Something that bugs me about SwordMasters

ever since i first saw one in FE13, i have always wondered why Sword Masters carry 3 swords but only use 1, and their sprite uses 2...

why dose a swords master not use 2 swords?

besides Astra not much els sets them apart from an assassin and most people that i see chose assassin or trickster over swordmaster

i know just making them dual wield would not add much difference, but it would look cool.

there was another strategy game i played where they had a class called Duelist and you could equip 2 swords to them and they alternated between the stats of both swords

ofc that maybe a bit OP in FE so they could have have 2 different swords, so they both have the stats of the sword you actually have equip or something.

just don't deceive us with a duel wielding sprite, and a character model with 2 sheathed swords and carrying another!

first time i saw that i thought that Sword Master was going to go all Zolo on me. x-x

share your thoughts!

do you think swordsmasters should dual wiled, or are they fine the way they are?

and which do you like better, Swords Master, Assassin, or Trickster?

and why? =0

Edited by Shikihime

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Sword Masters. My first MU was a sword master who specialized in critical hits and lethality. Sure, Assassins have higher strength/skill caps, but that doesn't make it any less awesome when he runs up to the middle of a crowd with a forged killing edge, gets dropped to 1/2 health and goes up to an 80% crit rate while attacking first on all those suckers who run up to him! Not to mention his lethality looks 200% cooler than that of an assassin's. If you don't have DLC, use swordmaster just for Swordfaire and the extra 5 (15 on crits) damage it gives you. Swordfaire still out-hits aggressor (Demon Hunter) because swordfaire stays active across both phases whereas aggressor only activates during your own turn, in which case you'd only be able to finish off 2 enemies max. If your swordmaster is meant as a player-phase spiker, aggressor's the way to go. If it's an enemy-phase spiker as I've made mine, swordfaire's better.

I love Sword Masters. My first MU was a sword master who specialized in critical hits and lethality. Sure, Assassins have higher strength/skill caps, but that doesn't make it any less awesome when he runs up to the middle of a crowd with a forged killing edge, gets dropped to 1/2 health and goes up to an 80% crit rate while attacking first on all those suckers who run up to him! Not to mention his lethality looks 200% cooler than that of an assassin's. If you don't have DLC, use swordmaster just for Swordfaire and the extra 5 (15 on crits) damage it gives you. Swordfaire still out-hits aggressor (Demon Hunter) because swordfaire stays active across both phases whereas aggressor only activates during your own turn, in which case you'd only be able to finish off 2 enemies max. If your swordmaster is meant as a player-phase spiker, aggressor's the way to go. If it's an enemy-phase spiker as I've made mine, swordfaire's better.

3 is max*

and thats cool and all (i kinda already knew all that)

but you did not answer the question, sillie

dual wielding? do you think they should, i think they should it would look so much cooler IMO

besides Astra nothing sets them apart from an assassin and most people that i see chose assassin or trickster over swordmaster

Really? I'd imagine Swordmaster is the first choice of the three in most situations. I LOVE the Trickster class for people that start in it, but otherwise I don't see it as a particularly great choice. Meanwhile, I'd imagine both Astra and Swordfaire would be more alluring than Lethality with it's Skill/4 activation and also think Swordmasters are easily the most popular of the three.

edit concerning dual wielding: considering you can only equip one actual weapon onto the person at a time, I'd prefer they didn't.

Edited by Sublime Manic

Yeah, it did annoy me that I couldn't dual wield swords; the sprite looked so cool. It could be an interesting feature to compliment for future FEs (dual wielding weapons) but I'm not entirely sure how they'd go about doing that....I'd like to see it though!

besides Astra nothing sets them apart from an assassin and most people that i see chose assassin or trickster over swordmaster

People choose Assassin as their end class because it has higher Strength and Skill (for Astra activation and other such skills) than the Swordmaster, and has access to Bows, ensuring they have easy access to weapons that can attack either directly or from afar. Likewise, People more geared towards Magic choose Trickster because it has much more Magic than the Swordmaster has and can use Staves, which means more powerful Levin Swords and access to healing and Rescue utility. That said, the Tricksters you get in this game are already pretty useful from the get-go.

Really? I'd imagine Swordmaster is the first choice of the three in most situations. I LOVE the Trickster class for people that start in it, but otherwise I don't see it as a particularly great choice. Meanwhile, I'd imagine both Astra and Swordfaire would be more alluring than Lethality with it's Skill/4 activation and also think Swordmasters are easily the most popular of the three.

edit concerning dual wielding: considering you can only equip one actual weapon onto the person at a time, I'd prefer they didn't.

in my experience with enough luck Lethality activate fairly often

My MU has both and uses Lethalithy more often then Astra.

also Astra kills your weapon for no real reason, and most people with access to Astra don't have access to Armshift

Personally i usualy just snag sword fair, and go either trickster or assassin

and i would like it if they had 2 swords even if it is actually just one weapon it would look pretty cool

i mean SMs are super flashy already why not... "sweeten the deal?" -Gaius

Lol

Edited by Shikihime

in my experience with enough luck Lethality activate fairly often

My MU has both and uses Lethalithy more often then Astra.

also Astra kills your weapon for no real reason, and most people with access to Astra don't have access to Armshift

Personally i usualy just snag sword fair, and go either trickster or assassin

and i would like it if they had 2 swords even if it is just one weapon it would look pretty cool

i mean SMs are super flashy already why not... "sweeten the deal?" -Gaius

Lol

All five hits of Astra take up one weapon usage. So no on that.

Most people prefer not to rely on luck, and Astra activates Skill/2 compared to Skill/4. If you're having Lethality activate all that often, consider yourself particularly lucky, then, I guess.

All five hits of Astra take up one weapon usage. So no on that.

Most people prefer not to rely on luck, and Astra activates Skill/2 compared to Skill/4. If you're having Lethality activate all that often, consider yourself particularly lucky, then, I guess.

all of my characters with lethality use it pretty often actually

thats why i choose it over astra,,, not only that but losing 5pts of dura hurts unless you buy DLC the gold... thing

but for ppl like me who are broke cause all your money went into 2nd and master seals, i want my weapons to last longer

also according to my friends the only reason my old spot pass team was good was because they used lethality almost every other hit.

(Also all the girls had gale force)

Edited by Shikihime

Assassins are better... In my opinion.

Lethality is a better ability than Astra. Pass is useful, about equal with Swordfaire.

I'd take an Assassin over a Swordsmaster any day.

wasent that only in one of the GBA games?

and i think there was one dual wielding class in the GBA games that used 2 swords (i think)

There was no dual-weilding class in the GBA games. Only the sprites, particularly for the Pirates and Assassins were depicted using two of the same weapon. Just because they were depicted using two weapons doesn't mean they can use two weapons.

Lethality is a better ability than Astra.

Lethality may lead to an instant kill, but consider that it has an activation rate of Skill/4 (which can end up to be 12% at most without modifiers and Rightful King). In comparison to a skill that has an activation rate of Skill/2 (which can end up to be 24% at most without modifiers and Rightful King) and is approximately 0.5 damage shy of being a basic critical, Lethality is hardly what I would call "better than Astra". Edited by Little Al

Lethality may lead to an instant kill, but consider that it has an activation rate of Skill/4 (which can end up to be 12% at most without modifiers and Rightful King). In comparison to a skill that has an activation rate of Skill/2 (which can end up to be 24% at most without modifiers and Rightful King) and is approximately 0.5 damage shy of being a basic critical, Lethality is hardly what I would call "better than Astra".

25%, with kids like Chrom!Inigo, who can reach 51skill via assassin (and still get Rightful King passed down immediately) can happen. That's 35% before modifiers for Inigo at max Skill

ever since i first saw one in FE13, i have always wondered why Sword Masters carry 3 swords but only use 1, and their sprite uses 2...

why dose a swords master not use 2 swords?

Why indeed. It'd be cool if there're dual swords as a special class of weapons usable only by them.

share your thoughts!

do you think swordsmasters should dual wiled, or are they fine the way they are?

and why? =0

Swordmaster. While they aren't the strongest, throwing seven-branched swords into enemies is some really pretty sight.

There was no dual-weilding class in the GBA games. Only the sprites, particularly for the Pirates and Assassins were depicted using two of the same weapon. Just because they were depicted using two weapons doesn't mean they can use two weapons.

Lethality may lead to an instant kill, but consider that it has an activation rate of Skill/4 (which can end up to be 12% at most without modifiers and Rightful King). In comparison to a skill that has an activation rate of Skill/2 (which can end up to be 24% at most without modifiers and Rightful King) and is approximately 0.5 damage shy of being a basic critical, Lethality is hardly what I would call "better than Astra".

well like i said they should use 2 it would look cooler IMO

lol

and the activation rate is just fine on lethality.

i use lethality more often then astra thats for sure, and i have both.

and i have no modifiers, besides high luck. (on MU)

honestly though, they are both decent at best but Arstra comes at a terrible price using 5 Dura for absolutely no reason.

and the majority of the people who can learn Astra cant get armshift... wich makes it so that most people dont pick astra

(and even with Armshift you wont always save your Dura)

maybe if it were like how it was back in PoR it only used 1 and all 5 hits connected and dmg was applied after the hits

im pretty sure it always only took 1 even back when it was called shooting star, (i think) it started taking 5 in RD.

as it stands the only ones i gave Astra to was MU and Lucina since parallel Falchion cannot break

Edited by Shikihime

this has been said by 2 other people astra takes one weapon use

that aside i take the sm skills and then go assassin

lol since when? i lose 5 when it activates (if all 5 hits connect)

or should... i say i lose 1 per hit

Edited by Shikihime

That is not how Astra works. It's 1 use for the entire Astra activation, and you can even get critical hits on each of those hits. It's really good. Swordfaire is also very nice. Lethality, while good, is just too unreliable.

Please read.

Astra takes one durability, not 5.

Astra runs off of the Skill stat, and occurs on a chance of (Skill/2)%. The luck stat has nothing to do with the activation rate of Astra.

Lethality runs off of the Skill stat, and occurs on a chance of (Skill/4)%. The luck stat has nothing to do with the activation rate of Lethality.

Even if you max your luck stat, it has absolutely nothing to do with neither Astra nor Lethality.

And once again just to make sure you understand. Astra only uses a single use of a weapon, not 5.

I noticed the map sprites have two swords. Never thought about it beyond that. ._.;

Lethality is meh. It was awesome in the GBA games where it had its own specific animation (turning the screen dark, slightly different crit animation) but in this game all you get is a blinding red screen and shadows. Astra is even more disadvantageous though because of the weapon use decline.

Though it's funny when Astra activates and you pull off five strikes with a weapon that has two uses left. lol

EDIT: @ Above poster: Then how come when my weapon has two uses left, Astra activates, I get four hits in and the sword breaks, hm?

Edited by MagicLeafy

That is not how Astra works. It's 1 use for the entire Astra activation, and you can even get critical hits on each of those hits. It's really good. Swordfaire is also very nice. Lethality, while good, is just too unreliable.

no... i just tested it, like JUST NOW

i got 3 hits off and i went from 25 dura to 22 dura

i lose 1 Dura per hit, im not sure what you guys are talking about

and i never rely on lethality it happens often enough that i don't need to rely on it

Edited by Shikihime

anyway... ignoring this pointless discussion of lethality Vs Astra

since thats not what the topic was about, how do you guys feel about the sprite having 2 swords and the actual model having 3 but SMs only use 1 sword? e-e

share your thoughts!

and why? =0

Swordmasters need to have cooler crit animations like they did in FE6/7/8. I don't care if they have two swords or one. I want them to be awesome.

I like swordmasters best. Mainly because I've always loved swordmasters. But also, female assassins get breasts the size of their heads, trickers look like they have big butts (even if it is just the pants) and swordmasters, while needing SOME form of pants, at least have some kind of short shorts on. I don't care what they really are, I'm saying they're short shorts and nobody can tell me otherwise. D<