Round 58 SF Splicing Competition

Vampire Elf

LOl same here, first ever mug was so messy and I used HueSat lol

Yeah. It's really just about cleaning up the shading well and yeah, I use custom palettes. That usually gets it down to 16 well enough, though sometimes I accidentally forget parts and it ends up 17 or 18. I make a new file for the sprite and set it to index colours in image->mode and that's where I reduce all my colours. Fill Bucket has a few nice options like Anti-Alias option off and Contiguous off. Contiguous on lets you fill parts like Paint does (i. e. circle offed areas get filled and nowhere else) and off means you can turn all pixels in one colour on that layer into the colour of your choosing, which is great for recolouring. That's also good for cleaning up splices where you use that to make all of several colours just one.

Lasso tool helps too with anti-alias off. You want magic wand to have a tolerance of around 2 to select a single colour without affecting nearby similar colours, and again with anti-alias deselected and contiguous on/off to your needs.

And thanks :D

I just use PS because it's that one program I use for everything. When I custom I draw out a bigger sketch in PS then resize it down to sprite size and that helps as well. I do pretty much everything in it that PS can handle, including math notes lol

Edited by Fat Bunny

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Karel, you freaky bastard.

Splice58Karel-2.png

Inspired by Vamp's signature.

No Karel was used btw, just his colour. :)

Proof stuff:

Proof-1.png

Chin is Geitz, the neck detail is from Geitz, and the eyebrow is from Geitz as well. Just saying it here because those parts aren't in the above part.

Edited by eCut

@Free - But irony isn't about inside jokes?

x3

Don't think I can link to the specific status and if I can idk how.

I was told that I am "fluffy" so now I always call myself fluffy. And I'm the one spriter that didn't include fluff in their sprite D=

Probably gonna be a completely repetitive post because too much text when about to go to bed Heehee yeah splicing competitions are pretty good at helping new spriters improve. I should go search through my older entries that I put in these XD But the cool thing for me to think about is that since I still have lots of room to improve in, I will only just keep getting better with these~

The other reason that isn't trying to win that I hope doesn't only apply to me... I often have trouble coming up with ideas for spriting and since I'm lazy I let others do my work for me XD People will just put up a set of mugs and I come to check out the topic to see if anything clicks in my mind.

While I'm fairly artistic I seem to have an "Artist's Block" like 97% of the time or something x3 But since I'm never really interested in anything else that isn't artistic and also don't have a life otherwise I'm also in the mood for nothing else, so I end up constantly in the mood to do something creative... with nothing to do because my mind always comes up blank.

It's sad ;~;

Yeah thats my problem too. Im a bit limited anyway but the oodles of creativity that some people have here just..blow me out of the water. Its mostly the creativity thing and not me being a lousy spriter. (just a wee bit limited) So totally understand!

29atsgx.jpg

Okay fixed stray pixels and shit :B proof see my old post on the page before

Jaqen H'ghar? because...hells yes. (lol)

Oh Karel, you freaky bastard.

Splice58Karel.png

Inspired by Vamp's signature.

No Karel was used btw, just his colour. :)

Proof stuff:

Proof-1.png

Chin is Geitz, the neck detail is from Geitz, and the eyebrow is from Geitz as well. Just saying it here because those parts aren't in the above part.

Holy Sexy Karel, Batman!

Maaan this round is gonna be hard with the votings!

Dunno who that is, lol, just made up some chick so any resemblance to existing characters is purely accidental.

tumblr_m3bqhsGVly1qi369ko1_500.gif

That's him. He's from Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire. Your genderbent Geitz resembles him with the white-streak thing.

Dunno who that is, lol, just made up some chick so any resemblance to existing characters is purely accidental.

DATS A LADY? hehe! Yeah im gonna go with Jaqen with tits. :B Hell! it might even get my vote! :o:

Now i got another spriting idea. Gotta finish dat Sansa though...

Edited by Florina

Holy Sexy Karel, Batman!

Maaan this round is gonna be hard with the votings!

Thank you dearly . :)

And I completely agree! I want to vote for like everyone. tongue.gif

Also, does anyone else think Karel's hair has too much contrast? I made a different palette but I don't know which I prefer.

Splice58Karel.png or Splice58Karel-1.png

Edited by eCut

Yeah I also like the second but maybe also try going a little inbetween because (imo at least) there almost seems to be too little of it now. It could be just me, though~

Oh yeah it could just be because I'm seeing them sitting next to each other and it just makes the other look like it has too little contrast.

Edited by Freohr Datia

Thanks for your input girls. :) (Hehe I can finally say it without call a bunch of guys girls ^.^)

I'll try to make the second one have a little more contrast to see what that's like!

Edit:

OP updated with final colour. :)

Edited by eCut

Hmm yeah think that one looks better =o

And on an unrelated note first it was telling me you made that post at 2:28 am and suddenly it switched to 2:29 am and I am so confuzzled right now

Also, does anyone else think Karel's hair has too much contrast? I made a different palette but I don't know which I prefer.

The second one has much smoother colors. Go with that one~

Sweet fuck!

One thing though, he doesn't seem to be as large as the Karels in FE6 and Fe7. Let out his shoulders some on each side and raise him a pixel or two higher.

Dayum. Eyebrows don't seem to be very even but wow that's nice.:)

@Nayr: He is actually only a pixel shorter(width-wise) than fe7 Karel and is the same height but I'll see what I can do! Thanks. :)

Edited by eCut

Pretty fluffy stuuuuffs =D

Maybe she's raising an eyebrow =o

It almost looks like the shoulder armour thingy might fall off her shoulder though or at least be rather loose fitting... But that'd be a shame because it would mean getting rid of some of the real pretty design =[