it's the Lunatic only ambush spawns that I had no way of knowing unless I read some guide that really screws me up.

I haven't seen differences yet in Hard, but Lunatic might be different.

Finally dragged myself through Lunatic Ch2. Took 21 turns and just as many minutes, although the turn count was mainly because I stopped to heal at the forts between the two waves of enemies. With the enemies now using Steel weapons, and even the Soldiers able to double (and of course 2HKO) half my team, I had to proceed carefully, letting Frederick take most of the attacks and using everyone else for support. The Silver Lance is now down to 15 uses, which is concerning, but at least I'm getting some better weapons to make it less necessary. Fortunately, I was able to get plenty of kills for my other characters, including the boss kill for Krom. The boss was tricky since he now moves and has has a Short Axe, Gamble, 40 HP, 17 Str, and 13 Spd, but once I was able to get rid of the other enemies and keep him distracted by Krom and Frederick in the middle where they could use the forts for defenses, he became not so much of a threat.

In some of the games there are visual cues like strange and open corners, or the usual forts and stairs, which from skimming over a few LPs of this game, don't appear to be the usual spawn points. I understand what you mean, but from the sound of it, if you by random chance had one of your characters where the reinforcement would normally appear, he would then appear on a space next to it, which could be be in the back of a formation you might have had, and that would mean your weak characters are in range for an immediate attack on a harder difficulty.

Obviously it's a bad thing if the spawn points aren't in "obvious" locations so the player can try to plan around them, but specifically being unable to block spawn points is not a bad thing.

And it's not like this is the first FE to do this. You could not block spawn points in FE9 and FE10 either.

I don't know if it applies in FE:A too, but in previous FE's you knew enemies would not appear in the middle of the map unless there was a fort/stairs/cave/shady-opening there so you could arrange a formation against possibilities.

And how do you know that isn't the case right now? Have you played the game? Is it reasonable to assume that enemies will spawn right in the middle of the map?

Still pretty dickish if they can reach your units on the turn they spawn, though, if you are going at it without a guide. Just earlier I was playing C19 of FE12 Lunatic, and on turn 6 EP 12 Dracoknights spawn on the 3 corners of the map, without warning. First time I encountered that, Marth was down at the village recruiting Roshea and got 4 Dracos in his face that pretty much kills him and Roshea without as much as a warning. ALL OF MY HATE.

Lunatic isn't supposed to be "fair" :P

Edited by Anouleth

In NM/HM, I only ever remember seeing reinforcements appear from map edges, forts, or other obvious areas. Don't know if it applies to Lunatic, but it seems to fit otherwise.

Edited by Othin

Uh, shit. No wonder they were never increasing their support level.

Sumia x Frederick then.

Uh, too bad then. Awesome Sol btw.

And how do you know that isn't the case right now? Have you played the game? Is it reasonable to assume that enemies will spawn right in the middle of the map.

I said "I don't know if it applies in FE:A too" since I just know from what I've seen of what appear to be normal playthroughs, mostly JRPG2020 and some nicovideo folk I don't recall the names of. If I recall, chapter 21(?) has a lot of stairs in the middle of the map and some in the corners, and since the path's a bit narrow, I just wondered if they come from the stairs/corners but then move a space or two from them. It's just my assumption. The only random and cue-less spawning of reinforcements I can think of right now is in RD part 4 because they were warped. I forgot the moving aside happened in FE9/10 too, my bad.

Othin, have you gotten anything with your Fame points? How much do you have right now?

I said "I don't know if it applies in FE:A too" since I just know from what I've seen of what appear to be normal playthroughs, mostly JRPG2020 and some nicovideo folk I don't recall the names of. If I recall, chapter 21(?) has a lot of stairs in the middle of the map and some in the corners, and since the path's a bit narrow, I just wondered if they come from the stairs/corners but then move a space or two from them. It's just my assumption. The only random and cue-less spawning of reinforcements I can think of right now is in RD part 4 because they were warped. I forgot the moving aside happened in FE9/10 too, my bad.

Even in FE9/10 they always came from the sides of the map.

Othin, have you gotten anything with your Fame points? How much do you have right now?

Well, I've made all the pairings now and gotten all the characters, so yay.

FE13 Ch21? That one does indeed have reinforcements coming specifically from those stairs. Sorcerer with siege magic from the outer ones, regular enemies from the others.

Even in FE9/10 they always came from the sides of the map.

Not always, I recall a purge!bishop and another enemy in the middle of the river in 4-P, an annoying Blizzard!mage reinforcement coming in the very middle of the map in 4-2 (the Valtome map), and dracoknights not in the exact corners from where you started in the next desert chapter. Some spirits appeared in the middle during endgame, but those maps were small and their position doesn't matter. I don't recall anymore.

Well, I've made all the pairings now and gotten all the characters, so yay.

FE13 Ch21? That one does indeed have reinforcements coming specifically from those stairs. Sorcerer with siege magic from the outer ones, regular enemies from the others.

Congrats! Alright, something to watch out for.

Edited by Silent Mercenary

Have you never bought anything in the E-Shop? I'm pretty sure you'll need to put some credits there, in the e-shop, outside of the game, and then return to the game and finally buy the items.

Edited by NeonZ

Makes sense. But no, I've never actually bought points for it. How do you go about doing that? Particularly with a Japanese 3DS but with American dollars.

So does anyone know how to get points to spend on DLC? I'm still completely confused.

You'll need eShop points. I just found out that the Japanese shop apparently accepts foreign credit cards. I'm not sure on this, but if it doesn't work you can buy some Japanese prepaid cards. Sucks that I just found that the former possibly works because I just spent some money getting a prepaid card. Either way, if you're looking for those, www.yesasia.com is only place online I found thus far that sells them.