[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

it says in the trailer "contains 10 playable chapters"

:S

unless you're trying to save yourself by saying you don't know if 10 chapters is the full length of the hack(I think it would say complete if it was, so there goes that theory)

It's kinda pathetic to try and save face over something like that; I simply didn't notice the 10 chapter bit. If it were in the trailer footage, I was probably paying more attention to the game stuff.

EDIT: Oh, it was at the end of the trailer. I had already left within the last few seconds.

Edited by Celice

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't even know this existed until like...right now, but dude I am so hype for this. That's some hella sick music you go in there too. Will most certainly be playing this. Congrats on making it this far man, I'm sure your work will be a pleasure to play. :)

Thank you very much Vestige, I hope so. :)

Haha. I'm kinda really glad we ragged on this back in the day, if we hadn't, you might've thought it was alright and never tried to bring the hack up to this level.

I'm really impressed. MK404 and I are going to make some videos on it (on his channel) when you release it, so feel free to check them out at some point.

Eww man.

I should probably tell you two things.

Firstly, THANK YOU. Your criticism has been really precious. Your words resonated in my mind every time I was lazy (feel free to laugh at this, but I'm not kidding. Whenever I had to better some aspect of the hack, I could hear you saying "IT'S STILL NOT THAT GOOD. GOOD LUCK WITH THE PROBLEMS.")

Secondly, HOLY CRAP MAN. You were mean. :c I've been depressed for months because of those critiques. I didn't update the topic for months because I feared the critiques, is that even normal on a public forum!? I think you could have been a bit nicer. But anyway, it's part of the past, and I was a butthurt cocky newbie so that served me as a lesson. Just know that everybody else would have dropped the project that moment, lel

Jokes apart, I'm really looking forward to your videos, guys! ^^ It makes me really happy to know that you'll be making those.

holy shit it's been a while, and im really impressed with what you've done!

Thanks fuzz! ;D

While I am in more anticipation for Shatterlight, just the teeniest bit, I'm very excited to play MS as well :O

... M-More anticipation for Shatterlight? Why?? I even have the Fatass! ;A;

jk jk, as long as it's for Shatterlight I forgive you. u.u

@Skitty: Don't use Swagger on Celice, he has the Own Tempo ability and you only boost his attack that way.

But in all seriousness, come on, don't tease each other for silly stuff like that. :c

Secondly, HOLY CRAP MAN. You were mean. :c I've been depressed for months because of those critiques. I didn't update the topic for months because I feared the critiques, is that even normal on a public forum!? I think you could have been a bit nicer. But anyway, it's part of the past, and I was a butthurt cocky newbie so that served me as a lesson. Just know that everybody else would have dropped the project that moment, lel

I was going to mention this earlier but didn't: there's a way to go about things, and I think Al is the exception as far as ragging being helpful goes. He managed to push through with sheer willpower despite being torn apart/depressed, whereas most people would have quit--like many people have done in the past. The product ended up better, but just because it works one out of ten times (at the cost of people's time, self-confidence, and other things), doesn't mean it should keep happening, and you definitely shouldn't be happy about it when somebody could've had the same positive effect as you without all the added negative effects.

Eww man.

Firstly, THANK YOU. Your criticism has been really precious. Your words resonated in my mind every time I was lazy (feel free to laugh at this, but I'm not kidding. Whenever I had to better some aspect of the hack, I could hear you saying "IT'S STILL NOT THAT GOOD. GOOD LUCK WITH THE PROBLEMS.")

Jokes apart, I'm really looking forward to your videos, guys! ^^ It makes me really happy to know that you'll be making those.

CRUSH THE NOOBIE

yeah i used to be p. mean

i've gotten better

i won't deny that i shouldn't have been as harsh, but back then it was hard for me to stop when presented with resistance that i interpreted as cocky/naive.

less so now

and in the end it worked out, so no harm no foul |D

or, lots of harm, no effect, no foul? something cheesy and proverby

Whatever the case, I apologize for causing such emotional concern.

We'll record them the day that you pop the hack out, so they shouldn't take too long to upload after that.

Edited by I have opinions

Thank you very much Vestige, I hope so. :)

Eww man.

Thanks fuzz! ;D

... M-More anticipation for Shatterlight? Why?? I even have the Fatass! ;A;

jk jk, as long as it's for Shatterlight I forgive you. u.u

@Skitty: Don't use Swagger on Celice, he has the Own Tempo ability and you only boost his attack that way.

But in all seriousness, come on, don't tease each other for silly stuff like that. :c

I really has tons of respect for you.

Not only this hack looks amazing, but you never abandonned and always did your best.

I'm eager to play it.

The Hype Train is near :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXu4ryHIMPM&list=PLC2AE62D22D392C06&index=21

Edited by shytende

I was going to mention this earlier but didn't: there's a way to go about things, and I think Al is the exception as far as ragging being helpful goes. He managed to push through with sheer willpower despite being torn apart/depressed, whereas most people would have quit--like many people have done in the past. The product ended up better, but just because it works one out of ten times (at the cost of people's time, self-confidence, and other things), doesn't mean it should keep happening, and you definitely shouldn't be happy about it when somebody could've had the same positive effect as you without all the added negative effects.

Yeah, that's true.

Well, we'll all do better in the future, right~? ;)

And imo the community has become a lot more welcoming in the past months.

CRUSH THE NOOBIE

yeah i used to be p. mean

i've gotten better

i won't deny that i shouldn't have been as harsh, but back then it was hard for me to stop when presented with resistance that i interpreted as cocky/naive.

less so now

and in the end it worked out, so no harm no foul |D

or, lots of harm, no effect, no foul? something cheesy and proverby

Whatever the case, I apologize for causing such emotional concern.

We'll record them the day that you pop the hack out, so they shouldn't take too long to upload after that.

ALL THE NEWBIES

It's okay, Trent. ^^ I'm glad it's settled.

Nngh, can't wait to see those videos. (I've already repeated this, like, 5 times. I'm really looking forward to it, ahah)

I really has tons of respect for you.

Not only this hack looks amazing, but you never abandonned and always did your best.

Thanks, man. :)

You've been one of the first people here who encouraged me and had faith in my work.

and we had lots of fun in the pokémon section too

Oh and with Bravely Default as well

A few extra notes:

- You can't access the Tower of Trials in v. 1.0. I must work on it some more.

- Supports are not... supported in v. 1.0. I want to make them play as actual events rather than plain text edits, and that'll take me a while.

- As for now, Enemy/NPC characters will use some placeholder mugs. Most of them are just recolors. All of the playable characters will have full custom mugs, though.

- Someone on reddit was wondering if the writing in Midnight Sun was any good. Apparently that "an unique" in the trailer caused a bit of a ruckus. While my English isn't perfect, I've been helped by Wayward Winds on the script. He proofread it like a boss. Seriously, he did a great job correcting all my grammar atrocities, haha! So there shouldn't be any mistakes, hopefully. Ah, we're using British English rather than American English. It was my choice to do so, since this project was born in Europe. Simple as that.

Less than 24 hours left!

Edited by Alfred Kamon

I had a feeling someone would call you out on the English. I really, really hope there aren't any asshats who are like

"Omg this hack has poor grammar who wrote this a 10 year old" or something dumb dumb like that.

I do hope that "an unique" was changed, 'cause american or british english, that doesn't make sense

I'm sure that at least 90% of the text will be just fine o3o7

Edited by I have opinions

Hype!

it's already 23rd in Japan dude!

soon it's revealed you meant May, 23rd of 2015 after all

If you go by Alfred's time (Italy), It's 9:15. :P

Also, a/an with regards to preceding a word is actually based off sound, not letter, as is often taught. It's commonly distorted fact.

Anyone who puts forth non constructive disparagement of Alfred not being a native English is really just contributing to this community's already too-prominent desire to tear down pretty much every project ever put forth.

r/fireemblem is also pretty reprehensible, so I wouldn't concern myself overmuch with them.

Edited by Siuloir

This still looks super-hype and I'm dying to get my hands on this.

Also looking forward to Duggers trying to LP this with Ray.

Bwahah, I'm glad to see you're all hyped. X3

If you go by Alfred's time (Italy), It's 9:15. :P

Also, a/an with regards to preceding a word is actually based off sound, not letter, as is often taught. It's commonly distorted fact.

Anyone who puts forth non constructive disparagement of Alfred not being a native English is really just contributing to this community's already too-prominent desire to tear down pretty much every project ever put forth.

r/fireemblem is also pretty reprehensible, so I wouldn't concern myself overmuch with them.

Thank you for your kind words, Siuloir. ^^

And yeah, for some reason I thought that you always used "an" before a vocal. I think they taught me that back in middle school... they were wrong, then. Or I didn't follow the lessons properly (ahah).

I wonder if he's launching the patch the instant it turns 23 over at his place.

That was my plan, at first.

But I underestimated the amount of work I still had to do.

And I want everything to be purrrfect... I'm such a perfectionist at times, lel

I'll be releasing it around 6 pm, Italian time. (12 am in New York)

Edited by Alfred Kamon

And yeah, for some reason I thought that you always used "an" before a vocal. I think they taught me that back in middle school... they were wrong, then. Or I didn't follow the lessons properly (ahah).

I am very hyped yes ^_^

Also, you use "an" before a word that starts with a vowel; any other time, it's an "a".

Just making sure...

So it's 12 AM EST (NY Time) on May 23rd? :D

u is a vowel so you'd expect to put an, uh, an before unique but english is full of nasty little tricks and pitfalls like that. It's a bitch of a language really.

Also props on using the Queen's English like a proper, reasonable person.

I got conscripted to do work while he's asleep.

Because timezones.

A few minor graphical fixes were made to two animations:

MJovigb.gifevo5xAq.gif

This one as bugging out on a miss animation:

e6etWZ4.gifx17xlJe.gif

Edited by shadowofchaos

u is a vowel so you'd expect to put an, uh, an before unique but english is full of nasty little tricks and pitfalls like that. It's a bitch of a language really.

Also props on using the Queen's English like a proper, reasonable person.

It's honestly because every school started teaching it as 'an before vowels', but it's really based off of the sound of the word that follows it, and since unique has a consonant sound (yoo), you get the A.

That's actually a really common teaching error, especially in modern times. Totally not your fault.

It's honestly because every school started teaching it as 'an before vowels', but it's really based off of the sound of the word that follows it, and since unique has a consonant sound (yoo), you get the A.

That's actually a really common teaching error, especially in modern times. Totally not your fault.

Which is why usually I just sound it out but for a nonnative speaker it's much more difficult. Before vowels is a good general rule, mostly because kindergarten kids wouldn't do very well with something that complex.

Or for one of the numerous other possibilities but that's a sidenote.

IIRC, my nitpicks early in the topic were sprites, not the script. I'll make my decisions about the script/story when I can play it (which was my sentiment way back when). From what I can tell, it's much cleaner than when it was first showcased, which is good~!

Also, I get this on the 22nd~! WOO HAWAII~!

I got conscripted to do work while he's asleep.

Because timezones.

A few minor graphical fixes were made to two animations:

MJovigb.gifevo5xAq.gif

This one as bugging out on a miss animation:

e6etWZ4.gifx17xlJe.gif

Is Fara's PRF tome a combination of....Flux, Fimbulvetr and a couple of other things? Pretty well done.